Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another interesting offering from Michael Kelly guitars, affordable ingenuity  (Read 771 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:13:24 AM »

I have owned one Michael Kelly guitar that I picked up from Craigslist almost out of scientific curiosity.  It had the strange adjustable neck that came on Babicz and a few Martin guitars.  I paid out $65 for it used, and it was my son's beater guitar for a few years.  The bridge pulled up off the top and didn't really have enough meat to make a repair, so I sold it to a local luthier has some kind of relationship with Babicz.  Even though it was a plywood top on that guitar, the variable set neck was pretty dang cool and it even sounded pretty good before the bridge pulled the plywood apart.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2Go_f7kM0

This one came into my e-mail today, a 10 string with some pretty interesting features, besides being a 10 string:

https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/products/view/triad-10e

These guys are putting in side ports in most of their guitars now.  You may or may not like the non-traditional bridge shape and pin-less design.  I had an old Applause at one time with a pinless bridge and I liked it for the speed of string changes.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »

Really good idea.  I actually used to string my old Yamaha 12 string exactly like this.  Very fun to play and sounds great too.  The neck was a little wide for me and the setup needed to be improved so I did quite a bit of work on the guitar to improve its playability.  Wound up with super slinky strings on it and it played and sounded good with a light touch or picked...

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »

Interesting idea to eliminate the other two strings on the low E and A... similar to that Roger McGuinn 7-string Martin (which only has the G string doubled with an octave string) or the 8-string baritone that Taylor makes (I think the D and G strings both get octaves - is that correct?).

Anyway, that's a good price to try out a guitar with some different concepts built into it.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:23:20 AM »

Yes the Taylor 8 string is a baritone with the middle two with octaves. I have one of those on my lifetime to buy list. I played me at Gruhn guitars and if I ever buy a baritone it will be one of those 8 strings. It is singularly musical and not too hard to selectively play the higher octave strings.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »

[quote author=rockstar_not link=topic=50832.msg447075#msg447075 date=14842

This one came into my e-mail today, a 10 string with some pretty interesting features, besides being a 10 string:

https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/products/view/triad-10e

These guys are putting in side ports in most of their guitars now.  You may or may not like the non-traditional bridge shape and pin-less design.  I had an old Applause at one time with a pinless bridge and I liked it for the speed of string changes.

[/quote]
I have a couple of Michael Kellys,  a MKD52, which is a pretty traditional all-wood acoustic-electric, and one of their Forte Ports, which has the pinless design and a side port, plus the top soundhole is in the upper corner.  Beautiful cross-grain in the top on it, but it's just a solid-top.  I used to have one of their 1967 model electrics, but I sold it.  I like a lot of their guitars.  I've been playing the MKD52 all day today.  It was my first all solid wood guitar. Great bang for your buck guitars.  I mean, the MKD52 is a solid wood acoustic electric with a Fishman Presys Blend preamp, and I bought it new for $600!  That was a few years ago, but prices on guitars haven't changed much since then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: