Taylor guitars. WTF

Started by Walkerman, January 12, 2017, 12:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saw this at RT website.  Wonder if it is because American makers cannot ship guitars out of the country now.

"Thank you for visiting R. Taylor Guitars. Please note that we are currently on hiatus from building new R. Taylor instruments, but that our team of craftspeople remains intact and actively committed to the pursuit of the highest levels of modern artisan-style lutherie. Most recently, our team has focused its creative energies on the design of several small-batch Builder's Reserve offerings in association with Taylor Guitars, and we will continue to pursue the development of inspiring instruments moving forward."

No clue.

But are "R.Taylor" guitars something like a custom shop for Taylor guitars? (Maybe you knew that and assumed some of the rest of us did - I have no idea?). IOW, is "R.Taylor" guitars separate from - or an inside custom shop of - Taylor Guitars?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

R. Taylor was Taylor's attempt to provide an entry into the boutique/handmade market.  I think it was a failure from the start as far as sales and unique product go.  They used the same machines to carve the same parts as the standard line, but assembled them across the street by "select" employees.  They offered a small to medium number of custom options and very few body styles.  Cost 2-3x a similar Taylor and sounded, felt, and built almost exactly the same.  The unit has been closed for years, but true to Taylor smoke and mirrors form, make it sound like it is temporary.  Interesting that Taylor's custom program (which of course has to also be branded "BTO" - build to order) started soon after.

I believe the line did reserve some better cuts of wood, but overall these were hyped up Taylors that failed to compete with established brands in the same price bracket (Goodall, SCGC, myriad custom builders, etc...).

LawDog pretty much nailed it, though I had the impression that they were better than the top Taylors.  That's what people seem to say at least.  I have no interest in Taylor guitars but I've seen a couple cedar topped, 12-fret R Taylors that really intrigued me. Still intrigue me.  They seem to go around $3.5k used.
As was said, they haven't been making R Taylors for a while now.

Regarding US makers not being able to ship out of the country, that's not correct. There's just addl paperwork (and possibly fees) involved on rosewood now.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I'm really surprised that this deal didn't take off better for Taylor, since they are historically very market savvy.  I think of those "Worship" guitars they did once.  Those sold out as fast as they made them. 

I've played some flat out awesome Taylors over the years but have never owned one.  I always thought it was a pretty cool company and very much an American Dream kind of story.

Quote from: Caleb on January 16, 2017, 09:56:01 AM

I've played some flat out awesome Taylors over the years but have never owned one.  I always thought it was a pretty cool company and very much an American Dream kind of story.

Definitely true that Taylor makes beautiful guitars, and they've been very market savvy. I always thought the acoustic tone was a little thin, but in recent years I think they've tried to overcome that issue, with some success. But I doubt I'll ever own one - I have a hard time paying the extra premium for all the advertising they must have to add to the bottom line.

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 16, 2017, 10:17:25 AM
Definitely true that Taylor makes beautiful guitars, and they've been very market savvy. I always thought the acoustic tone was a little thin, but in recent years I think they've tried to overcome that issue, with some success. But I doubt I'll ever own one - I have a hard time paying the extra premium for all the advertising they must have to add to the bottom line.
Those little knobs on the side of the body are a deal-breaker for me, so I don't even pick them up anymore when I'm in a store. But back in the day when I was a new player I used to enjoy trying them out, back when they were fully acoustic guitars.

Quote from: Caleb on January 16, 2017, 10:29:50 AM
Those little knobs on the side of the body are a deal-breaker for me, so I don't even pick them up anymore when I'm in a store. But back in the day when I was a new player I used to enjoy trying them out, back when they were fully acoustic guitars.
Blows my mind that they put those ugly knobs on several thousand dollar guitars. Not that barn doors are any better but you usually don't see them on high end models.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

The best compromise I've seen are the little wheels inside the soundhole on some higher end guitars. I still don't even like those but they are better than the barn door or knobs. All my personal preference.

Quote from: Caleb on January 16, 2017, 12:12:14 PM
The best compromise I've seen are the little wheels inside the soundhole on some higher end guitars. I still don't even like those but they are better than the barn door or knobs. All my personal preference.

Mine, too, these days. Never owned a Larrivee with a barn door, but I ordered a Pimentel classical over 20 years ago with electronics installed, and it has the barn door on it... ugh ... a $2K plus guitar with a hole in the side of it. I would like to sell it, but I know that barn door is going to kill/badly lower its resale value.