Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Northwood owners?  (Read 1200 times)
RandyB

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »

I am looking online (so I can't hear any comparisons) at a couple of Northwoods,a  R80-MJ Mini Jumbo and maybe M80-000.
I'm looking for opinions on Northwood in general and on body sizes and tone woods for these models.
I'm primarily a finger picker but will also strum and flat pick too. 
I have a Larrivee OM-40R that I am enjoying right now but still looking.

Proud owner of a freakin' awesome Larrivée OM40-R
Looking for another awesome Larrivée to keep it company!
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »

I remember Paramount Guitar having a number of Northwood sound samples, both fingerpicked and flat picked, on their inventory page and sold page as well. A really good resource that is.  Has helped me a lot in the past.
http://paramountguitars.net/guitars_acoustic.htm
Also, be sure to check out an even larger list on their sold guitars page.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »

I own 3 MJ models.  These are some of the lightest guitars you will ever pick up almost regardless of wood choices.  Very soft V on the narrow neck and a more substantial V on the wider necks.  My last one is a florentine cutaway that has a torrefied Adi top and beautiful Madagascar RW back/sides with spider figure a little bit like Braz.  I love these guitars as much as Larrivee's...

George
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:45 AM »

Tremendous tone, well built, and smell great.  Seriously - the interior linings are done in Spanish cedar, so they smell incredible.

They are a step up from Larrivee, but easily the best small shop/boutique value on the planet.  Be sure to check out John at Shoreline.

I like mine so much that I bought a top-level hiscox artist flight case for it recently.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

Tremendous tone, well built, and smell great.  Seriously - the interior linings are done in Spanish cedar, so they smell incredible.

They are a step up from Larrivee, but easily the best small shop/boutique value on the planet.  Be sure to check out John at Shoreline.

I like mine so much that I bought a top-level hiscox artist flight case for it recently.

+1  on the wonderful smell of the Spanish Cedar kerfing used in these guitars!

George
bobsnuscruz

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »

Short answer: I would not hesitate to try a small body Northwood, though not just for the smell.  Action is easy.  Appointments are tastefully simple.  The finishes not too heavy. Workmanship appears flawless.  javascript:void(0);

Longer repose: I recently bought a R80-12-00, rosewood, 12-fret, with a 1-⅞" nut and a shallow arch to the fingerboard profile.  It plays very easily, and is a comfortable size and nut width for me.   I bought on-line, sight unseen, through this forum, without problem, and I am happy with it.  It's a medium weight build, so it seems to take to a confident picking style. I use a strap, so I can not judge it's balance, but it fits me well either sitting or standing and is easy to hold.  I would say the trebles and mid-range are complex and bell like, as you would expect from a good rosewood guitar.  I've read that Engelmann may not be as immediately responsive or as penetrating as a sitka top, and that a 12-fret guitar might not have the large round sound of a 14-fret guitar, but the sound may be sweeter and more complex.  I think this guitar displays that.  I play at home, for myself and on rare occasion for family or friends: I want a sweet sound and a comfortable fit: I don't need loudness.  It's not overly bass-y; so it seems to be working well for fingerpicking in country blues and ragtime.   Drop-D, DADGAD, open-D, and open-G tunings sound very good on this guitar, it really opens up with those tunings. But it's not a jumbo, so I don't expect that overpowering bass presence.  I think that this is more a matter of design and balance than simply body size.  All in all, and given the size/fret/nut combination, an excellent substitute for a vintage ~1900 guitar with much better action and quality and the reliably longer functional life of a new guitar, built to today's high standards, at price I could live with.

Bob

Larrivee Forum III
Santa Cruz OM/PW
Taylor 512-M
Noname Aussie/Hanoi 0-40
Seagull, spruce (early, no model #)
2 classical, 2 flamenco
Martin nylon backpacker
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »

John McQuarrie is an excellent builder, repair person and his guitars are great.  His shop is not far from where I live.  I have yet to actually own one of his guitars but when I do it will be a R80-000 12 fret in western red cedar over large leaf maple, both grown in BC woods.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
RandyB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

Here is an audio clip provided by a seller of the Northwood R80-MJ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0Bbn3_J6RhpMWFUZG1nOV9hM28

He describes it as "loud", "big" filling the room with sound....
This clip sounds like it has incredible boomy bass  (Reminded me of a Martin Dreadnaught)
 I'm not sure it is quite right for finger style.....
thoughts?

Proud owner of a freakin' awesome Larrivée OM40-R
Looking for another awesome Larrivée to keep it company!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »

Here is a link to Northwood's creation of my MJF80 Florentine cutaway with torrefied Adirondack spruce top and Madagascar back/sides...

http://www.northwoodguitars.com/new-and-latest-creations.html

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »

I've had probably a dozen or so Northwoods over the years.   Most have been EIR and Engelmann (one Brazillian)  They have all been pleasing instruments and very well built.  My favorites were a couple Mahogany (one MJ and one OM)  The EIR/Engelmann combination was just a little too "smooth" sounding for me - I like added sparkle of the Mahogany with John's builds.  I would really like to get my hands on one of his dreads in Mahogany from the era when he was doing 1.773 nut width.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: