Drive time.

Started by Caleb, January 08, 2017, 11:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm always on the hunt for little pockets of time to fit in the things I want to do in life.  I find that drive time is a good time for some of this.  I mostly use mine for audio books, podcasts, or checking out new music.  I gave up talk radio many years ago, and I've not listened to FM (well, sometimes the classical station) in almost 20 years now.  How do you use your drive time? 

I don't drive a lot anymore but I listen to an FM station that is mostley blues but it also plays classic rock.I listen mostley to keep my mind from wondering too much.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I like to listen to music on my Ipod, but I find that it is very distracting from paying attention to the main task at hand, which is driving.  Better safe than sorry...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on January 08, 2017, 11:59:32 AM
I like to listen to music on my Ipod, but I find that it is very distracting from paying attention to the main task at hand, which is driving.  Better safe than sorry...

Same here.  I've always had a problem with background music in general...  I haven't  tried audiobooks, but I think the same would apply.  My wife loves them.  Podcasts seem to work, as do things like Cartalk and similar stuff.  Listenable, but not life shattering if I miss a bit when the actual driving requires attention.

Ed

Music,  either on CD,  or XM radio gets me through DC traffic. Audio books not good; either I miss the book paying attention to traffic,  or (worse) the other way around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Music, talk radio (doesn't have to be political ..... computer, cooking, legal help, financial ....all kinds of talk radio, esp.  at night to stay awake) and sometimes ..... GASP..... silence.

Recently retired but when working I had an hour commute each way daily. Only one FM station I would listen to. WMVY from Martha's Vineyard. They have a streaming service and a good app. Worth checking out.
Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop

My drive time varies depending on the day (and where I'm working).  And it's going to be a lot shorter this year, as I finally dropped a client that lives 40 miles away.  Usually listen to music on the radio, often on the Christian radio station, as it seems to keep me more even-tempered.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Walkerman on January 09, 2017, 07:34:58 AM
Music, talk radio (doesn't have to be political ..... computer, cooking, legal help, financial ....all kinds of talk radio, esp.  at night to stay awake) and sometimes ..... GASP..... silence.

Yeah that silence can be terrible, even though it is supposed to be safer.  Silence makes my thoughts wander and sometimes that can be more distracting... LOL!
George

For most of the last three years, I've worked from home...or worked "across the street" from my "office" (I'm a pastor - I just finished a short term interim pastorate where the parsonage was right next to the church [out in the rural Kansas countryside - beautiful!], and since September 1, I'm serving a church in Minnesota that also has a parsonage - right across the street from the church. Very short commute.

When I drive out of town to meetings or to visit people (in hospitals, etc.), I'll sometimes listen to talk radio, or to other "talk" or music on my own CD's (yea, I still have those!). Haven't listened to much music on the radio for years... my tastes are too eclectic.

unclrob...it's probably okay for your mind to *wonder* - don't know if it's dangerous for your mind to wander, though...  :rolleye:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Mostly talk radio.  90% of the time, I have Edmonton AM channel CHED (630 Ched) on all day in the house and when I'm driving.  Topics range from what's in the current news, to politics, to human interest, gardening, etc.  Also lots of sports shows as they are the "official" radio station of the Edmonton Oilers and Edmonton Eskimos. 
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Rev my mind has wondered to so of the most amazing place's and has taken me on many a musical journey sometime's I can't get the melody out sometime's it show's up at some interesting place's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

There are so many good podcasts these days, I can't even keep up with the ones I subscribe to.  A recent drive from CO to MI and back to CO did allow me to catch up on some of them.

I think podcasts have reinvigorated what good radio can be, even though it's not live.  There are some that are just plain good storytelling.  Some that I try not to miss:

Radiolab
99% Invisible
All Songs Considered
Worship Artistry
Freakonomics
Car Talk (in re-runs, but still some of the best podcasts ever)
A Way With Words
Song Exploder
Tuner
Sound Opinions
Sound Matters
How Sound (are you seeing a theme here?)
Relevant
Group Therapy Radio with Above & Beyond (this is an electronic music podcast)
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I listen to several podcasts.  A recent favorite I recommend is called "Music From 100 Years Ago."  Found it on iTunes but I'm sure it's available on whatever podcast platform you might use.  The host is a historian and the bits he puts in between songs are great.  Each episode is usually broken up into themes or years.  Neat stuff and very educational and entertaining.