Examples of quilted mahogany

Started by Krugie_Mtl, January 08, 2017, 09:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all !

As I wrote in a earlier topic, I will certainly go in the next weeks with a OOO-40.

Do you have examples of quilted mahogany back and sides, as I may be able to put some extra money in a custom order.

Larrivée told me that quilted mahogany can go from around 200$ up to the 400$ listed in the custom sheet.

In the custom section of the acoustic guitars, there is an example of a 200$ back, but they do not have pics of the 400$ backs.

Maybe some of you have ! :gotpics:

Best,

:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut

Quilted hog back side AND neck

And a great book matched bear claw top to boot

Larrivee does custom right

Quote from: georbro3 on January 08, 2017, 12:01:30 PM
What a Beauty Steve!   :nice guitar:

Thank you.  Is is actually part of a matched set ...6 and 12 strings .... for one of my sons.  The other son gets a matched set of quilted maple guitars.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 08, 2017, 12:09:05 PM
Thank you.  Is is actually part of a matched set ...6 and 12 strings .... for one of my sons.  The other son gets a matched set of quilted maple guitars.

Even though I asked for mahogany, would love to see the maple twins !  :nice guitar:

Here my OO-05 MQ  :blush:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Fantastic looking guitars, though I'm not a big fan of a "quilted" grain pattern in any wood whether it's on a guitar or furniture, etc.  I absolutely love the look of so-called "flamed" wood grain though.

Something I've often pondered is if there is a trade-off in terms of tone VS esthetics between highly figured back and side wood compared to a relatively straight-grained version of the same wood.  For example, does flamed maple sound different from quilted maple and does either one sound different from unfigured maple?  Or is maple just maple regardless and the figuring doesn't have a significant effect on tone?  Same question for Mahogany, Koa or any other body wood.  Is there a difference in terms of sound?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 09, 2017, 12:19:59 AM
Fantastic looking guitars, though I'm not a big fan of a "quilted" grain pattern in any wood whether it's on a guitar or furniture, etc.  I absolutely love the look of so-called "flamed" wood grain though.

Something I've often pondered is if there is a trade-off in terms of tone VS esthetics between highly figured back and side wood compared to a relatively straight-grained version of the same wood.  For example, does flamed maple sound different from quilted maple and does either one sound different from unfigured maple?  Or is maple just maple regardless and the figuring doesn't have a significant effect on tone?  Same question for Mahogany, Koa or any other body wood.  Is there a difference in terms of sound?

I think this is a good question.  I have both flamed maple and quilted maple back/sides on Larrivee's (2-D & 1-L models).  I love the sound of maple and I personally cannot say I notice any significant difference between the flamed and quilted backs.  The top wood and size/shape of the guitar is what I think makes the most difference.  The only unfigured maple I have is an archtop with rock maple back/sides with a spruce top an is not likely a good comparison to a flat top...
George

Here's my 00-05 custom I got from Wildwood. I think he has another on one his site.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Those are all great examples ! Such beautiful guitars.

I think I will try to find a Larrivée or order a custom one which would have a mid-grade quilt. On the web (with other makers), I saw some quilted back which were too over the top. Like L07, I prefer more subtle figure. Those examples you all provided are all tasty in my opinion.

Thank you very much for your help !

Quote from: Walkerman on January 09, 2017, 08:10:37 PM
Get yourself some of this ...

http://symphontreemusic.com/the-legend-of-the-tree/

Well, there is some over the top quilt that is nice...  :whistling:

That said, just to see some of the luthiers in the list, I do not think I can even approach the money needed !

Kurt I have never found much of a difference in tone whether the maple was plan,flamey or quilted and I've owned and played a lot of maple body guitars.Plus you don't play the back of guitars.Now this is just MO and you may hear a slite  difference but thats any two guitars even one's build from the same tree.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

here is my 2006 om-03 MQ.  i just love the wood on this guitar.
the 3d effect when the guitar is turned around in the light, is amazingly deep.  here is a link to more pics of the guitar.  http://imgur.com/a/SShBM
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Quote from: unclrob on January 09, 2017, 10:40:20 PM
Kurt I have never found much of a difference in tone whether the maple was plan,flamey or quilted and I've owned and played a lot of maple body guitars.Plus you don't play the back of guitars.Now this is just MO and you may hear a slite  difference but thats any two guitars even one's build from the same tree.

Makes perfect sense, Rob.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar