Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Someone Explain Tuner Ratio, Please?  (Read 1283 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2005, 04:13:35 PM »

what the difference between 14:1, 18:1, 12:1 etc.? is there one that's "the best?" is it preference? what does it do? how does it effect tuning stability, if any at all? ive recently started looking into different tuners and am honestly clueless on what all of this means. thx for any help.  
tbc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:50:43 PM »

The ratio refers to the number of revolutions of the tuning knob that it takes to make one revolution of the winding post. Gear ratios always have to do with the number of revolutions in compared to the number of revolutions out whether it's a car, a bicycle or a guitar. Therefore, the higher the ratio the more sensitive or fine the tuning. An 18:1 tuner will be finer, more sensitive, than a 14:1. It's like the radio tuner (before the digital days) of a cheap handheld radio vs. a quality home stereo. You'd have to turn the knob on the home stereo a lot to get it to move just a little but you could easily locate the exact position of the best reception. Cheap radios had very low ratio tuners and you could easily jump completely over the station you're trying to find.

The stability of the pitch would have more to do with the quality of construction rather than the ratio. Although, a worm gear driving a pinion gear, as in the case of a tuning machine, is an inherently stable design as the worm gear which is connected to the knob can drive the pinion gear which is connected to the post but the pinion cannot drive (or move) the worm gear. If a tuning machine were built using two straight cut or spiral cut gears the strings would wind up fine but as soon as you let go of the knob it would unwind because those types of gears can drive or be driven.

Tom
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 05:06:22 PM »

The ratio refers to the number of revolutions of the tuning knob that it takes to make one revolution of the winding post. Gear ratios always have to do with the number of revolutions in compared to the number of revolutions out whether it's a car, a bicycle or a guitar. Therefore, the higher the ratio the more sensitive or fine the tuning. An 18:1 tuner will be finer, more sensitive, than a 14:1. It's like the radio tuner (before the digital days) of a cheap handheld radio vs. a quality home stereo. You'd have to turn the knob on the home stereo a lot to get it to move just a little but you could easily locate the exact position of the best reception. Cheap radios had very low ratio tuners and you could easily jump completely over the station you're trying to find.

The stability of the pitch would have more to do with the quality of construction rather than the ratio. Although, a worm gear driving a pinion gear, as in the case of a tuning machine, is an inherently stable design as the worm gear which is connected to the knob can drive the pinion gear which is connected to the post but the pinion cannot drive (or move) the worm gear. If a tuning machine were built using two straight cut or spiral cut gears the strings would wind up fine but as soon as you let go of the knob it would unwind because those types of gears can drive or be driven.

Tom
that's a good explanation, but i'm afraid i don't really get it. i understand that the higher the number the better, so that's good (and that's the part that i really wanted to know) but all that talk of revolutions and things are over my head.
 :blink:  
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 05:13:36 PM »

The easiest way to think about it (at least in my mind) is to consider what happens when you turn the gear 1/4 turn.  With a 14:1 ratio you will pull the string further then with the 18:1.  That means with the 18:1 it is easier to fine tune.  

Imagine if you were just a tiny bit flat and wanted to bring it up to tune.  With a 18:1 it would be easier to make smaller adjustments to the string.  A 1/10th of a turn might bring it up to pitch with a 18:1 but it might go sharp with a 14:1.

I likely just made this more confusing. <_<
sorry
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 05:14:55 PM »

In a nutshell, with a higher number the change in pitch is more gradual - you can tune more accurately.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 05:15:40 PM »

(insert sound of head exploding here)
 :lol:  
Adam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 05:23:59 PM »

It's like a bike. You can use "granny" gear to go up hills. You move the pedals in lots of circles to get the bike wheel just to turn one revolution. Let's say, you have to pedal 20 times with your feet. This is a 20:1 gear ratio. If you are in a higher gear, however, it may take you 10 turns to get the wheel to move once around. This is a 10:1 ratio.

The artist formerly known as larriboy
Larrivée D-03R
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 05:35:57 PM »

It's like a bike. You can use "granny" gear to go up hills. You move the pedals in lots of circles to get the bike wheel just to turn one revolution. Let's say, you have to pedal 20 times with your feet. This is a 20:1 gear ratio. If you are in a higher gear, however, it may take you 10 turns to get the wheel to move once around. This is a 10:1 ratio.
that makes complete and perfect sense. thank you.  B)  
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »

Basically, with an 18:1 ratio, you have to turn the tuning knob 18 times to get the tuning post to make one rotation.  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
tikabear

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 03:03:06 AM »

What ratio are the standard Larrivee ping tuners?  Maybe I should just go to the website.

More than I deserve.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 04:40:30 AM »

18:1

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying