Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tuners Installed...replaced Pings.  (Read 1777 times)
Fstpicker

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:11:59 AM »

I share this with the idea that this may help some of you who would like to upgrade your Larrivee's guitar tuners.

Last week I ordered some new Grover 18:1 Sta-tites tuners from Stew Mac to replace the original Ping tuners on my Martin D-16RGT. I received them on Saturday and installed them on Saturday evening.

This is how it went:

After removing the original Ping tuners, I "opened up" the original holes on the top of the headstock using an old reamer tool I forgot I still had. I would ream out just a small amount at a time, checking and re-checking the hole until the new grommets were able to fit in tight and snug. I did this for all six holes installing each tuner when each hole was prepared. I made sure the top holes that I drilled were put exactly at the right spot so that all the tuners looked uniform and like the originals.
After bolting everything on, I re-installed the strings. Boy, I really like these new tuners!! So much more precise in the ability to tune in small increments, with much more positive control and no slippage like the original Pings had. I can "fine-tune" my strings a lot better now and get my guitar to tune more accurately. I could be imagining it, but it almost seems like my guitar sounds better. More punch with solid tone.

A couple of cautions:

1) Once you put the grommets on the headstock there is no moving them clockwise or counter-clockwise to line them up symmetrically. They are set in place for good. I couldn't even remove them! Case in point: The first grommet I installed I wanted to move it about 5-10 degrees counter-clockwise, but to no avail. So the next ones I put on I made sure that they were right the first time where I wanted them before I set them in place, and also consistent with all of the other ones, so they look uniform and neat.

2) After you install the grommets before you put the tuners in, make sure that they are completely seated flat against the headstock. In other words, that they are put in all the way with the nut flat against the surface. I didn't do this (I just put them in by hand) and I had to un-install the strings and screws and use my pliers (with a sock to protect the wood and finish from scratching) to install them tight and make sure they were flat against the headstock.

3) Go slowly and carefully when you are reaming out the hole. It only needs a little bit of reaming for the grommet to fit. Check it as you go along a little bit at a time. As the saying goes...measure twice and install only once!  

I really love these tuners (like you couldn't tell! ) and they also look so much nicer on my headstock than the original Pings. The fit and finish are excellent and the mechanical properties are also excellent IMO. Well worth the effort.

By the way, the whole "in-stall" only took around 1.5-2 hours or so. A small task for such a BIG gain!  

To view my photos, go to: http://community.webshots.com/album/279675402wFlgmI

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

P.S. I'd be happy to supply anyone considering doing this with any further help or info that they may need. You can email me at: jeffmayer@cfl.rr.com if you wish.

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:47:13 AM »

Looking good, Fstpicker!

I just bought a set of Gotoh from Elderly and found out that I'd have to do almost exactly the same thing http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/GTM30.htm

I'm hesitant to do it myself though. This really helps me to see what is involved with getting it done.

Thanks for the info!  :)  

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Fstpicker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 07:00:39 AM »

Good for you! Glad my experience could be of some help to you.

I bought mine at Stew Mac. Their prices are really good. They also sell the Gotoh tuners with the offset screw holes like Larrivees, I believe FWIW.

Let me know how it goes for you. ;)

Jeff :D  

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:24:36 PM »

thanks for sharing your tuner experience. great timing too. i'm about to order some new tuners for my Larrivee, as i've not been pleased AT ALL with the ping tuners that came on mine. i believe i'm going to go with the Grover locking tuners, the ones without the thumb screw that lock automatically. these are a great value and stew-macs prices are simply incredible! i was going to go with the Gotoh 510's, but for about half the price, i can get locking tuners from grover.  
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 04:07:27 PM »

The black Gotoh 510's look incredible on the Larrivee headstock.  If I were to upgrade I think I would go for those.  
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
Brad166

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 04:36:21 PM »

Iv got a brand new set of of Grover 18:1 sta-tites open back tuners. Ordered them but never did used them. Id let them go for $20 + shipping if someone wants them.

2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: