Choosing a pre-amp for my Mini Pure Western in my L-03

Started by rockstar_not, January 01, 2017, 01:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I installed a mini pure western in my L-03 perhaps 10 years ago after the on-board Fishman system crapped out.  I've never had my own external pre-amp to go with it, but have used a couple different systems.

1. LR Baggs Para DI.  I didn't have time to properly dial it in for gain and EQ, as it was just something available at church
2. I have a dbx mini pre that I have used as a D.I. for some things, but again haven't had any time for live use with my L-03.  I do think I need something with an EQ, and this doesn't have it.

I'm just wondering what other folks have tried that provides the right impedance matching and some EQ and phase capability.  I know K&K makes their Pure XLR pre-amp/DI, but I also know this is a bunch here that likes to try different stuff.

Other products that I think might be worth a try just based on features; but not sure about the impedance matching thing with K&K pups:
1. Radial Tonebone Pz-Pre:http://www.tonebone.com/pzpre.php
2. Zoom A3 (I am a big fan of Zoom products for feature/price ratio): http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A3
3. Don't laugh: Behringer ADI21 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADI21

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I've always had great results with a K&K Pure Preamp.  

For a while I (autocorrect typo fixed) had a Ultrasound PAMM, but I don't think they are made anymore.

Ed

eded,

Thanks for your reply.  I actually think I might have a solution already at home, I just hadn't thought of looking at it.

My Zoom G5 amp simulator/multi-fx box can be set up so that there is no amp simulation and lo and behold, it has a 1 Megaohm input impedance.  It also has XLR out so it can be used as a DI, plus all the EQ, compression, etc. one could want.

I'm going to give it a try today.  If I am able to play something well enough, I might even do an A/B with it mic'ed vs. direct through the Zoom G5.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 02, 2017, 10:05:55 AM
eded,

Thanks for your reply.  I actually think I might have a solution already at home, I just hadn't thought of looking at it.

My Zoom G5 amp simulator/multi-fx box can be set up so that there is no amp simulation and lo and behold, it has a 1 Megaohm input impedance.  It also has XLR out so it can be used as a DI, plus all the EQ, compression, etc. one could want.

I'm going to give it a try today.  If I am able to play something well enough, I might even do an A/B with it mic'ed vs. direct through the Zoom G5.

-Scott

FWIW, going into many (most?) acoustic guitar amps...  Ultrasound, Fishman, AER, etc., a pre helps (mostly by giving local controls, gain, vol, tone), but the inputs on these amps handle the K&K fine without (in my limited experience).  Going into a mixer or self contained PA box, a pre/di is needed.

Good luck with the test!

Ed

Well, I'm really glad I had today off and a few hours to dedicate to this because my quest for a pre-amp for my Mini Pure Western is over - I have had the solution for the past 3 or 4 years and just didn't know it!

Zoom G5, with all amp simulation turned off, several specific cuts and boosts with the parametric EQ capabilities of the G5, and a little bit of room reverb, and I'm close enough, with all of the thumpy stuff gone and a pretty decent sounding setup.

Here's a recording where I explain the various clips that I simultaneously recorded with my CAD M-177 Large Diaphragm Condenser mic, and the K&K through the G5 unaffected and then with the parametric EQ and slight reverb.

Mic setup was the pretty standard 12th fret location, 6" away from fretboard, mic capsule pointed toward soundhole.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/knkzoomg5eq-set-edit-1-export-1
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I use an older model of the Fishman platinum pro-eq.  It is really clean, with a great compression and eq, phase, and xlr out if needed.  It is my one piece of equipment that I always bring!
www.andersonmusicschool.com
www.markandersonguitar.com

I think I got this sorted out.  The Zoom G5 with my EQ settings is working quite well.  I don't think I would be able to dial in the K+K any better with other DIs.  If you listen to the soundcloud track I posted above you can hear what the EQ work I did in the G5 did for making the K+K sound pretty dang close to the mic'ed signal.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on March 15, 2017, 09:26:13 PM
I think I got this sorted out.  The Zoom G5 with my EQ settings is working quite well.  I don't think I would be able to dial in the K+K any better with other DIs.  If you listen to the soundcloud track I posted above you can hear what the EQ work I did in the G5 did for making the K+K sound pretty dang close to the mic'ed signal.

I'm a real fan of K&K pickups.  They seem (to me) to be easy to install, and pretty easy to interface with lots of external gear.  Glad to hear it's working out for you. :cheers

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 15, 2017, 09:46:17 PM
I'm a real fan of K&K pickups.  They seem (to me) to be easy to install, and pretty easy to interface with lots of external gear.  Glad to hear it's working out for you. :cheers

Ed

Hello (first post!)

I use the K&K on my OM-03 with a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI for 5 years (over 100 gigs). IMHO, it's an excellent solution for fingerpicking.

The Aura has very good features:

3-band EQ : Very useful. The K&K produce very strong basses, so the EQ allows to reduce it.
Compressor : Useful for strumming or percussive playing. Not necessary for fingerpicking.
3 notches for automatic feedback suppression : Very Useful
Chromatic tuner : Not the most accurate tuner... maybe the weak point
Effects loop : Very Useful
Balanced XLR D.I: Very Useful
Aura Image Gallery: Nice, but I set the blend at 20-25% (probably more effective with a piezo)

Finally, the Aura is robust and easy to use.

Fred

The Zoom G5 has turned out to be a great solution. I performed the same keep NX of back to back mic to pickup comparison on my Taylor and now have a great preset for it as well. I'm actually using the Taylor more because I am usually the 2nd acoustic player and I will capo high and use the cutaway.

But just a general note for those of you with K+K in your acoustics, and electric guitar amp/multi faceted units, you very likely have a very tweakable EQ solution and impedance matching solution already.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud