Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor man's (that's me!) Carvin AG300  (Read 733 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:58:35 PM »

A few months back I picked up one of those little Acoustic AG30 8 inch two way amps and was quite surprised by the richness and tonal capabilities of it.   Of course I wasn't getting the low end I'd been used to with having full PA systems for the last 35 years.

A few days ago an Acoustic B20 (12" driver) bass amp popped up on the local Craigslist for 70.00 and I started wondering what it would be like if I ran that off the other channel on my mixer and used it like a powered subwoofer.

I just got back from picking it up - tweaked both amps a bit, rolling off the low end on the AG30 and attenuating the high end on the B20.    With very little effort I was able to get an incredible tone - I run pure mini's on my guitars with a Blue Encore 300 (and Encore 100 on the vocals)

I'm sitting here shaking my head at how great this little rig sounds!!!

Who needs to spend 600 on the Carvin???

AG30 - 75.00
B20 - 70.00
Alto ZMX862 mixer - 40.00.

Hmmm......:

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:46:33 AM »

Hi Todd, that's what I call poor boy ingenuity. I have an idea to accomplish the same thing. Could you tell me if my idea will work. Some time ago I built an extension speaker/cab for my shenandoah. It has a 12", 6" and tweeter. I'd like to get a little low end boom without adding an entire bass amp. If I replaced the 12" with another that's designed for bass response, would I get a little extra bass from the cab? Would that require a new crossover to boost the bass signal? Thanks, this is new territory for me

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »

Hi Todd, that's what I call poor boy ingenuity. I have an idea to accomplish the same thing. Could you tell me if my idea will work. Some time ago I built an extension speaker/cab for my shenandoah. It has a 12", 6" and tweeter. I'd like to get a little low end boom without adding an entire bass amp. If I replaced the 12" with another that's designed for bass response, would I get a little extra bass from the cab? Would that require a new crossover to boost the bass signal? Thanks, this is new territory for me

My thought is that you would probably do better with some equalization.....first try dialing back on the mids and turning up the bass a bit on the amp.  If that doesn't work maybe consider an outboard/in line equalizer between the Shenandoah and the new cabinet.   That way you could get both cabinets sounding their best.   A 12" driver of decent quality should more than handle the frequencies of acoustic guitar and voice.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:11:01 AM »

Thanks Todd

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing