Why aren't there more female forum participants?

Started by L07 Shooting Star, December 23, 2016, 03:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote. . . I feel like I have a lot of tools, and basically know how to use each one but I am trying to build a house without any plans. I really should be starting with a birdhouse or two.

It's good to know where you stand.  Many times in music (or life) it's best to look back before going forward

Birdhouse #1:  One of the more common chord progressions from the late 50's and into the 60's is the C, Am, F, G7 (I, vi, IV, V).  You'd likely know that this is the key of C with a 'relative minor' chord.   This guy is really bad. . .but you can do better.  That said, I admire him for putting it out there for an imperfect repertoire example of what can be done with four chords allowing you to choose your model of birdhouse.  Add to this repertoire several of Peter, Paul & Mary/Pete Seeger songs:  Where Have all the Flowers Gone, If I Had a Hammer etc.

Birdhouse #2: As mentioned earlier in this thread, G, Em, C, D is another I, vi, IV,V progression that continues to be enjoyed extensively.  Any song in the key of C will work in the key of G if your vocal range will accommodate them.

On a personal note, the birdhouse design has to appeal to you:  it has to mean something.  There needs to be a hunger beyond music theory,  technique, tab and guitar forums.  This is the first album I ever listened to. . .and it grabbed me like a grizzly bear.  I was ten years old.  

Digging a little into the origin of the songs I play has helped me over the years.  'Where Have All The Flowers Gone' for example, has its origins in Russia at a very horrible time in their history.  'If I Had A Hammer' or 'The Hammer Song' has its origins at a time when people had to fight for the most basic of civil rights in the United States.  Unknowingly, just knowing the history of the song helped make its performance more believable.

Maybe use these folks to help build your first birdhouse?  Their progressions don't stray very far from the keys of C and G (and associated minor chords).
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

There's a songbook called Rise Up Singing (google it...).  It runs about $18 or so on Amazon.  It's got 1200 songs in it, with a bunch that I'd bet you already know the melody to.  They give the chord charts (most have 3-5 chords).  You can start out with the ones that are easy, and then find others you want to learn.

Ed

Quote from: eded on February 01, 2017, 03:41:47 PM
There's a songbook called Rise Up Singing (google it...).  It runs about $18 or so on Amazon.  It's got 1200 songs in it, with a bunch that I'd bet you already know the melody to.  They give the chord charts (most have 3-5 chords).  You can start out with the ones that are easy, and then find others you want to learn.

Ed

Ed, you just reminded me I have that book somewhere.  You made me want to go and dig it out from wherever it is in the house.  It's a good one and that is a great recommendation.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I just had a chance to catch up and wow. Lots of great tips and advice! Whiskeyjack, you are speaking my language. I have no motivation to learn songs I don't care about. I am a big folk fan too. I will also check out the library Ed to see if they have the book.
I wish I knew how to make hyperlinks with my phone but I can't figure it out. Anyway...this is the song that made me want to learn guitar. I can play it now with my eyes closed and practise it constantly. Andy Maize and John Finlayson of The Skydiggers...well to me it doesn't get much better. I think I've seen them live more than 50 times.
https://youtu.be/DHYY2i6SKjs

Hi Codycoat.  Are you Canadian by any chance?  Just viewed your link.  Nice song.  I'm a sucker for a good sounding organ.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Saw the Skydiggers at Crocks&Rolls in Thunder Bay several times. They've gotten a lot older! :cheers  

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on February 05, 2017, 03:41:17 AM
Hi Codycoat.  Are you Canadian by any chance?  Just viewed your link.  Nice song.  I'm a sucker for a good sounding organ.

:+1:
George

I sure am!! And I loooove Canadian music.
That is Michael Johnston on the organ. He is a relatively recent addition to the band but I can't imagine them without piano/organ now.

Quote from: unclrob on December 23, 2016, 02:29:29 PM
All of my female clients but one play Taylors.The one plays an OM10.Also many Martin players.

Have you noticed which models they tend to choose?

Maybe Larrivée needs to market their LS's, OM's and OO's more . . .

Quote from: skyline on February 08, 2017, 11:12:29 PMHave you noticed which models they tend to choose?

Maybe Larrivée needs to market their LS's, OM's and OO's more . . .
I didn't know Larrivee marketed their guitars, I thought we did. 😁 🎶

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 13, 2017, 10:48:31 AM

Its only funny cause its kind of true  :ohmy:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 13, 2017, 10:48:31 AM

I would never have heard of Larrivee if I hadn't been an AGF member. so you're right, we forum folks do a good job with the word-of-mouth thing.

Quote from: ryler on February 19, 2017, 06:45:32 PM
I would never have heard of Larrivee if I hadn't been an AGF member. so you're right, we forum folks do a good job with the word-of-mouth thing.

It was rmmga folks for me.

Ed

I heard about them in 2000, while hunting for my first Martin guitar, from a luthier friend of mine in Houston who said they were likely the finest guitar on the market.  So I checked them out and they of course were fabulous sounding, but GC only had very expensive ones in stock so I wound up going with the Martin anyway...  completely different story 10 years later... (oh, and sold the Martin then too)...
George