Why aren't there more female forum participants?

Started by L07 Shooting Star, December 23, 2016, 03:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seriously, would any of us want our daughters hanging out with the posters here?

:humour:

Paraclete late to the show.... I'm here, although I don't have a lot to say much of the time.  And yes, last time I checked, I'm a female.   :tongue: 

But I did just post a tasty pic to the pic section tonight from church.  My worship team is LarrivĂ©e dominated, to say the least.  And now that work has finally slacked off, with the PNW getting fairly serious winter this year, I might just make a nuisance of myself.   :roll
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I agree that males tend to be gear-heads more than women.  There is always the exception but this tends to hold as the average rule.  My wife plays violin and couldn't even tell you what brand it is.  She just likes to play and would tell you "it's pretty."  She has a mandolin and might not even know what kind it is either (it's a Breedlove).  And she doesn't care anything in the world about getting new gear or even trying out other gear in a shop.  She just likes the stuff she has and enjoys it.  I'm more like this than most musical men I know.  I have my Larrivee and it's my only guitar.  But I still like to take guitars down off the wall and give them a whirl sometimes. 

Quote from: Walkerman on December 24, 2016, 12:08:06 PM
Seriously, would any of us want our daughters hanging out with the posters here?

:humour:

Just not you Steve.... LOL!   :humour:    (you know I am just kidding Steve, much respect)
George

I've always enjoyed ryler's posts, and her way of encouraging others. Through the years I've been PM'd by female members and always felt that they had as much to offer as any of us.
    But also I know they have felt intimidated at times. Stuff most of us guys just let roll away, or confront. But I think a female would rather just fade away from a forum before engaging in a conflict.

We who post a lot, and have been around awhile need to recognize that we can be offensive without realizing so.
To those that know our mannerisms it's all taken with a grain of salt. To a more sensitive soul, they may take it personal and just go away.

I'm pointing my finger at the man in the mirror. Hoping to be more considerate of others in general in 2017.

Quote from: Danny on December 26, 2016, 06:03:03 PM
We who post a lot, and have been around awhile so need to recognize that we can be offensive without realizing so.
To those that know our mannerisms it's all taken with a grain of salt. To a more sensitive soul, they may take it personal and just go away.

Say it isn't so!  :ohmy:

Just a guess on my part,
but it's probably because they have
actual stuff (better stuff) to do...
:winkin:

um, and,
I'm not sure that reflects well on us (me)
:?

Quote from: tlp2 on December 27, 2016, 11:59:37 AM
Just a guess on my part,
:winkin:

um, and,
I'm not sure that reflects well on us (me)
:?

Bingo! Yep
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: tlp2 on December 27, 2016, 11:59:37 AMJust a guess on my part,

Yeah, like the dishes.

Humor
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: tlp2 on December 27, 2016, 11:59:37 AM
Just a guess on my part,

Yes, like fixing stuff around the house, since no one else seems to know how (or care)
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 23, 2016, 10:29:22 AM
 I know of one member who previously had been very active,  even went  to the Forum III unveiling in Vancouver several years ago.., and she (Lyric Girl) just lost interest in guitars when other issues took over her life.

Hmm, Wonder if she still has that Rickenbacher! I might relieve her of that.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Seems like the ratio of male to female on every forum I've ever visited or registered had a lot fewer female participants.  Notable exceptions to male-dominated forums were diet, healthfood, sewing, cooking, child care and care-giver forums.  It's to be expected that some topics, professions and hobbies are predictably female-dominated just as others are male-dominated.  I'd guess if there were keyboard, flute, oboe or clarinet forums, participation might be dominated by females.  

That said, I'd most certainly be labeled a sexist for expressing these things in today's hyper-sensitive environment. Truth is though, posting to forums, YouTube or Blogs is just not high on their list of stuff to do as a demographic group for whatever reasons.  The guitar itself has always been a male-dominated pursuit.  (What do you usually hear when you see a guitar player in a three-piece suite?  "Will the defendant please rise?")  And, what females did play acoustic guitar have grown older and likely grown out of it on purpose or of necessity - just like males do.  Further, if a young girl does pick up a guitar these days it'll likely be an electric or a Taylor, (with the electric neck profile):  they're less concerned about the guitar's voice than its appearance and playability.  Geeze, that sounds like me back in my Taylor days!  :arrow :wacko:  Lots of females on the old TGF and YouTube but still much fewer than males.

It's obvious that the women who used to frequent this board are missed. (I don't remember most of 'em).  Thing is, those without spousal participation would have had no follow-up here and it's likely they wouldn't have directed an executor(s) to post their demise on forums they used to frequent.  I've been inactive here for over five years and no one knew the difference.  
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Quote from: whiskeyjack on January 09, 2017, 04:25:32 AM
I've been inactive here for over five years and no one knew the difference.  
Not necessarily true. We do notice. Members like Jeremy and yourself as well as a number of others. We only hope its not health issues or worse  :ohmy:

Regardless  :welcome: back!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Danny on December 26, 2016, 06:03:03 PM
I've always enjoyed ryler's posts, and her way of encouraging others. Through the years I've been PM'd by female members and always felt that they had as much to offer as any of us.
    But also I know they have felt intimidated at times. Stuff most of us guys just let roll away, or confront. But I think a female would rather just fade away from a forum before engaging in a conflict.

We who post a lot, and have been around awhile need to recognize that we can be offensive without realizing so.

I'm pointing my finger at the man in the mirror. Hoping to be more considerate of others in general in 2017.

Great post Danny.  :smile:
Steve ....aka the SMan

I am here, I check in from time to time. As someone new to playing guitar I post infrequently because I don't want to ask a million questions and annoy anyone. And as a newbie I also don't have a lot of experience to share. In fact I have been playing about a year and a half but couldn't sing and play at the same time until this weekend! I like to learn as much as I can so I read many informative forum posts, I just don't reply.

Cody - It's called 'lurking'.  It sounds sinister but it's a good way to educate yourself like you're doing.  'Thing to remember though. . . everybody on this board has been where you are right now.  So, questions from you would be met with congeniality and empathy.  Just post the question in the right forum for the best responses.  And, don't be shy in posting to ongoing discussions.  Very few of us are professional players here but there's a huge field of experience to draw from.  That and it's great to have women on these boards.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Quote from: Codycoat on January 20, 2017, 08:41:31 AM
In fact I have been playing about a year and a half but couldn't sing and play at the same time until this weekend!
I've been playing guitar for 25 years (which doesn't always mean someone is a great player) and I remember well how hard it was to learn to play and sing at the same time.  In fact, after all these years, I'll still encounter a rhythm pattern from time to time that will be hard to play and sing at the same time.  I guess it looks easy because so many people can do it, but it takes a while to get down.