Larrivee 50th Anniversary

Started by Bronzestar, December 13, 2016, 02:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks all!  This guitar is amazing. It's amazing to look at. I can get lost staring at the inlay work, the rosewood grain, and even the mahogany neck grain. But, more importantly, it has a stunning tone. The difference between it and my L-03 is very noticeable. The volume and projection is just out of this world. The bass on the LV-10 is much more pronounced which leads to an overall  warmer tone including the trebles, yet the trebles still ring like a bell. It has an almost, "piano tone" quality. Rich and full, yet balanced overtones. It's pretty damn sublime to play this guitar.

As far as playability is concerned, it is very good from the factory but I prefer a slightly lower action from the nut to bridge. Currently it is, what I feel is, just a tad harder to play than it should be.

I hope Bill has time tomorrow to make some initial adjustments for me. I will be taking the L-03 with me for measurements as the action on that guitar is perfect for me.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

One week report.

I played it all weekend until my left hand felt like it was going to fall off. The action height was wearing on my old fingers, left hands and wrist. In she went to Hatfield on Tuesday. I dropped her off around 1:30 pm. Bill called me at 4:00 to pick it up. Bill did an absolute first rate setup on it. The action is just a "micro-tad" higher than the L-03 which is setup "just this side of buzz". I have not detected any detrimental effect on the tone after the setup. It is still the loudest, most projecting. and tonally rich, acoustic guitar I have ever heard. My playing buddy keeps telling me  to play softer. lol He is playing a Seagull Dread (S6?). He was always telling me to play softer with the L-03. Apparently, it's "worse" with the 50th.  :guitar

The setup made this incredible guitar, feel like an old friend. I have been playing it 3-4 hours every day. Bill kept the factory strings on it but I am wearing them out pretty fast. I will probably change the strings over this weekend. I might try some lights (11s) on it, just to see where it takes it tonally.

It calls to me constantly. Kind of makes it hard to get anything else done around here.  :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: broKen on May 05, 2017, 12:14:36 PM
Just a thought, is that an exterior wall they are hanging on?

Yes it is. Guitars that are playable are only ever up there for a few days. The 50th stays in the case when not being played.  I only put it up there for the photos. I have radiant floor heat in the winter months with two 3,400sqft rated humidifiers running 24/7. In the summer the RH stays right at 50% +/- 3% with our central air conditioning.  I never let any playable guitar hang on that wall for more than a day or two. I actually have two "decoration guitars" that I hang there most of the time as this is my main music room and I want to keep my Larrivee family as safe as possible. They stay in their cases when not being played. :thumbsup

It's been 1 month since I took delivery of #2. I changed the strings two weeks ago, and am getting ready to do it again. 4 hours average play time per day. I already have over 100 hours on it, easy.

It just keeps getting better...
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on June 03, 2017, 12:25:57 AM
Yes it is. Guitars that are playable are only ever up there for a few days. The 50th stays in the case when not being played.  I only put it up there for the photos. I have radiant floor heat in the winter months with two 3,400sqft rated humidifiers running 24/7. In the summer the RH stays right at 50% +/- 3% with our central air conditioning.  I never let any playable guitar hang on that wall for more than a day or two. I actually have two "decoration guitars" that I hang there most of the time as this is my main music room and I want to keep my Larrivee family as safe as possible. They stay in their cases when not being played. :thumbsup

It's been 1 month since I took delivery of #2. I changed the strings two weeks ago, and am getting ready to do it again. 4 hours average play time per day. I already have over 100 hours on it, easy.

It just keeps getting better...
Glad you're playing it!  :thumbsup
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I almost ruined a guitar hanging it on an exterior wall, FYI.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Creating a new thread...
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Yeah, Larrivee posted that interview on their Facebook page. I did appreciate the 2nd player's demo of the guitar... I do wish they'd use a better mic set up - I don't feel like they captured the depth of the guitar's tone. But it's not bad.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

#2 gets a new display cabinet.

That's an in-progress shot taken yesterday. Solid cherry. Using Tung Oil for the finish. Humidification will be through the use of the Boveda/Daddario Two way packets. It will be lined with a custom cut, high density, closed cell foam covered in black silk. LED illumination with dimmer of course. Looking forward to hanging this one. Inside wall of course.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Wow Mark.  You have created a monument!  Be certain to bow and worship her every time you pass...  LOL!
George

It's just too damn beautiful to be hidden away in the case for 20+ hours a day.  :winkin:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on April 23, 2018, 09:47:31 AM
It's just too damn beautiful to be hidden away in the case for 20+ hours a day.  :winkin:

:thumb   I would like to have a large display cabinet that I could put my very finest guitars on display in, but they are soooo pricey.
George

This one is being handcrafted for me. No charge. I just need to provide the hardware like hinges, latches and the glass. The sold cherry stock is very old. Been in my friend's shop inventory for many years. Was about 1.25" thick. Planed down to 3/4". I'll elaborate on the back story if you want. I can either do it in this thread or start a new one. It's a sad story that lead up to the creation of this beautiful cabinet.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

First coat of Tung oil was applied Friday morning. This is how it looked this morning. Second coat going on tomorrow. We are thinking 3 coats minimum possibly 5 or more. When the wood selection was made, we were planing on covering the interior with fabric covered high density foam. When I told Richard I wanted to finish the interior, he told me, that he wished I would have said that at the beginning as  he would have selected different boards for it. The couple of knots and one edge of one board, that he called something but I can't remember, bothered him a little. I think it's the one edge of a board at the top that is lighter in shade, where two boards are joined. I think these "defects" just look cool. They add character and all that.  Lots of interesting grain patterns and "figure" that makes me want to just leave it finished wood and not bother with the padding and fabric.

Those are shadows from the shop lights at the top and bottom, not a darkening of the finish. It was laying down and I held the phone above and shot this photo blind

I only posted these here as this cabinet is for the 50th Anniversary guitar. Not to say that the OO will not be a resident of the case on occasion, but...   :whistling:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

:donut :donut2 :coffee
If it were me (and it isn't) I would not cover the insides at all.
I would just add whatever humidity controlling doodads you are going to add and leave it as is.
It is a gorgeous cabinet. I am really enjoying the way it looks. Great job getting it done, Mark.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on April 29, 2018, 08:30:17 PM
:donut :donut2 :coffee
If it were me (and it isn't) I would not cover the insides at all.
I would just add whatever humidity controlling doodads you are going to add and leave it as is.

:+1: you might consider a rubber bumper plate or two. Nice project!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Today marks the 1st Anniversary of taking delivery of the LV-10 50th Anniversary Guitar, #2 of 50.

I decided I needed to take much better photos of this guitar so I started down that path. I visited a client who has a professional photo booth with some seriously nice lighting.

Here is the first processed image. I am looking for constructive criticism. Am I heading down the right path in your opinion? What do you like and don't like about this image? I had to turn the background black due to the fact the background was pink and I didn't like any variation of it including turning it pure white. I want to actually use black backdrops next photo session.

You should be able to zoom in for some serious detail at this link: https://postimg.cc/image/g8tna6wlb/

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

The first photo I have taken that really shows the grain pattern of the Back and Sides.

I need to go back and do some more shooting.  I hand held all of these. I think I can get even sharper using a tripod and remote shutter.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

This is too much fun. I definitely need another session under these lights.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Mark did you intend to get all that reddish hue in the photos?
George