Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee 50th Anniversary  (Read 13730 times)
markj

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2017, 06:23:49 AM »

Thanks all!  This guitar is amazing. It's amazing to look at. I can get lost staring at the inlay work, the rosewood grain, and even the mahogany neck grain. But, more importantly, it has a stunning tone. The difference between it and my L-03 is very noticeable. The volume and projection is just out of this world. The bass on the LV-10 is much more pronounced which leads to an overall  warmer tone including the trebles, yet the trebles still ring like a bell. It has an almost, "piano tone" quality. Rich and full, yet balanced overtones. It's pretty damn sublime to play this guitar.

As far as playability is concerned, it is very good from the factory but I prefer a slightly lower action from the nut to bridge. Currently it is, what I feel is, just a tad harder to play than it should be.

I hope Bill has time tomorrow to make some initial adjustments for me. I will be taking the L-03 with me for measurements as the action on that guitar is perfect for me.
markj

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2017, 06:25:44 AM »

One week report.

I played it all weekend until my left hand felt like it was going to fall off. The action height was wearing on my old fingers, left hands and wrist. In she went to Hatfield on Tuesday. I dropped her off around 1:30 pm. Bill called me at 4:00 to pick it up. Bill did an absolute first rate setup on it. The action is just a "micro-tad" higher than the L-03 which is setup "just this side of buzz". I have not detected any detrimental effect on the tone after the setup. It is still the loudest, most projecting. and tonally rich, acoustic guitar I have ever heard. My playing buddy keeps telling me  to play softer. lol He is playing a Seagull Dread (S6?). He was always telling me to play softer with the L-03. Apparently, it's "worse" with the 50th.  

The setup made this incredible guitar, feel like an old friend. I have been playing it 3-4 hours every day. Bill kept the factory strings on it but I am wearing them out pretty fast. I will probably change the strings over this weekend. I might try some lights (11s) on it, just to see where it takes it tonally.

It calls to me constantly. Kind of makes it hard to get anything else done around here.  
markj

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2017, 05:25:57 AM »

Just a thought, is that an exterior wall they are hanging on?

Yes it is. Guitars that are playable are only ever up there for a few days. The 50th stays in the case when not being played.  I only put it up there for the photos. I have radiant floor heat in the winter months with two 3,400sqft rated humidifiers running 24/7. In the summer the RH stays right at 50% +/- 3% with our central air conditioning.  I never let any playable guitar hang on that wall for more than a day or two. I actually have two "decoration guitars" that I hang there most of the time as this is my main music room and I want to keep my Larrivee family as safe as possible. They stay in their cases when not being played.

It's been 1 month since I took delivery of #2. I changed the strings two weeks ago, and am getting ready to do it again. 4 hours average play time per day. I already have over 100 hours on it, easy.

It just keeps getting better...
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »

Yes it is. Guitars that are playable are only ever up there for a few days. The 50th stays in the case when not being played.  I only put it up there for the photos. I have radiant floor heat in the winter months with two 3,400sqft rated humidifiers running 24/7. In the summer the RH stays right at 50% +/- 3% with our central air conditioning.  I never let any playable guitar hang on that wall for more than a day or two. I actually have two "decoration guitars" that I hang there most of the time as this is my main music room and I want to keep my Larrivee family as safe as possible. They stay in their cases when not being played.

It's been 1 month since I took delivery of #2. I changed the strings two weeks ago, and am getting ready to do it again. 4 hours average play time per day. I already have over 100 hours on it, easy.

It just keeps getting better...
Glad you're playing it! 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »

I almost ruined a guitar hanging it on an exterior wall, FYI.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
markj

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2017, 11:03:08 PM »

Creating a new thread...
markj

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »

The LV-10 50th Anniversary is reviewed on Peghead Nation. It's a very good review and presentation of the guitar.

https://pegheadnation.com/index.php?cID=3414&bID=4523&arHandle=Blog+Post+More&ccm_token=1497466895:2293114c2c6d1a1a70f923e4c65091ed&btask=passthru&method=form_save_entry#guestBookForm-4523
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2017, 03:52:49 PM »

Yeah, Larrivee posted that interview on their Facebook page. I did appreciate the 2nd player's demo of the guitar... I do wish they'd use a better mic set up - I don't feel like they captured the depth of the guitar's tone. But it's not bad.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: