Larrivee 50th Anniversary

Started by Bronzestar, December 13, 2016, 02:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dlsteel on April 12, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
there is no prototype, there was never a prototype for the 50th. its an LV-10. JCL has made a few. no proper guitar maker would sell a prototype. prototypes are crap. they are full of flaws, thats why we woodshed. if Jean ever did do a prototype for this guitar it was 40 years ago

Pure bs on your part.  Two prototypes were made.  Those were the guitars that went to NAMM, and displayed there.  They were fondled and played, ogled and fawned over.  They were so good, Larrivee booked 35 orders for the limited edition guitars.  I would argue that the prototypes were the best ones made, because orders were based upon them.  They had to be the epitome of Jean and Wendy's craft.

Why would the "production" of the 50 be anything less than the epitome of Jean and Wendy's craft?

Just curious as I am going to be the caretaker of #2.   :winkin:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: dlsteel on April 12, 2017, 08:16:35 PM
there is no prototype, there was never a prototype for the 50th. its an LV-10. JCL has made a few. no proper guitar maker would sell a prototype. prototypes are crap. they are full of flaws, thats why we woodshed. if Jean ever did do a prototype for this guitar it was 40 years ago

I think the reference was not really about the two extra builds of the 50th being "prototypes" per se, just merely two practice runs of the production guitar with serial numbers outside the range of 1-50.
George

Quote from: George on April 13, 2017, 06:22:33 AM
I think the reference was not really about the two extra builds of the 50th being "prototypes" per se, just merely two practice runs of the production guitar with serial numbers outside the range of 1-50.

I was responding to the post which said they were crap and full of flaws.  My point was these had to be flawless, since orders at NAMM would be based upon them.

Maybe we should use the term "actual samples" instead of prototype, which suggests an altogether new design...  Just sayin'
George

Quote from: George on April 13, 2017, 04:48:22 PM
Maybe we should use the term "actual samples" instead of prototype, which suggests an altogether new design...  Just sayin'

They were an altogether new design.  None of the inlays had ever been used before.  So, to me that says prototype.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 12, 2017, 08:41:56 PM
Pure bs on your part.  Two prototypes were made.  Those were the guitars that went to NAMM, and displayed there.  They were fondled and played, ogled and fawned over.  They were so good, Larrivee booked 35 orders for the limited edition guitars.  I would argue that the prototypes were the best ones made, because orders were based upon them.  They had to be the epitome of Jean and Wendy's craft.
well.....gezz, what wood i know

Quote from: Walkerman on April 13, 2017, 10:47:46 AM
I was responding to the post which said they were crap and full of flaws.  My point was these had to be flawless, since orders at NAMM would be based upon them.
i was sayn that prototypes in general have flaws. you are correct, these 2 are perfect. but what wood i know

Quote from: Walkerman on April 13, 2017, 05:04:03 PM
They were an altogether new design.  None of the inlays had ever been used before.  So, to me that says prototype.
for me hey

Quote from: dlsteel on April 15, 2017, 01:14:16 PM
well.....gezz, what wood i know

Quote from: dlsteel on April 15, 2017, 01:16:03 PM
i was sayn that prototypes in general have flaws. you are correct, these 2 are perfect. but what wood i know

Quote from: dlsteel on April 15, 2017, 02:09:11 PM

...so to me the guitar is not a proto. to me the inlay is just another inlay. for this i think this guitar is not a prototype. but what wood i know

would

would

would

But as you said, "Gezz (sic) what wood I know..."

:rolleye:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 15, 2017, 02:21:38 PM
would

would

would

But as you said, "Gezz (sic) what wood I know..."

:rolleye:
just a.....i work with wood a lot.

Sure, it's not a true "prototype". But, who cares?  If Larrivee wants to refer to it that way, it's whatever. Nothing any of us should care about unless someone is trying to sell us the "prototype".
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: dlsteel on April 15, 2017, 02:09:11 PM
for me that's not enough to be called a prototype. maybe for other builders but not for JCL. the Larrivee shop produces inlay of all manor all the time. look at the A.Y. Jackson build. that inlay is nuts (and nobody will ever see it) but for JCL its just another inlay. another massive inlay that took 3 months to finish. the 50th is a presentation LV-10 with a new design headstock & neck inlay. wendy drew it up, matt programed it, the crew inlayed it then back to wendy to do the final magic. so to me the guitar is not a proto. to me the inlay is just another inlay. for this i think this guitar is not a prototype. but what wood i know

Well, all I can say is that Jean calls it the prototype.  That's good enough for me.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 15, 2017, 05:32:18 PM
Well, all I can say is that Jean calls it the prototype.  That's good enough for me.
yep

Quote from: dlsteel on April 16, 2017, 04:00:13 PM
yep, but you are the only one he said that to.

Very doubtful.   I am confident that is how he referred to them at NAMM.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Beautiful! It's a good thing it has a couple spec's I'm not crazy about, so I'm not tempted.

Can't wait to see yours, though!  :drool:

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

It shipped!  :nanadance

Scheduled to arrive at the dealer Thursday, May 4th.  :nana_guitar :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut :donut2 :coffee
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI