Larrivee Bakersfield/Baker T vs New Fender American Elite Tel 4th Gen?

Started by mad3nch1na, December 09, 2016, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking to buy my first tele and I'm torn between these two. I know that the Fender has newer noiseless pickups and a neck that allows easier access to higher frets.

Can some of you chime in on your thoughts between these guitars? Would you prefer a Larrivee or the American Elite?

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/american-elite-telecaster/0114212700.html

https://reverb.com/item/3543800-larrivee-bakersfield

Quote from: mad3nch1na on December 09, 2016, 07:45:30 PM
I am looking to buy my first tele and I'm torn between these two. I know that the Fender has newer noiseless pickups and a neck that allows easier access to higher frets.
Can some of you chime in on your thoughts between these guitars? Would you prefer a Larrivee or the American Elite?
:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
If I were you I would buy the Fender.
Probably one of us or someone we know will buy the Larrivee.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I've been playing tele's and tele type's and partscaster's since the 70's.I've had the pleasure of playing some Bakersfield and find them to be truelly fine instruments.Myself I prefer older Fenders over the new one's as they IMHO have a better tone and feel,but I'm an old guy.Right now the only electrics I own are 2 partscaster my number one was built in 75 and has 3 EMG pu's {all tele's} and a Bigsby my #2 is a frankisteen with a Bakersfield in the bridge and a Golden Era Humbucker in the neck with a wrap-a-round bridge.If I were to by a tele type I would buy a Larrivee.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on December 09, 2016, 09:09:56 PM
I've been playing tele's and tele type's and partscaster's since the 70's.I've had the pleasure of playing some Bakersfield and find them to be truelly fine instruments.Myself I prefer older Fenders over the new one's as they IMHO have a better tone and feel,but I'm an old guy.
:donut2 :coffee :donut2 :coffee
All my telecasters are gone, except for an early 90s American made with lace sensor pickups which I like a LOT.
I think most older guys prefer older Fenders. My remaining US made strat is early 80s with an odd configuration where the cable plugs straight into the pick guard, but it gives me all the tones I need, and the neck plays good too.
But I mostly play acoustic these days.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on December 09, 2016, 08:31:25 PM
:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
If I were you I would buy the Fender.
Probably one of us or someone we know will buy the Larrivee.
Mike

Hey, I own a Larrivee acoustic too ;) That's why I'm interested in the Bakersfield in the first place!

Quote from: mad3nch1na on December 11, 2016, 11:54:50 PM
Hey, I own a Larrivee acoustic too ;) That's why I'm interested in the Bakersfield in the first place!

Looks like it's too late for the Bakersfield as the sale has ended.  Or did you buy it?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Nope, I've been emailing the seller and apparent he has 9 brand new Larrivee Bakersfields all in different colors and pickup configs.

Apparently he just uploaded a listing for a red one...

He sold allready a few nice ones, I' ve contacted him for a lefty but not in stock. He's a Larrivée employé. He told me he builds his lapsteels with the wood and machines from Larrivée.
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on December 12, 2016, 04:07:57 PM
He sold allready a few nice ones, I' ve contacted him for a lefty but not in stock. He's a Larrivée employé. He told me he builds his lapsteels with the wood and machines from Larrivée.

There's a lefty Bakersfield at Jerry's Lefty Guitars in Florida. Don't know price, but looks like it's new (new old stock?). Might not be the color you want (Sonic Blue, I think...). Just a heads up.

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thank you mickeymac,
I've been thinking about that guitar for a week now. It's a nice one, used but in mind condition.
Hard choices. The bakersfield or the 50 anniversary. You can't always get what you want. Thanks a lot to let me know about the bakersfield for sale

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on December 14, 2016, 02:53:45 AM
Thank you mickeymac,
I've been thinking about that guitar for a week now. It's a nice one, used but in mind condition.
Hard choices. The bakersfield or the 50 anniversary. You can't always get what you want. Thanks a lot to let me know about the bakersfield for sale

How much does he want for that one? (I'm slightly tempted if you don't buy it...)

I believe a really nice deal, no dings no scratches, an early one, april 2012. Your first was january 2012 I believe. Price 1199$. I really believe you still could convince me to buy it from you after i ordered a 50 anni if you may not like it :laughin:

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on December 15, 2016, 01:39:45 AM
I believe a really nice deal, no dings no scratches, an early one, april 2012. Your first was january 2012 I believe. Price 1199$. I really believe you still could convince me to buy it from you after i ordered a 50 anni if you may not like it :laughin:

Thanks, yeah - I looked it up on his sight ... along with lots of others! Yikes! He has around a half dozen acoustics and electrics that are giving me GAS! Must resist...  :arrow  After all, Christmas is the season to give, not buy another guitar!!!

I love Larrivee acoustics. I'm not sold on the electrics. Yet.

Paul Reed Smith is doing some great work with electrics.  I bought a S2 , a new mid-priced line that is made right here in the USA.  They are priced similar to a Fender American Standard.

I'm keeping my eye on Larrivee electrics. I'm interested to see how committed they are to that market. I may get one if they continue developing new models.

Quote from: Crocefan4life on February 18, 2017, 07:57:07 PM
I love Larrivee acoustics. I'm not sold on the electrics. Yet.

Paul Reed Smith is doing some great work with electrics.  I bought a S2 , a new mid-priced line that is made right here in the USA.  They are priced similar to a Fender American Standard.

I'm keeping my eye on Larrivee electrics. I'm interested to see how committed they are to that market. I may get one if they continue developing new models.

You need to catch up on the history of Larrivee electric guitars and their current involvement in the electric guitar market.  Their electric guitars were outstanding.  However, they have stopped production of all electric guitars for more than a year now.  Don't worry about getting one if they continue developing new models (which doesn't make sense to me).  Get one of their already built ones instead.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: Crocefan4life on February 18, 2017, 07:57:07 PM
I'm interested to see how committed they are to that market. I may get one if they continue developing new models.
:laughin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I didn't realize Larrivee had stopped production of electric guitars.

I prefer a full range of models to choose from. Single cut or double cut bodies.  Solid or semi-hollow body. Various pickup options. I've bought and sold several electrics over the last 25 years. Even did a trade one time.

I currently play a S2 Mira, double cut, semi-hollow body, coil tapping rig.  I love the split coil switch.  I only need one electric at a Gig.  I switch between single coil and humbucker throughout the set.

I always bring my Larrivee D09 acoustic for ballads and as a backup guitar. The L.R  Baggs System dials in very sweet.

I'd love to play a Larrivee Bakersfield. I played a Fender Telecaster in college. It would be fun to play some old school country twang on the Larrivee. I grew up playing Buck Owens and Haggard songs.

I visit guitar stores any chance I get.  I'll look for a Larrivee Bakersfield. I might get lucky and run across a store with old stock or a used one.

I'm impressed with Alex Hall's demo of the Bakersfield. Impressive country picking and the Bakersfield sounds great.
https://youtu.be/gOBW3hFWPFM

I'd be willing to bet that the Larrivee is nicer but it would be a guess. I sold my Fender tele a couple years back and regret it but my old 80's Larrivee tele is a monster. Can't keep 'em all.

There are three new ones for sale on reverb, a tobaccosunburst, a blonde and a Mary kaye white. Very beautiful guitars, the blonde was a presentation guitar, there's a link on the ad where you can see her in a video, I believe on a Namm show. They are righthanded, to bad for me