Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting take on ukes  (Read 2831 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:24:51 AM »

Hopefully this isn't the wrong place for this...

My beginnings of fretted stringed instruments started with my dad teaching me stuff on his uke, so I could accompany him while he played piano.  He learned ukulele when he was in Hawaii/Korea/Japan in the early 50s.  At this point, I have a half dozen (or so) ukes...  sopranos, concert, baritone, banjo, etc.

Several (uhm, about 20) years ago, my dad lost the tip of one of his fingers docking his boat during a storm...  the rope wrapped around his finger as he was trying to tie the boat up to a pier.  After it healed some, I got him a decent tenor (I forget the make, all solid mahogany) figuring it would be good therapy to help rebuild strength in that finger (and hand).  It worked pretty well in that capacity.

Several years later, and he complains that it's not "plinky" enough.  It's too full sounding.  The goofy thing, is that I know what he means. 

Ed
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »

I know what you mean too.  The old traditional is a very percussive sort of sound.  Maybe this is why some people are so into the vintage plastic stuff.  I think my Koa top/mahogany back/sides Keli'i soprano sounds a lot more plinky than my all-Koa Haleakoa tenor.  Never heard a Larrivée uke.  Do you use high or low g tuning?

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: