Neck seperation from body at heel | Advice please

Started by hamcha, December 06, 2016, 11:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So i just got my a used LV_03 in the mail....

great guitar, but question about one possible issue and looking for advice.

The neck is separated from the body at the heel...JUST enough so that I can slide a piece of VERY thin paper in about 1/2 a centimeter....  Is this something I need to worry about, or no big deal?

Trying to figure out if i should contact the seller about these (sold in 'almost new' condition) or whether these are no big deal things....

If it's just cosmetic, I could care less, but if I'm going to be paying for this later, would like to deal with it now...

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions.  Feel free to contact me w/ questions.

hamch

It might be an issue depending on whether or not the neck angle is too steep for reasonably good string action.  If the angle is too steep, then you can't get the strings low enough without having too little saddle projecting above the bridge.  You can get a pretty good idea of how good the neck angle is by running a straight edge down the center of the fingerboard from the 1st fret to the front of the bridge.  A 24" metal ruler will suffice.  Place the ruler on edge in the center of the fingerboard between the D and G strings and slide it toward the bridge till it just touches it's front edge.  Don't push down on the ruler at the bridge end, but rather, let the main portion of the fingerboard determine the ruler's path to the bridge.  On many guitars, there is a high point where the neck joins the body and a dip from the 14th fret to the sound-hole.  Don't let the ruler pivot downward on this high point.

In the ideal situation, the bottom of the ruler will be even with the top of the bridge at the contact point.  If it is more than a smidgeon above or below the bridge top, then the neck angle is not correct, or at least not ideal.  It is much more common for the neck to be tilted too far forward than the opposite condition.  That's because the string tension wants to pull it that way.

In your case, if there is an issue, the ruler will be lower than the top of the bridge.  If that measurement is more than a 32nd of an inch or so, then it is likely you won't get acceptable string action unless the saddle has to be lowered to the point where there isn't enough left sticking out above the bridge for best tone and volume.  On the other hand, if your guitar has decent action already, and there is at least 1/8" of saddle sticking out at it's lowest point, then you are probably OK to just ignore the gap.  If the gap grows larger over time, then you might have a problem down the road.

You can sometimes mitigate this issue by going to a lighter gauge of strings.  You should also check that the truss rod is adjusted properly.  Other members may have more to say about your concern.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Good stuff, but I am thinking of having a tech look at it.  You think if tech takes a look they can confirm whether or not this may be a problem in future.
I'd really like to keep as it seems to play sweet to me, but if need to return in a week if this will be expensive issue in future.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the solid info.  I really appreciate it. 

Quote from: hamcha on December 07, 2016, 06:00:49 PM
Good stuff, but I am thinking of having a tech look at it.  You think if tech takes a look they can confirm whether or not this may be a problem in future.
I'd really like to keep as it seems to play sweet to me, but if need to return in a week if this will be expensive issue in future.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the solid info.  I really appreciate it. 

That'd be my suggestion.  A decent tech should be able to tell you.  I'd send the seller a heads up that you are having it looked at.

Ed

Quote from: eded on December 07, 2016, 07:11:56 PM
That'd be my suggestion.  A decent tech should be able to tell you.  I'd send the seller a heads up that you are having it looked at.

Ed

:+1:

Thanks all for responses.
I checked w/ tech and all appears to be fine and am proud owner of pretty lv-03.

As suggested I sent ebay seller email letting him know I was going to get guitar checked out.
Hello
Quick update.

Guitar received and it looks in very good shape, but there is neck and body separation. This is potentially a serious issue and I am having a tech check it out this weekend. I will let you know what the tech says.

Thank you and I hope you are feeling better.

A couple of the extreme responses which does not include a phone call
1)  if i could hate id hate you you r so disgusting go trump and rid our great country of psyco lib lowlifes like you

2) i hope and pray that you and all the other evil and unprincipaled psyco libs in this country are ejected from our great country asap ... as trump promises ... thank god ... thank you for nothing ... and please stay off ebay because you are ALL ABOUT what has gone wrong with this site and the world

My response
Dear Mr (name removed)
I do not know how to respond to your phone calls and emails.

I do know that you and are are loved by our God and I hope that you find it in your heart to understand that I was only making sure the item I won and paid for is as advertised. I have checked with a tech and all appears to be fine. Thank you for prompt delivery of the auction item.

Please know that I am concerned for your heart and health and I will continue to pray for you.

God bless and may you have a warm and loving holiday season.

Great to hear the guitar is in good shape.  Enjoy!

And, post pics or clips when you feel like it!

Ed

Quote from: hamcha on December 12, 2016, 09:06:29 PM
if i could hate id hate you you r so disgusting go trump and rid our great country of psyco lib lowlifes like you

Wow.  :cop:   Scary that "the deplorables" are feeling empowered in today's social climate.  Sorry that's a political comment but I don't know how else one can interpret this.

I'd definitely report him to eBay. He is clearly being abusive. Keep a copy of his emails in case eBay asks. Be sure to give him a negative feedback because he's clearly what negative feedback is for.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

:bgrin: Great response hamsha.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: eded on December 12, 2016, 09:38:20 PM
Great to hear the guitar is in good shape.  Enjoy!

And, post pics or clips when you feel like it!

Ed

Some of seller pics from ebay auction.  If I get a chance I'll post some of my own.  Added bonus, my Larrivee guitar was made in Canada!!!
:bgrin:

Thanks again to all that replied with thoughts, advice, suggestions, and encouragement.
I decided not to leave feedback for seller as item was as described, shipped promptly, and praying my response plants the seed of our God in his heart.
Have a warm blessed holiday season to you all.
:cheers

Quote from: hamcha on December 15, 2016, 12:57:47 PM
Some of seller pics from ebay auction.  If I get a chance I'll post some of my own.  Added bonus, my Larrivee guitar was made in Canada!!!

Good looking guitar!  Enjoy!

Ed

Quote from: eded on December 15, 2016, 04:42:06 PM
Good looking guitar!  Enjoy!

:+1:

Quote from: hamcha on December 15, 2016, 12:57:47 PMAdded bonus, my Larrivee guitar was made in Canada!!!
Really  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Nice guitar.  I'm glad it all worked out for you.  Play it lots.

My, bad.  These are late, but early for Christmas
:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut2

Happy Holidays!
:smile: