The Larrivee semi hollow debate.

Started by headsup, December 06, 2016, 05:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a site I snoop around on, this link of Ray LaMontange's gear is interesting.

https://reverb.com/shop/officialraylamontagneshop?utm_campaign=52a69d8bba-rn161206_Deals_ca&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=0_5889ed6702-52a69d8bba-58277705&page=2

On page  2 are some Collings Electrics, that are sort of what I envisioned my Larrivee Semi hollow guitar to be.

I went the Godin route, and I have already mentioned the upgrades I have done and I'm considering..

the 5-6K plus price range (CDN) is definitely prohibitive for me, and IF Larrivee ever went into production, to stay with their tradition of, say the RS4, I suspect the cost would be close to that price point.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I don't want to pay 5K for a guitar and won't. I can't see how they can justify that price for a new electric other than brand name. I guess I'll be relying on my old Univox. Damn good 335 and half the price of a Gibson in 1979.

Eastman has some nice semi-hollow offerings.

so.....evidently that Texas company makes and sells those guitars and gets the prices.

this sort of flies in the face of many discussions around, say the Larrivee electric adventures, as well as the millions cheap labour guitars flooding the market./.. yes?

and ...

go.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Collings electrics are like their acoustics-expensive, very well made, and domestic. They don't rely on mass produced instruments sold to aging dilettantes (before you all start, I include myself in that assessment). It is a shame that Larrivee can't produce every guitar that each of us can dream up at a price that we can be happy with, but I think we have to live with it.

Quote from: nctom on December 06, 2016, 09:35:07 PM
Collings electrics are like their acoustics-expensive, very well made, and domestic. They don't rely on mass produced instruments sold to aging dilettantes (before you all start, I include myself in that assessment). It is a shame that Larrivee can't produce every guitar that each of us can dream up at a price that we can be happy with, but I think we have to live with it.

I met a guy who owned two Ryans, two Collings and drove a Porsche. The guy knew all three chords. Sort of.  There are rich dilettantes, as well.   :cheers 

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 07, 2016, 06:42:39 AM
I met a guy who owned two Ryans, two Collings and drove a Porsche. The guy knew all three chords. Sort of.  There are rich dilettantes, as well.   :cheers 
Rich with taste. Some are fortunate!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Having many Gibsons including a Midtown, 165, 335 and 347 I still pine for a Larrivee Hollow or Semi-.

But I'm waning.  I just don't think its ever going to happen from Larrivee.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I like the deeper body hollow more than the semi-hollow, they just sound more full and jazzy to me...  I would love to have a Larrivee built one, ...or a Linda Manzer (which I could probably never afford to buy even used)
George

There are some many low price semi solids and both thin and full size hollowbodies out there that with a few hundred bucks you can have one for under $700 with upgrade pu's and pots and tuners.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 07, 2016, 10:17:36 AM
Rich with taste. Some are fortunate!!

Frankly, the guy could not even charitably be called a guitar player. Sort of a waste but if you have twenty grand to spend on guitars, why not?

Collings has something else going for it - reputation and resale value. Sure, you'll take a hit if you buy a new Collings and then sell it, but if a new Larrivee semi-hollow had an MSRP close to the Collings, it would, sadly not command near the resale value. It's just supply and demand (a lot of which is image and perceived value by the majority of the marketplace - which is to say, a majority of guitar players).

Like others here, I don't hold out much hope that Larrivee will ever bring a semi-hollow or hollow body arch top to market. And like duck, I get that itch scratched nicely with a lefty '82 Yamaha SA1000 I found a couple years ago. Wonderful guitar with lots of mojo...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

What are the attractions or benefits of a semi-hollow guitar?

Is it strictly aesthetic?

Quote from: skyline on December 07, 2016, 01:21:03 PM

Well, the general opinion (and marketing strategy) for semi-hollow's is that they're a bit "warmer" or "woodier" sounding than an all solid electric (e.g., Les Paul), but they won't howl with feedback at higher volumes like a fully hollow jazz box will.

I find that to be a pretty fair assessment - I'll also add that they may not sustain as much as a full solid body will, however, they will sustain plenty with enough volume and intentionally getting them close to the amp to create feedback!

I play mine more than my solid-body set-neck electrics (an Epiphone Elitist and a Larrivee RS-4). I also have a mid-90's Epiphone Sheraton that is nice, but the Yamaha is King!   
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: skyline on December 07, 2016, 01:21:03 PM

No, they are definitely different sounding.

I own two high end (if there really is such a thing) Ibanez archtop guitars.  One is a 335 size thinbody with Burl Maple and the other is a solid spruce topped flame maple full sized archtop.  They both have the same neck profile, electronics, Super 58 humbucker pickups, inlays, all wood parts, etc., but they sound and play totally different.  The SJ300 has all flame maple binding everywhere and is very nice on the eyes and ears.  The transparent cherry on the AS253 is stunning to look at and plays and sounds much more like a 335.  I have never worried about feedback since I do not gig...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on December 07, 2016, 03:15:56 PMThe SJ300 has all flame maple binding everywhere and is very nice on the eyes and ears.  The transparent cherry on the AS253 is stunning to look at and plays and sounds much more like a 335. 

Do the tailpiece, bridge, and pickups on the AS253 connect to some sort of solid block?

Quote from: skyline on December 07, 2016, 03:23:46 PM
Do the tailpiece, bridge, and pickups on the AS253 connect to some sort of solid block?

Yes, solid wood piece down the center.
George

Quote from: skyline on December 07, 2016, 03:23:46 PM

Quote from: georbro3 on December 07, 2016, 03:24:35 PM
Yes, solid wood piece down the center.

BTW - they're both beautiful!