Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riversong Guitars  (Read 1997 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:54:37 PM »

I'm not convinced. Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FLTNsTOeiPg8FC25ZGBtOFdA&v=HNpQNtz3EJ0
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:21:10 PM »

Sigh... another fly by night "success" is born. They'll be gone in two years.

Of course, people said that about Leo Fender, too...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »

Oh, wasn't impressed with the sound, either...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:53:29 PM »

I'd like to hear and play one. It looks like an interesting idea.  

I wouldn't judge this based on the audio quality you get through online videos.

Unfortunately, there are are no dealers near me.
http://www.riversongguitars.com/find-a-dealer/

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »

I was more impressed by the Babicz guitar than this one.  The recording environment could have been a good bit of the sound issue.

George
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »

The concept of a full length neck has occurred to me before, but not the action adjusting feature. The top will still need some reinforcement, and humidity will also be a problem. I wouldn't buy one until the bugs are worked out, and I'm sure there will be a few.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »

Reminded me of the hype over Garrison guitars. They sucked.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:58:51 AM »

Anyway, it's not like there's a problem with the guitars I have.  rolleye

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »

That guitar could put me out of work.......

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 03:13:54 AM »

That guitar could put me out of work.......

Ha!  

Somebody's always trying invent a better mouse trap. Good luck to them but I have no problems with the good old fashioned, tried and true kind.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:09 AM »

Trouble for me is the Riversong Guitars in the 2 videos I looked at did not sound very good at all.  I'm guessing it's the extra chunk of wood in the body cavity required by the "neck through" design.  I think there is a lot of work ahead if they think they can convince most serious players that the convenience of the neck adjustment is worth the compromise in tone.  Knowledgeable players with decently constructed traditional guitars will just use conventional methods to fine tune their guitars action, whether or not they do it themselves or get their techs to do it. 

I like the concept.  Who wouldn't want to be able to adjust the action with the turn of an allen wrench at the butt of the guitar?  Like a micro-tilt Fender in some respects?  That's a feature that I really like about the late 70's - early 80's Norman guitars.  Why they abandoned it, who knows?  Their solution was much simpler, more elegant,  and didn't involve incorporating a huge slab of extra wood extending through the body.  They just simply screwed the neck on from the back like a Fender and provided little set screws, adjusted with an allen wrench, accessible  from the top of the fingerboard at about the 19th fret, (going by memory).  Easy fine adjustment and no compromise in sound, in my experience.

So, Ducktrapper, I'm not convinced either.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »

Trouble for me is the Riversong Guitars in the 2 videos I looked at did not sound very good at all.  I'm guessing it's the extra chunk of wood in the body cavity required by the "neck through" design.  I think there is a lot of work ahead if they think they can convince most serious players that the convenience of the neck adjustment is worth the compromise in tone.  Knowledgeable players with decently constructed traditional guitars will just use conventional methods to fine tune their guitars action, whether or not they do it themselves or get their techs to do it.  

I like the concept.  Who wouldn't want to be able to adjust the action with the turn of an allen wrench at the butt of the guitar?  Like a micro-tilt Fender in some respects?  That's a feature that I really like about the late 70's - early 80's Norman guitars.  Why they abandoned it, who knows?  Their solution was much simpler, more elegant,  and didn't involve incorporating a huge slab of extra wood extending through the body.  They just simply screwed the neck on from the back like a Fender and provided little set screws, adjusted with an allen wrench, accessible  from the top of the fingerboard at about the 19th fret, (going by memory).  Easy fine adjustment and no compromise in sound, in my experience.

So, Ducktrapper, I'm not convinced either.

If you're going to try to convince people that you've built a better guitar you're going to have to provide a much better sound clip. Ease of adjustment is not the first thing I look for in a guitar.    
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »

Someone mentioned Garrison.  I thought the idea of those was pretty cool but I never got to play one. 

I'm a headstock shape snob and the one on the Riverdance (that's what the actual name reminds me of) would be a deal-breaker for me.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »

Someone mentioned Garrison.  I thought the idea of those was pretty cool but I never got to play one.  

I'm a headstock shape snob and the one on the Riverdance (that's what the actual name reminds me of) would be a deal-breaker for me.

I got to play three Garrisons. Two were awful. Weird sounding things. One, the most expensive, sounded and played pretty good but was the heaviest acoustic guitar I'd ever encountered. Obviously, they never took off even after Gibson took them over.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »

I got to play three Garrisons. Two were awful. Weird sounding things. One, the most expensive, sounded and played pretty good but was the heaviest acoustic guitar I'd ever encountered. Obviously, they never took off even after Gibson took them over.

+1

Pretty much mirrors my experience with Garrisons. I wanted to like them (who doesn't want to like something "new"?). But they were blah... and yeah, heavy.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 10:45:41 PM »

I have actually played a couple Riversong guitars and tone was not an issue.  Tone wise they stood up very well.  however action and neck profile was more like an electric guitar which I did not like.  I own a late 60s Fender Palomino and don't like its feel either.  An acoustic guitar has to feel like an acoustic guitar, not just sound like one as far as I am concerned.  At any rate, with most acoustic players, tradition is very hard to break through.

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 12:02:02 AM »

Hi webberink,

It's great to hear your impressions from having played a Riversong.

I have actually played a couple Riversong guitars and tone was not an issue.  Tone wise they stood up very well.  however action and neck profile was more like an electric guitar which I did not like.  I own a late 60s Fender Palomino and don't like its feel either.  An acoustic guitar has to feel like an acoustic guitar, not just sound like one as far as I am concerned.  At any rate, with most acoustic players, tradition is very hard to break through.

For me, playability is at least as important as tone. Having said that, I like it when the feel of the instrument matches the sound. That's why I struggle a bit when use my Roland VG-99 (virtual guitar system). It feels odd to play bass, flute, 12-string, or classical guitar, on my electric guitar.

Having said that, I've been told that I set up my acoustic guitars to play like electric guitars. 

I recently played a new Sigurdson Classical/Flamenco hybrid guitar. It was exceptional and I immediately found myself playing differently. I really enjoyed the way the instrument felt and responded. It just begged me to dig in and explore what it had to say.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »

Interesting. I agree. An acoustic guitar has to feel right. 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »

My acoustic guitars have very low action some would say like an electric BUT unlike most people my acoustic's are strung 14-58 and my electrics are strung with 12-56 with a wound G.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 12:50:46 AM »

my electrics are strung with a wound G.

Mine too!   +1

George
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up