Neck strap button removal.

Started by updog247, November 30, 2016, 07:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy, I am looking to remove a neck strap button and was hoping to get some direction. Is it as simple as filling the hole with wood putty and smoothing it out or is there some trick that I need to be aware of. Thanks    :coffee :coffee :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut          :beer
Larrivee LS-09    Larrivee LV-03W    Collings C10 cutaway

Quote from: updog247 on November 30, 2016, 07:36:06 PM
Howdy, I am looking to remove a neck strap button and was hoping to get some direction. Is it as simple as filling the hole with wood putty and smoothing it out or is there some trick that I need to be aware of. Thanks
You don't say which guitar it is, I think you have more than one? And you don't way what strap button it is, at the bottom of the guitar or on the neck.
If on the bottom of the guitar, just leave it. It is useful for installing a pickup later and is a feature of Larrivees.
If on the neck, and it was me, I would just leave it. Or at least, just put a shorter screw in it as a marker.
Are you looking to completely remove the button or relocate it?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

:coffee  Its the Larrivee LS09 and it came with the neck strap button already installed. It is in the way and I don't use a strap with this one.   :donut2 :donut

Quote from: updog247 on November 30, 2016, 08:46:08 PM
:coffee  Its the Larrivee LS09 and it came with the neck strap button already installed. It is in the way and I don't use a strap with this one.   :donut2 :donut

Why not just take it out and ignore it?

Ed

Quote from: updog247 on November 30, 2016, 08:46:08 PM
:coffee  Its the Larrivee LS09 and it came with the neck strap button already installed. It is in the way and I don't use a strap with this one.   :donut2 :donut
Geez, an LS-09. I wouldn't mess with it, but that is me.
I now back out. You have a fine guitar, and I imagine some of us are jealous.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on November 30, 2016, 08:02:55 PM
You don't say which guitar it is, I think you have more than one?
Mike
Doesn't everyone have more than one?   :donut2 :donut :coffee

Quote from: updog247 on November 30, 2016, 09:22:26 PM
Doesn't everyone have more than one?   :donut2 :donut :coffee
No. I only had one Larrivee (to start with). But you and I seem to be on the same path.
Why is it I would not consider owning a handful of Martins, yet have a handful of Larrivees. Dunno.
BTW, the L-05 had a strap button on neck heel, and I left it. It is a button used with strap locks.
It also had an extra strap lock button on the bottom of the guitar, just under the Larrivee strap button.
So I have extra hardware on the guitar, which I left as is, since I have a strap with locks on it anyhow, initially for use on my Fenders.
It is of great comfort to me that particular guitar will never fall to the ground inadvertently when I play standing.
Mike

Leave it. There's no reason to remove it.

Here are your choice's...remove it and leave the hole alone,fill it with wood putty or have the hole filled with a dowel.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

:coffee  Thanks all, my concern with just taking the button out would be it might expose the wood to moisture over time so I will fill the hole with some putty.   :donut :donut2 :donut 

Quote from: updog247 on December 01, 2016, 09:11:45 AM
:coffee  Thanks all, my concern with just taking the button out would be it might expose the wood to moisture over time so I will fill the hole with some putty.   :donut :donut2 :donut 

I think the more common fix is (as unclrob pointed out) is a dowel glued in (with wood glue) to fill the hole, and then smoothed.  That way, if a strap pin is ever wanted again, it can be properly drilled out again.  You can (usually) find a sharpie or one of the stain sticks at a woodworking/home improvement store to blend it in.  And, in this case, a wood toothpick is usually the right size "dowel".

Ed

:thumb  Good one Ed. After backing the screw out there is a very tiny hole and I think a toothpick would work great. Now on to the gathering of materials and get to work.   :coffee :coffee :donut2  :donut   :donut2   :donut

toothpicks are good fillers for tuning machine holes too....
George

I use oak dowels and wood glue,thin to size with my belt sander.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

ALL of my guitars have buttons in the heel. I installed all of them and very seldom use a strap when I'm sitting down. I don't play at the 12th position much and they definitely don't get in the way. I look at a very nice guitar a while ago and the only thing that KEPT me from buying it was that it had a filled hole. Leave it unless you NEVER want to get rid of this guitar. I you do eventually want to sell and/or trade the guitar having a filled hole might reduce the value.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)