Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another tune from the old days.....  (Read 1133 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »

...one I probably should have learned 35 years ago, but didn't dig in to until a couple days ago.  Always fun doing piano songs on guitar!  Move the volume slider on the Box player up before listening.  Billy Joel "She's Always a Woman"

https://app.box.com/s/vhjc0rc2dau921kotuc9pmipk8ejoezg

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »

I love your rendition of this classic song Todd.  Which guitar are you playing on this one?  What mics do you use?

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »

I love your rendition of this classic song Todd.  Which guitar are you playing on this one?  What mics do you use?

That's my Charis SJ capo at 2 with strings that are past what I would normally record with.   The guitar mic is a Blue Encore 300 about a foot away pointed at the neck/body joint.  Vocal mic is a Blue Encore 100.   Recorder is a Tascam DP-01FX.  Thanks for listening!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »

Always love to hear your singing and playing Todd! 

fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »

Always love to hear your singing and playing Todd! 

Thanks my friend - hope things are great in your world!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »

That's my Charis SJ capo at 2 with strings that are past what I would normally record with.   The guitar mic is a Blue Encore 300 about a foot away pointed at the neck/body joint.  Vocal mic is a Blue Encore 100.   Recorder is a Tascam DP-01FX.  Thanks for listening!

Interesting that you would use a condenser for the guitar and a dynamic for the vocal.  Extraordinary quality recordings from affordable equipment...  What is your secret?  Is it the room?

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:30:43 PM »

Interesting that you would use a condenser for the guitar and a dynamic for the vocal.  Extraordinary quality recordings from affordable equipment...  What is your secret?  Is it the room?

Actually my room is AWFUL - 4 concrete walls, tall ceilings and no room treatment ohmy   The reason for one condensor and one dynamic is that I sit and play (classical-ish w/ a foot stool) and record main guitar and vocal parts simultaneously.   With the mics that close together it's easy to get feedback and cross talk in a live situation, so I've always opted for this scenario, even when recording.

So no secrets - just being an audiophile for many years (really good ears) and tweaking the controls to make it sound best in my phones.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »

Actually my room is AWFUL - 4 concrete walls, tall ceilings and no room treatment ohmy   The reason for one condensor and one dynamic is that I sit and play (classical-ish w/ a foot stool) and record main guitar and vocal parts simultaneously.   With the mics that close together it's easy to get feedback and cross talk in a live situation, so I've always opted for this scenario, even when recording.

So no secrets - just being an audiophile for many years (really good ears) and tweaking the controls to make it sound best in my phones.

Are you sure you aren't fixing it in the digital post production?  I have never been able to get this excellence in quality directly from any DP...

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »

Are you sure you aren't fixing it in the digital post production? 

Haha - you are talking over my head there buddy - not even sure what that means. bigrin  I'm sure I could get it a lot better if I'd learn to use my Tascam to it's full potential (Compression, etc) I've never really learned anything except how to assign mics to channels, set the reverb and press record

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 01:10:56 AM »

Haha - you are talking over my head there buddy - not even sure what that means. bigrin  I'm sure I could get it a lot better if I'd learn to use my Tascam to it's full potential (Compression, etc) I've never really learned anything except how to assign mics to channels, set the reverb and press record

Then you certainly have the Magic Touch to go with your most excellent talent!  If you can do this just by listening, you would make a very good recording engineer...

George
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 03:41:22 AM »

Your voice on this is just way way great. I love it.
The high notes on the refrain just took me away. Better than the original.I listened to this like 6 times.
Great job. Only comment on the guitar that it was a superb accompaniment to your vocal.
Mike
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

Your voice on this is just way way great. I love it.
The high notes on the refrain just took me away. Better than the original.I listened to this like 6 times.
Great job. Only comment on the guitar that it was a superb accompaniment to your vocal.
Mike

Very kind of you Mike  -   glad you enjoyed it.   Nice to hear that folks think it came off pretty good - as always when I record something all I hear are the mistakes!! ohmy

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »

Very kind of you Mike  -   glad you enjoyed it.   Nice to hear that folks think it came off pretty good - as always when I record something all I hear are the mistakes!! ohmy

that sounds just like the rest of us!

George
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »

So we got almost all the equipment described, except the headphones,  unless I missed that.
What kind of headphones are you using?
Mike
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »

So we got almost all the equipment described, except the headphones,  unless I missed that.
What kind of headphones are you using?
Mike

I picked these up on a very hot deal (like 50.00 shipped) a while back - been pretty impressed.  Seem quite similar to the previous AT-M50's I used.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Headphone-Co-Headphones-Detachable/dp/B009F4BV8C

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 02:26:06 AM »

I love your voice!
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 02:34:33 AM »

I love your voice!

Thanks so much - starting to come back after the allergy season!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: