Parabolic bracing????

Started by Rdodger300, November 26, 2016, 01:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I was curious about the bracing on my Larry so when I was changing strings I slipped my cell phone in the sound hole to take a video and it looks like I have the parabolic bracing (not real sure) on my d 02. On the larrivee website it says parabolic hybrid bracing but on other dealers websites it says symmetrical x bracing. Just wondering if you guys know which it's supposed to have and how I can tell which is which by looking at the braces themselves
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2007 Gibson les Paul Custom
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Try this
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Parabolic bracing has a 40 in the model number   i.e. SD 40 or D 40

Mine is on the right , I think they call it hybrid parabolic and the one on left is scalloped parabolic? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

The main X brace is a parabolic shape in both bracing patterns.

The -40 series "hybrid" bracing has two scalloped tone bars (like a Martin) instead of one or two symmetric cross braces.  (see pic above)

Regardless, the main x brace is parabolic in both.

Quote from: Rdodger300 on November 26, 2016, 02:45:49 PM
Mine is on the right , I think they call it hybrid parabolic and the one on left is scalloped parabolic? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yours is the standard Larrivée parallel style
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Ok, gotcha. Thanx for the help
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Parabolic is the shape of the brace - the free side (non glued side)'s shape is parabolic or radiussed.
Symmetrical is the arrangement or bracing pattern (the way the braces are placed on the sound board) meaning it is the similar on both the treble and bass sides.
The above spec is the way all Larrivees except the 40-series are braced.

Hybrid Larrivee bracing as found on the 40-series, has the same shape and arrangement of the X-braces, the tongue and traverse braces (between sound hole and neck block) as the "regular" Larrivee bracing.
The finger braces (the flat spruce strips which are arranged from the bridge plate toward the waist of the top) differ in quantity (Hybrid has one each side of the bridge as opposed to 2 on each side of the "regular" arrangement)
The tone bars have a parabolic shape too, but are scooped (scalloped) in the middle, and are arranged non-symmetrically to free up the vibration on the bass side as in regular Martin Bracing.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure