Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Waltz 1976 - 2016  (Read 535 times)
skyline

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:33:57 PM »

Came across an interesting article about filming The Band's "The Last Waltz" . . .

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/10/making-of-the-last-waltz-the-band

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »

Came across an interesting article about filming The Band's "The Last Waltz" . . .
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/10/making-of-the-last-waltz-the-band

Thank you for that. We recently watched the Last Waltz, just on a lark really, and were so impressed.
Great film.
My favorite part was Bob Dylan with "Fo-rev-uh Young". Magic. Made me want to get a white Panama hat.
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:44:25 AM »

Interesting read. I look forward to getting a copy of Robertson's book. I've watched The Last Waltz so many times, I know it by heart.  Funny thing, when it played in the theatre in my home town, the marquee advertised The Last Waltz starring Neil Diamond. Heh.

Another interesting thing I read was that, contrary to what Robertson says, the other Band members were not completely aware that this was actually to be their last show. If you watch the film, you'll notice that all that talk is filmed separately with just Robertson and Scorcese. The others thought that they were merely taking a break and would continue to record and possibly do a few shows every now and then. If you watch the Levon Helm documentary, "I'm Not in it For My Health", Levon near the end of his life is a pretty bitter man. Much of that bitterness aimed at JRR. Robertson had apparently had enough of working with three addicts and an autistic man and was the one who needed to call this off. Another great watch is Festival Express filmed on the Band's cross Canada train tour. The madness is apparent.      
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: