Steve Winwood Acoustic "Can't find my way..."

Started by Danny, November 16, 2016, 05:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 18, 2016, 09:44:53 AM
I hear nothing much that isn't retreads of what has gone before. Some of it good but much of it mundane. I see a lot of the new groups actually. Jools Holland's show is great for that. I watched Austin City Limits last night. A great REM concert (one of the last great bands) and they were followed by The National and Band of Horses (two of the top new alt rock bands) ...  :yawn
So I had to watch a video of "It's the End of the World" thanks to you bringing up REM...I've always really liked that song and always will.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 18, 2016, 10:25:26 AM
I hate when that happens.  :crying:
It's somewhat like having a melody and lyrics come out. But you didn't write the words down.  :rolleye:

Quote from: Danny on November 18, 2016, 10:23:20 AM
I just wrote a really long post and lost it on my smarter than me phone. Oh well.
Whatever it was Danny, I'll bet it was good!  
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: Danny on November 18, 2016, 10:30:52 AM
    It's somewhat like having a melody and lyrics come out. But you didn't write the words down.  :rolleye:

I've made up so many great songs while out walking the dogs that totally got lost by the time I got home, I can't even begin to tell ya!  :laughin: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 18, 2016, 03:00:28 PM
I've made up so many great songs while out walking the dogs that totally got lost by the time I got home, I can't even begin to tell ya!  :laughin: 
I have ran into Joe Ely around the Austin area a few times. One time we talked about writing songs and he said he always has a note pad or paper and pen. Then he writes down all kinds of notes and full verses etc.
    Then he will pull them all out while working on a song, and draw from all the stuff he jotted down. I've heard of other songwriters doing the same.
    Now when I have some words to a song I stop, find a pen and paper and write it down.

Quote from: Danny on November 18, 2016, 03:07:58 PM
   I have ran into Joe Ely around the Austin area a few times. One time we talked about writing songs and he said he always has a note pad or paper and pen. Then he writes down all kinds of notes and full verses etc.
    Then he will pull them all out while working on a song, and draw from all the stuff he jotted down. I've heard of other songwriters doing the same.
    Now when I have some words to a song I stop, find a pen and paper and write it down.

Oh yeah, I have about a zillion notebooks, loose pages, scraps of paper with verses, a chorus, often one or two lines. I keep thinking I need a small portable battery operated recorder to catch these things that come when I can't write them down. Besides that captures the tune, as well.

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 18, 2016, 03:28:27 PM
Oh yeah, I have about a zillion notebooks, loose pages, scraps of paper with verses, a chorus, often one or two lines. I keep thinking I need a small portable battery operated recorder to catch these things that come when I can't write them down. Besides that captures the tune, as well.

According to his addled memory, Keef woke up in a stupor one night with the riff for satisfaction going thru his brain.  He recorded it on a portable recorder and forgot about it.  One day he hit play, and voila.