Amp for keyboard

Started by Gordo in OZ, November 11, 2016, 07:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi experts. My two grandchildren have turned out to be musical and both want musical instruments for Christmas. The guitar player is no problem and I have that under control. The younger one wants an electronic keyboard and of course that is going to require a practice amp. I know nothing about practice amps for keyboards. HELP! Any advice appreciated.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

I don't know what size your looking for but check out Roland and Peavey.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I agree with Rob. Peavey generally makes pretty good small amps. Behringer is worth a look. Hard to go wrong with Fender, as well.  

https://www.gearank.com/guides/keyboard-amplifier

A couple things...  depending on the keyboard they want, there may be speakers built in.  They may not need an amp.   And, an alternative to a keyboard amp would be a powered speaker. 

My suggestion would be an amp (or powered speaker) with at least a 12" speaker and a horn.

Good luck figuring it out.

Ed

Quote from: eded on November 11, 2016, 04:32:52 PM
A couple things...  depending on the keyboard they want, there may be speakers built in.  They may not need an amp.   And, an alternative to a keyboard amp would be a powered speaker. 

My suggestion would be an amp (or powered speaker) with at least a 12" speaker and a horn.

Good luck figuring it out.

Ed

R
Ed is right.  Also in addition to the likelihood of on board speakers, there are headphone outputs.

As for amps, a powered speaker designed to be used as a main speaker is sometimes a more economical choice, though less convenient than a keyboard amp.

'Acoustic' guitar amps are full-range setups, many times with a woofer and tweeter hidden behind the grille cloth - just like keyboard amps.  Keyboard amps and Acoustic Guitar Amps are really small self-contained PA systems, usually accomodating an instrument input and a microphone input (sometimes they even have phantom power for the mic preamp).
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Excellent replies. Thank you. I had not thought of powered speakers and that is certainly the way to go for the keyboard. Thank you all so much.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps