Leonard Cohen

Started by skyline, November 10, 2016, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

He lived a full life!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

His last few albums have been brilliant ... and dark. So long Leonard. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 11, 2016, 07:29:09 AM
His last few albums have been brilliant ... and dark. So long Leonard. 

But Oh So Great!  He is singing with the choir of Angels now...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on November 11, 2016, 10:11:34 AM
But Oh So Great!  He is singing with the choir of Angels now...

I just got "You Want it Darker" three weeks ago and it is fantastic. Basically recorded on his death bed. Astounding! 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 11, 2016, 11:06:55 AM
I just got "You Want it Darker" three weeks ago and it is fantastic. Basically recorded on his death bed. Astounding! 

I like that song too.  No mistaking that voice.  5 decades of writing and performing songs that will be remembered...
George

Huge influence of mine.  Nearly all of my living musical heroes have passed away in the last year.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 11, 2016, 07:14:01 PM
Huge influence of mine.  Nearly all of my living musical heroes have passed away in the last year.

I've always been told I sound like LC. I always assumed it's because I'm not much of a singer.   :laughin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 11, 2016, 07:48:21 PM
I've always been told I sound like LC. I always assumed it's because I'm not much of a singer.   :laughin:

Or, does your breath smell like whiskey and tobacco when you sing?

Quote from: Walkerman on November 12, 2016, 10:34:35 AM
Or, does your breath smell like whiskey and tobacco when you sing?

Well, no tobacco ...  :whistling:

Very few lyricists can be acclaimed to aspire to his level.  I'm 63 years old and was exposed to his music when I was in high school.  I was very taken with it then and have been ever since.  He was a person who knew what he wanted to say and said it without much regard to trends or other influences.  I believe it simply came from his heart or maybe from his gut.  Despite being apparently ripped off by "management" at times, he persisted in just performing with a purpose and anyone who saw him perform was always very moved.  I never saw him live, but my wife did a few years ago here in Edmonton, and she considers it the best performance she ever attended. RIP Leonard Cohen.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 13, 2016, 12:05:02 AM
Very few lyricists can be acclaimed to aspire to his level. 

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 13, 2016, 12:05:02 AMHe was a person who knew what he wanted to say and said it without much regard to trends or other influences. 

Cohen is definitely one of the small subset of modern artists who's influence reverberates way beyond their "fame" . . .

Hansard's cover  - Famous Blue Rain coat