new tuners AND strings!

Started by headsup, November 08, 2016, 09:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been invited to perform a reunion show in Montreal this coming Saturday.
It's a 50 year celebration of a coffeehouse I got my start in back in 1971.
Trying to decide which guitar to take has been a challenge, but I decided on the 1971 Larrivee for obvious reasons.
I t was at this coffee house where I was first introduced to larrivee guitars, and had one made for me in 1972.

The 71 D, as many know is the first steel string Jean built, for a Toronto Singer/songwriter, (and a friend of mine).
I ended up with it by circumstance, and, although it's a fragile guitar (has had lots of repairs) it plays and sounds quite good.

Having made the choice to take out in public, I knew I had to deal with it's tuning issues.
I knew the original grovers were shot (well over 40 years old) and needed to be replaced.
I just avoided the issue, for no really good reason.
This morning I finally swapped them out for a much newer set I had, and what an amazing difference!
The guitar actually tunes AND stays in tune!

WHAT A CONCEPT! HAH

Not wanting to stop there, I decided to put a set of the Martin Monel retro strings on it, and by doing so would move to a "light" gauge from a "custom Light" gauge ( I used the custom lights due to what I felt was the fragility of the instrument)

Well HOLY MOLY, the tuning is brilliant, the response from those strings (big, warm, and fat) is really terrific.
I'll have to see how the guitar likes the extra tension, however, I'm just thrilled with re-discovering this guitar for at least the 4th time since I've owned it.

Can't put it down.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I'm sure your guitar will get mentioned in conversation to the audience  :thumbsup

:gotpics: of the new tuners  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

MEH, I've put some thought into this show, and have decided as it's not about me, (or the guitar) i can't hear myself saying anything.
Neither can I hear myself singing my own songs/recordings etc., but rather pay tribute to three friends from back in the day who're a great inspiration to me; Jesse Winchester, Kate Mcgarrigle & Penny Lang, all Montreal "folkies", all moved on to the "other" place.

the tuners are simply another set of grovers, but gold (which adds to the honey gold top if the guitar).
Like over 50?

Break a leg. I would love to able to attend but alas, not.  :beer 

Hope it all goes well and you have a great time.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I am probably the MOST self indulgent person on this forum.

sensitive singer/songwriters ALWAYS make EVERYTHING about themselves.

you'd think at my age, I'd get over myself eh?   :arrow :? :whistling: :cheers
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on November 08, 2016, 12:30:54 PM
MEH, I've put some thought into this show, and have decided as it's not about me, (or the guitar) i can't hear myself saying anything.
Neither can I hear myself singing my own songs/recordings etc., but rather pay tribute to three friends from back in the day who're a great inspiration to me; Jesse Winchester, Kate Mcgarrigle & Penny Lang, all Montreal "folkies", all moved on to the "other" place.

the tuners are simply another set of grovers, but gold (which adds to the honey gold top if the guitar).
I think you made the right choice in using that guitar for the show.  Someone will likely ask you about the guitar at some point?  So what songs did you settle on to accomplish your tribute objective?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I will be paying tribute, and honouring a few folks from my time who meant a good deal to me.

Sean Gagnier- "outa sight-outa mind".
Kate Mpcgarrigle "Log drivers Waltze"
jesse Winchester "you can't stand up alone.
Penny Lang "Ain't life Sweet"

The other performers on stage I hope will join in, a good deal of the older folkies in the house, I suspect will sing loud and proud.

then we'll have a big group hug, shed a tear, and have a sip of sing :cheersle malt....
Like over 50?

OK more self indulgent boring stuff on the Montreal Folk scene, but it was and still continues to be a place of community as the CBC news item says.

The old 1971 Larrivee did it';s job and was shared and played by many.

Hers the news clip of the event, the day after the show, and the guitar in the hotel room after being rode hard and put away wet....

I might add, as a political note, I still feel very strongly that the folks that came here back then, added and brought wonderful things with them from their US towns and families.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/yellow-door-coffeehouse-anniversary-1.3849324
Like over 50?

Looks like a good time was had by all and your guitar choice was the right one for the occasion.  As a Canadian,  I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with the music of those you covered except for Kate.  That old CBC vignette of the Log Driver's Waltz is what turned me on to the McGarrigle's.  I think I have every album they ever released.  Singing harmonies like no other.

Very cool event.  Thanks for the follow up report Kevin. 
George

Great story.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Been out for awhile......great story!  Love the vintage look, looking forward to an aged D-03 purchased in 2016.

Quote from: headsup on November 09, 2016, 07:08:52 PM
you'd think at my age, I'd get over myself eh?   :arrow :? :whistling: :cheers

Don't tell me that! I just got blasted last weekend for singing a song I wrote about ex-girlfriend who was in the audience. "If it weren't for Love" (she wouldn't hate me so much) Self indulgent and narcissistic were just 2 of the words she used!  
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: headsup on November 09, 2016, 07:08:52 PM

you'd think at my age, I'd get over myself eh?   :arrow :? :whistling: :cheers

Ha!  We are whoever we are!  Doesn't matter to us unless it bothers you...  Listen to Adele's latest hit "Hello" where she sings about the very same concept in another of her masterpieces...
George

Quote from: flatlander on February 23, 2017, 10:42:27 PM
Don't tell me that! I just got blasted last weekend for singing a song I wrote about ex-girlfriend who was in the audience. "If it weren't for Love" (she wouldn't hate me so much) Self indulgent and narcissistic were just 2 of the words she used!  

A song that comes from your heart and reflects a feeling you want to express after a personal experience will appeal to everyone else but her.  I wouldn't let her reaction to it discourage you from performing it.  She'll get over it.

Somehow this thread got steered in a new direction, but oh well.

Okay, Kevin, since we're in the Technical Discussion forum... has that beautiful old guitar had a neck reset (as far as you know)?

Just curious, as I recently bought a '79 L-19 which is currently with a luthier for a neck reset (and conversion to lefty).

On another technical note, I also love the Martin Monel strings - either the LJ's (sort of a custom light or custom medium, whichever way you role), or the lights or Tony Rice mediums, depending on the guitar.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 26, 2017, 04:37:10 PM

On another technical note, I also love the Martin Monel strings -

:+1:   :bgrin:
George