Godin does it again!

Started by headsup, October 28, 2016, 08:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have 4 telecaster style guitars, 3 of them have the Larrivee name on the headstock, the other one says Fender.

I decided to put the Malibu on the market to finance this Canadian made guitar, that evidently there is only one of.

The dealer in Quebec informed me they buy the "seconds" and the "one off/demo's" the company experiments with before going into production.

The Montreal Premiere is in fact in production and is a lovely guitar. This one is a "supreme" and "limited edition" ( not sure what all that means), other than the block inlays, the stop tail piece, the Seymour Duncan pups, and a flame maple neck as opposed to the standard Mahogany set neck.

Regardless, it's it's a fine sounding and playing guitar, and as far as filling the thin line hollow body electric, made in Canada-it just sings!

It's namesake is my favourite city, where I will be doing a show in a couple weeks.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Gorgeous, I had no idea Godin was building this model.  I own a Godin LGX-SA and it is a fine playing, very well built guitar.  What is the scale length and nut width of the Montreal?
George

Your post makes me wonder that if Larrivee had remained in Canada, what cities would they have named their electrics after?

Dildo, Newfoundland,
Ball's Falls, Ontario.
Punkeydoodles Corners, Ontario. ...
Sober Island, Nova Scotia. ...
Spread Eagle Bay, Newfoundland.

Eh?

Beautiful guitar! Larrivee needs to build something along those lines.

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 28, 2016, 10:16:13 AM

:+1:
George

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 28, 2016, 10:16:13 AM
Yes they should, but no they won't right now.  I'm guessing current economics rules out the production of such a quitar.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 29, 2016, 02:56:40 AM
Yes they should, but no they won't right now.  I'm guessing current economics rules out the production of such a quitar.

I'm thinking, it's not gonna happen. (economics, be damned) the R &D that goes into any new product (lets say the RS4) is huge.
the risk is more huge, then after releasing one of the best electric guitars ever made, Larrivee went to strat and tele clones.

From my vantage point, ( 2 managers of very important music stores (chains) in Canada, as well as a spokesperson at Toronto's infamous Twelfth Fret all said very clearly to me...
When folks are gonna put $1,800-$2,800 on the table for an electric guitar, they want it to say "Gibson" or Fender".

I dare not go into my rant of the stupidity of the sheep, who, for my money don't know much anyways, but simply want some superficial status and to be just like everyone else.

The folks at Larrivee are very smart, and have channeled their resources directly into what THEY do best, and what no-one else is doing.

For those of us lucky souls who have any kind of Larrivee Electrics, WE know how good they are, and that's all that matters.

Does anyone on this forum own a Collings electric? IF larrivee produced a semi acoustic guitar anything close to a Collings,
it would be well over 2-3 K. (and worth every penny).

what, with so many mexican and asian Fenders, Gibson and PRS guitars for under $1,000, it's hardly a market to invest a lot of R & D in to cater to the rich "boutique" players who may, or may not take a chance on an "unknown" name.
Unknown you say? There's a damn good reason JCL has ceased production on electrics.

OK, I have interrupted a very good session with one of my RS4's to say this, I'm going back to play my butt off....
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on October 31, 2016, 10:25:03 PM

I'm thinking, it's not gonna happen. (economics, be damned) the R &D that goes into any new product (lets say the RS4) is huge.
the risk is more huge, then after releasing one of the best electric guitars ever made, Larrivee went to strat and tele clones.

From my vantage point, ( 2 managers of very important music stores (chains) in Canada, as well as a spokesperson at Toronto's infamous Twelfth Fret all said very clearly to me...
When folks are gonna put $1,800-$2,800 on the table for an electric guitar, they want it to say "Gibson" or Fender".

I dare not go into my rant of the stupidity of the sheep, who, for my money don't know much anyways, but simply want some superficial status and to be just like everyone else.

The folks at Larrivee are very smart, and have channeled their resources directly into what THEY do best, and what no-one else is doing.

For those of us lucky souls who have any kind of Larrivee Electrics, WE know how good they are, and that's all that matters.

Does anyone on this forum own a Collings electric? IF larrivee produced a semi acoustic guitar anything close to a Collings,
it would be well over 2-3 K. (and worth every penny).

what, with so many mexican and asian Fenders, Gibson and PRS guitars for under $1,000, it's hardly a market to invest a lot of R & D in to cater to the rich "boutique" players who may, or may not take a chance on an "unknown" name.
Unknown you say? There's a damn good reason JCL has ceased production on electrics.

OK, I have interrupted a very good session with one of my RS4's to say this, I'm going back to play my butt off....

Amen brother.

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 31, 2016, 11:03:31 PM
Amen brother.

I would add that the Larrivée team/family have a lot to do keeping up with the demands on them as it is now.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on November 01, 2016, 12:31:01 AM
I would add that the Larrivée team/family have a lot to do keeping up with the demands on them as it is now.

Yes and trying to compete with every new kid on the block is futile.  Especially for a company such as Larrivee.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 01, 2016, 01:21:04 AM
Yes and trying to compete with every new kid on the block is futile.  Especially for a company such as Larrivee.
How about every kid...... as Godin been around awhile  :winkin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 31, 2016, 11:03:31 PM
Amen brother.

Yes, well said, Kevin. Many of us around here were sorry to see production of the RS-4 and RS-2 cease - and I really wanted one of the first generation "Strat-style" guitars (with the more pointy horns) - just didn't get around to it quick enough!

I will say, that Godin looks like a very  :nice guitar:

I hope they don't make a lefty version, because it would very tempting (see my thread on trying to sell and downsize... LOL).  :whistling:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 01, 2016, 09:45:37 AM
Yes, well said, Kevin. Many of us around here were sorry to see production of the RS-4 and RS-2 cease - and I really wanted one of the first generation "Strat-style" guitars (with the more pointy horns) - just didn't get around to it quick enough!

I will say, that Godin looks like a very  :nice guitar:

I hope they don't make a lefty version, because it would very tempting (see my thread on trying to sell and downsize... LOL).  :whistling:

The Godin folks do ok with the build  stuff.
I have had several, and still have a few, my consistent complaint with them ( and i have voice it to my dealer and to the company, is:\
they usually install real crappy asian tuners and pick-ups, I find this inexcusable.
With this guitar in articular, and a reason why i bought it, was the pair of Seymour Duncan pups that they used.
within owning the guitar less than 24 hours, had the tuners off, and in the garbage, and replaced them with a set of nice ones I had in stock.

this is the kind of stiff that makes me crazy , and of course being SO SPOILED by the Larrivee folks......
Like over 50?

Well, Godin, like most production guitars, are built to a price point, and crappy tuners (pickups, hardware, etc.) are evidence of this...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: headsup on November 02, 2016, 07:12:51 PM

The Godin folks do ok with the build  stuff.
I have had several, and still have a few, my consistent complaint with them ( and i have voice it to my dealer and to the company, is:\
they usually install real crappy asian tuners and pick-ups, I find this inexcusable.
With this guitar in articular, and a reason why i bought it, was the pair of Seymour Duncan pups that they used.
within owning the guitar less than 24 hours, had the tuners off, and in the garbage, and replaced them with a set of nice ones I had in stock.

this is the kind of stiff that makes me crazy , and of course being SO SPOILED by the Larrivee folks......

Kevin, what is the lower bout width on this guitar?  (I since found out it is 14 7/8" so it is wider than a PRS HBII.)  I found a Limited Edition like it in CAN but with a trapeze style tailpiece mahogany neck not maple... , but does have the block inlays and the SD pickups.  Do you think these guitars are made of solid wood?
George

Quote from: georbro3 on November 04, 2016, 03:04:28 PM
Kevin, what is the lower bout width on this guitar?  (I since found out it is 14 7/8" so it is wider than a PRS HBII.)  I found a Limited Edition like it in CAN but with a trapeze style tailpiece mahogany neck not maple... , but does have the block inlays and the SD pickups.  Do you think these guitars are made of solid wood?

Absolutely not, matters not considering all those old Gibson arch tops weren't either.
the SD pups are terrific, and well matched, I'm not a fan of the trapeze bridge, which is why I liked the stopped tail piece, but, I am seriously considering adding a bigsby.
Honestly, the price point of these very well made guitars and the fact they are made in my own country makes it easy to play them.
just be wary of the not so great tuners.....
Like over 50?

the reason I asked is that the Collings aren't either and cost a great deal more.  I am not a big fan of Taylor, but I do own a T5 and would consider a T3 without the Bigsby.  I don't like the way they wire them so I would replace the pickups and the controls.  I really don't need another guitar, but this Godin is a fairly good one after upgrades, I have the same pups in my LGXSA with AAA maple top.  Fine playing guitar...
George

here's a bit more of an update on this guitar.

I added the Bigsby, swapped out the tuner's (junk), and the pups are decent, (Seymour Duncan).
They're not great, a bit bit bright (as the research indicated they would be).

When I dismantled the guitar to install the Bigsby, I was dismayed (but not surprised) to find the tail piece and bridge were plastic, components made to look like metal.

As I was going to order a roller bridge, that was an easy choice.

I also have a set of ML Gen 3 pick ups I think I will install on this guitar.
those, with some upgraded caps and pots will probably be as close as I can or will ever get to a Larrivee electric of my dreams..

begs the slogan   "Build it, and they will come".

I'll keep you all posted on this project as I continue to do the upgrades...

here's how it looks today.
And the Bigsby, with the extra metal has CERTAINLY given the guitar a good deal more punch and sustain.

Again, I buy guitars made in my country, but I also complain to them and their sales people as to their "hardware" choices ( and reasoning).
Like over 50?