Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Humidity reminder  (Read 1673 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »

We just had our first sub 40 degree night...  and I got my first static shock since last winter this morning.  I know most of you are on top of it, but a reminder can't hurt.

Ed
ZachStevenson

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:52:06 PM »

Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »

+1

I have several humidity gauges throughtout the house and it has been in the mid 40%....  

Been keeping them cased and humidified....    
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 03:42:35 PM »

What is humidity?
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »

What is humidity?

Humidity is simply how much water vapor there is in the air expressed as a percentage (think moisture content).   That is not the same as "relative humidity" which is what we are really concerned about when it comes to guitars.

Relative Humidity (RH) is the amount of moisture (expressed as a percentage) currently held in an air mass at a given temperature compared to how much moisture that same air mass could hold before becoming completely saturated at the same temperature.  For a given amount of moisture in the air, the RH becomes higher as the temperature decreases and conversely becomes lower as the temperature increases.  The amount of water vapor in the air doesn't change but the relative humidity does change with temperature. 

The temperature that an air mass at a given starting temperature with a given moisture content would have to cool down to in order to start precipitating (raining) is called the Dew Point.  The greater the difference between the current temperature and the dew point temperature, the drier the air is. 

An air space with a low relative humidity tends to want to draw moisture from objects within that space (like grass in your lawn or guitar tops).  An air space with a high RH wants to release moisture to objects within that space and those objects will tend to absorb that moisture more readily.  Thin objects (like grass or guitar woods) are more prone to responding to these moisture fluctuations more quickly than thick materials such as a 4X4 fence post.

For guitar storage, a suitable RH is 40% to 50% relative to a room temperature of around 70 degrees F (20 C).

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 05:05:05 AM »

Humidity is simply how much water vapor there is in the air expressed as a percentage (think moisture content).   That is not the same as "relative humidity" which is what we are really concerned about when it comes to guitars.

Walkerman was making a joke. 

Some of us live places where "humid" means the RH actually hit double digits.   My Hygrometer in the house is currently reading 29%, which is the highest I have seen in about 9 months. 

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:14:21 AM »

Walkerman was making a joke.  

Some of us live places where "humid" means the RH actually hit double digits.   My Hygrometer in the house is currently reading 29%, which is the highest I have seen in about 9 months.  

So I guess it's pretty dry there then, huh?  Glad you know how to measure it and deal with it.

I wasn't sure if Steve was making a joke or not, but I would have responded the same way one way or another.  I don't know what relevance that has anyways.  So realizing it was a joke I should respond in a joking way, and falsely assuming it was not a joke, I should respond in a different way?  All I was trying to do was to provide some elementary knowledge on relative humidity.  I happen to know a lot about such basic things as relative humidity from my 35-year career as a forest officer.  What harm can I do by assuming Steve's question was legitimate and trying my best to answer it?

divertis

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »

There is no harm in sharing interesting things over again, I am interested in understanding humidity in relation with guitars care, and how the wood in a guitar is affected by it.  Better to prevent rather than cure something. +1
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:16:14 AM »

There is no harm in sharing interesting things over again, I am interested in understanding humidity in relation with guitars care, and how the wood in a guitar is affected by it.  Better to prevent rather than cure something. +1

Thanks.  Human nature being what it is, people would rather ask a question again than bother to go through archives to find the answer.  That said, I over-reacted to AZLiberty's post and my reply was mean-spirited.  For that, I apologize.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 06:40:16 PM »

One of the reasons the yoga of wood masters relocated larrivee to Oxnard is that his wood supply is stored on the shop floor .....
Perfect weather.  As a matter of fact, high end houses do not even come with air conditioning.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »

So I guess it's pretty dry there then, huh?

Phoenix, not as bad as Albuquerque but yeah, 7% is not uncommon, and when you run your A/C it gets drier yet.

However,  it rained cats and dogs yesterday. (probably because the Cubs won). My wall hygrometer reads 44%.
I can't recall it reading that high ever.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »

Perfect weather.  As a matter of fact, high end houses do not even come with air conditioning.
Really Steve, you guys don't have air conditioning there?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 03:00:52 AM »

Biggest guitar compliment I ever got was when I took one of mine in for a fret dress and my tech said "You definitely don't have a humidity problem". I keep Oases humidifiers in my guitars year round; this is Denver and, although bot quite Albuquerque or Phoenix it IS still dry here.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 03:18:55 AM »

Really Steve, you guys don't have air conditioning there?

Some folks add it on in their later years, but most houses do not come with it.  Ocean breezes and open windows makes for cheap air conditioning.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »

Some folks add it on in their later years, but most houses do not come with it.  Ocean breezes and open windows makes for cheap air conditioning.
Wow that's extraordinary. Most houses built in Nova Scotia now come equipped with Air Conditioning. You truly are live in paradise!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: