Case repair

Started by JohnM2001, October 22, 2016, 10:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was looking for a case for my recently arrived L-01.  The stock Larrivee gigbag was pretty skimpy, and I'd cringe stuffing it with other luggage in the back of a car.  Found this used, unbranded ABS case at a local shop for $49.00.  I've never particularly liked ABS cases, but man, this thing seems bulletproof, with arched top.  Also seems lighter than a stock wooden/tolex Larrivee case, and no worries on gouging the tolex.  Surprisingly, it fits like a glove.  Only issue is, the straps that hold the top propped open have come loose, and easily slide out of the case top, so the case top flops over horizontally.  What's the best fix for that?  I was thinking of positioning the top how I want it, then shooting some hot glue onto the straps, and pushing it back in the slot.  Any other ideas?

D-02E

It doesn't look like it quite fits the L body. More like a standard dread case. Contact Larrivee or dealer about obtaining an L body case?      

I'd give the hot glue a try.  I've used hot glue guns to repair some items that I couldn't other ways.  But hot glue won't be permanent,  you'll need to redo it at times.
    Another glue that I've found many uses for is black CA glue. It has rubber in it and is used for fixing model car tires etc. Find it at a hobby center. It is way tougher than normal super glue and has lots of uses. I got it for repairing guitars, but have found it a very useful product.

:donut :donut2 :coffee
I have older cases for two Larrivees, and the straps are stapled into the case under the padding.
See pic. There is also some glue on there, but that is for the padding.
I'm not going to peel pack the padding in the newer cases, but I would suspect to see the same method.
Also, if the case is not pretty snug on that upper bout, the body can rotate in the case and your tuners will contact the case.
You can stuff some foam rubber around the upper bout and around the headstock before traveling.
Mike
L-05
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 22, 2016, 11:50:06 AM
It doesn't look like it quite fits the L body. More like a standard dread case. Contact Larrivee or dealer about obtaining an L body case?      

Nah, the fit is great, as good as my Larrivee Deluxe case, which my previous L-01 came in, and I kept.  As I understand it, the Larrivee deluxe archtop case is designed for either D or L size.
D-02E

Can you get at it with rivets?  That would be the best way to re-attach the straps if there is room to work them in there.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 22, 2016, 08:21:34 PM
Can you get at it with rivets?  That would be the best way to re-attach the straps if there is room to work them in there.
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Or even like #4 screws.
I was almost gonna say... pop rivets.... until I looked and saw how the straps were stuck on my own cases.
Pop rivets might pretty be the ultimate solution, depending on the strap material (thicker, heavy). And yes, there would be room to shoot them.
Course, a pop rivet kit cost a few minor $$$, so unless you are also maybe replacing a motorcycle seat cover......
I use my pop rivet kit regularly.
My heavy duty stapler also cost some $$$, but comes in more handy more often.
Just MOHO. I would not like a case that just flops open.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Duct tape and bungees until you can get a new case.  :cheers

Honestly I would just cut off the strap.  The strap on my Martin Case was cut off by the previous owner, and I far prefer to have the case lay flat open.

MArk

I'd put some white glue (or yellow wood glue) on it, clamp it with a clothes pin for a day, and get on with it.

Ed

I have two -03 flat top cases that will fit your -01. They came with LV-03 guitars. I don't use them and would like to get rid of one or both as they are just taking up space. Make me a reasonable offer and I will ship one to you. (No Fed-EX). Send me a PM. I also have an OM case, same thing.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Thanks for the offer, but I like this one, very durable.
D-02E

Quote from: AZLiberty on October 23, 2016, 05:48:37 PM
Honestly I would just cut off the strap.  The strap on my Martin Case was cut off by the previous owner, and I far prefer to have the case lay flat open.

MArk
Simplest solution.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud