Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's so hard to sell a guitar these days...  (Read 4199 times)
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 03:27:25 PM »

In general the big brands import but when the guitar isn't a standardmodel, the price is higher.

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 jason lollar 2008
Fender cd100 ce lh
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »

Just don't try to sell unless you need to due to financial hardship.  Or, list what you think is a fair price and creatively market it for the long haul.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »

Just don't try to sell unless you need to due to financial hardship.  Or, list what you think is a fair price and creatively market it for the long haul.

Sometimes I think the bargain basement pricing we are seeing is because folks need the money in this hard times economy?  I am holding out for better days...

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 09:50:58 PM »

Anyone else struggling with this?

Yes, it's been a serious "buyers market" for 8 years now.  People don't just want a "deal" they want fire-sale pricing.

Also it seems that anything other than a Martin or Taylor takes forever to move.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »

Steve, I would add when the elections are over to your list of probabilities...

Depends on which way the election goes.
baillieul

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »

Yes, it's been a serious "buyers market" for 8 years now.  People don't just want a "deal" they want fire-sale pricing.

Also it seems that anything other than a Martin or Taylor takes forever to move.

Pretty much my experience as well. I buy and sell the odd used guitar from time to time. Bought and sold a Taylor GS Mini and a Martin 000-16gt over the summer. Both moved pretty quick and sold for good prices.

Even excellent Godin and Larrivee products have to be priced well and can sit for some time.

I think used prices in Canada have actually risen a bit lately for US built products as our fallen dollar has effectively caused new prices to increase by 30%.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 12:50:20 AM »

I buy and sell every few months and I've had no trouble selling used guitars for more than what I paid. But, I'm definitely going to be playing it safer now and only picking up real steals because the market is in bad shape right now.  I'm even at the limit of how many steals I can pick up because I'm out of room to store them.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:23:04 AM »

Yesterday, I bought a near mint sunburst Fender Standard HSS Strat with a coil-tap switch (MIM) complete with a Fender hard case and a 15-watt Peavey Rage 158 amp.  All for the asking price of $300.00 CAD.  All it needs is a good setup which it obviously has never had done.  The young fellow I bought it from got it as a gift from his dad, but never really played or learned to play it, apparently.  These are usually the best deals.

Once I've set it up I'll either give it to my granddaughter as an upgrade to her Squire Strat or re-sell just the guitar for at least as much as I paid; and keep the case and amp.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 04:28:27 AM »

Steve, I would add when the elections are over to your list of probabilities...

Nah, as soon as the election is over everyone's free money will be used for more guns, ammo, and reloading supplies.

The economy is, "not great" might be the best way to put it.  The official unemployment rate is at 5% (which is historically quite good) but that is the so-called U3 rate.

The U6 rate is around 10%, and that still only counts some, but not all part time employees who want full time work.

Also, psychologically, people are wary of spending money on non-necessities, as they still are gun-shy from all the lay-offs a few years back.   I have employees who constantly are worried about future business even though the GM just bought a brand new Tesla and we just got a 220 million dollar 4-year factory order.

So yeah, used prices are in the toilet. Like I said earlier in the thread people don't just want a deal, but they want fire-sale pricing.

At a certain point, if I can't sell something for at least a nominal value I'll give it away to a friend.

12-string pricing is even worse.  I still have that D-03R-12 for sale if someone wants to give me an obscenely lowball offer I can laugh at.  

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »

At a certain point, if I can't sell something for at least a nominal value I'll give it away to a friend.

That too is what I do.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
morrow22

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »

I am having the same struggles.  Trying to simplify also- hoping to get down to 2.  I am doing like many have suggested, just going to wait until either the right person comes or the market improves.  I hate to see it when a guitar sales for an extremely Low price, which brings the market down.   But I will have to say, if I have to have a problem...... too many guitars is not a bad one to have 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »

But I will have to say, if I have to have a problem...... too many guitars is not a bad one to have 

This is true - and does put a lot of things into perspective. And the reason I (and perhaps others around here) have too many guitars is because there were some good years when we could afford to go a little crazy...

...but I will be listing some in the next week or two, including a couple Larrivees. I must confess I'm still curious about what the 50th Anniversary Larrivee guitar/s will be: I WILL be tempted!  rolleye

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Gordo in OZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »

I am amazed at the price of Larrivees on eBay Japan. Thats where you need to sell. Got any friends who work in the sushi bar?

Guild D55 (1974)
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition
Larrivee L05 (1996) Mahogany and cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015)
Marshall AC50D
Loads of old concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and auto harps.
nctom

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »

I'm not so sure the economy's to blame, or the election, etc. I think the problem is that there are too many guitars, both new and used,for the shrinking number of buyers. Think of all of us aging players that own five or ten or however many, then think of how many new players that are coming along. There are thousands of new guitars being built every day from inexpensive foreign models to very dear luthier guitars going unsold.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »

I'm not so sure the economy's to blame, or the election, etc. I think the problem is that there are too many guitars, both new and used,for the shrinking number of buyers. Think of all of us aging players that own five or ten or however many, then think of how many new players that are coming along. There are thousands of new guitars being built every day from inexpensive foreign models to very dear luthier guitars going unsold.
A lot of merit to this position IMHO

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »

A lot of merit to this position IMHO

Indeed.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 01:03:15 AM »

But I will have to say, if I have to have a problem...... too many guitars is not a bad one to have 

Makes creative storage very useful.  I picked up these ideas from the Larrivee factory, not exactly the same shelving, but exactly the same concept...

George
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2016, 01:13:48 AM »

Makes creative storage very useful.  I picked up these ideas from the Larrivee factory, not exactly the same shelving, but exactly the same concept...
hmmm

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »

Geo...
I can help store all the L-bodies if you run out of room, free of charge.
Mike
L-05
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2016, 03:33:23 AM »

As a rule, I buy guitars to play them, i don't have any other play toys (motor cycles, snow mobiles, fancy cars, etc.
I'm a professional musician who likes guitars, and I like to play them.
 I doubt i would ever get close to what I pay for them, (except on a rare super deal), but I also have a couple on the market.
Only because if I don't play a particular guitar regularly, or I can't "bond" with it ( for a myriad of reasons) I'll part with it.

Yes "breaking even" is certainly a good bottom line, but having some-one else who wants to own/play something I can't is a good enough reason to let it go.
 I recall my very first larrivee from 1972, and after owning it a very short time, an amazing player just made it sing, so he has it now (still).

Any, and all of us, who have more than one guitar, and can usually
 decide which one to play in the house, on a sessions, on a gig is truly blessed with a very high quality of life, indeed.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: