Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you keep your Larry?  (Read 2242 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »

Every situation is different.  If you have kids or indoors pets, or friends that tend to pick up any available guitar and begin banging on it, keep them in the cases.  If you would freak out if one night ,  while "sleepy walking" through your house, you knocked iyour best guitar off the stand and scratched or damaged it, then case them.  In my situation, I case my Larrys and have never had cause to regret it.  Do I play them any less because they are cased safely in my library .... I seriously doubt it.  Has this avoided all scratches .... of course not.  Do I have peace of mind?  Absolutely.
OTOH, if you think Trigger is the nicest looking guitar around ... leave 'em out.
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 01:40:17 AM »

So why does Larrivee actually recommend keeping the guitar outside of the case ?
Is keeping it outside just better if you don't have any humidity control and regulation in the case ?

So you'll be tempted to pick it up and play it more often?

So visitors will see you have a guitar that isn't a Taylor?  whistling
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »

Every situation is different.

Keeping the guitar in a hard case simply slows down it's reaction to temp. and RH fluctuations in the environment around it.  It will still dry out (or swell up) if not properly humidified.  It will just take a little longer.  If you are using individual sound-hole humidifiers for each guitar, then keeping them in the case will give you a longer time before you have to replenish them.  If you have a humidity controlled room, like I have, then it doesn't really matter if they are in a case or on a stand since all will eventually reach an equilibrium in that space.

I would not hang any guitar on an outside wall in any situation.

Hope this helps.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Gordo in OZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »

I used to live in tropical Northern Australia. Now I live in South East Australia. The rule is the same. In the rain, guitar is stored in an open case. In the dry guitar is in a closed case. In every climate keep as cool as you can. Adjust as required for your internal heating and cooling modifications but letting guitars soak up a bit of air moisture is a good idea.

Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 Flame Maple Special Edition. Cedar top (2003)
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Mahogany and cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Loads of old concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and auto harps.
JakeStone

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »

Mine is out on a stand mostly... Haven't had in during winter yet. But in winter I normally keep my guitars cased. Except when playing them of course.

Jake Stone | NC

2016 Larrivee OM-40M

https://soundcloud.com/midnight_rider_music
robv

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:35 PM »

Keep my L05 on the wall. Used to keep it on a floor stand many years ago, when kids came along guitars either went up or in their cases. I find it handy and safe on the wall I have a humidity meter to monitor during the winter months and store in the case if it gets too dry.

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: