Where do you keep your Larry?

Started by Rdodger300, October 09, 2016, 08:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been keeping my d-02 in its case and was just wondering if that is whats best for it.where do you guys keep your guitars between playing sessions? Is it safe to put it on the wall with all my others, my house is climate controlled so i don't think humidity or dryness is an issue.
Please lemme know what you guys think.
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2007 Gibson les Paul Custom
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

If you have the temp and humidity under control....   hang it on the wall.....

Mine only go in the cases if the humidity gets close to 60%  or  down to 45%.....   

Enjoy her....    :guitar

I certainly agree with Bob about temperature and humidity, and I like to keep a couple out hanging on the wall (the rest live safely stored in their cases).  Otherwise, evaluate what the potential for damage might be from animals, children, other folks, accidental events, etc......
George

Don't hang your guitars on exterior walls! Mine hang on walls high up out of harms way year 'round.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Why not exterior walls? 
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Quote from: Rdodger300 on October 09, 2016, 12:02:51 PM
Why not exterior walls? 

I assume you mean Larrivee.  I don't own any Larry's, though I have a couple friends with that name.  (Sorry, pet peeve, ignore it...   :humour:)

Outside walls are more susceptible to temperature and humidity extremes.  How important that is depends on your location, how old your house is, and how it was built.

Ed

Quote from: Rdodger300 on October 09, 2016, 12:02:51 PM
Why not exterior walls? 

Especially in winter. Temperature variation will draw moisture into the wood, and the back will swell , pitching the neck forward. Think about it. In winter the exterior wall is cool and may even become moldy if there is not enough air circulating.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Yes, even if you are humidifying and seemingly have that under control, hanging a guitar on an outside wall can lead to crackage. Believe it cause it happened to me.   :crying:

I keep both larrivees in their cases when not being played.
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

I keep smaller mandolin, ukulele, dulcimer, banjo cases nested inside my guitar cases so that all my stringed instruments are hanging on the wall for ease of use. I'm sure I would not play nearly as much if I had to pull them from a case each time. I play at a whim and it's always interesting to see which instrument a friend will pick out to play. Looks better than any art work I could find to Hang. 

Thanx for all the great tips and info, the reason I posted the question is that I normally keep Larry in the case but yesterday I read on the larrivee care and maintenance page that a stand of some sort would be best to allow air to move around the instrument (assuming humidity and temp is under control). The wall I have guitars hanging on is in fact an exterior wall so I guess Larry stays in the case for now until I move all the hangers. House is only a year old and climate controlled but I'd rather be safe than sorry even with my less than larrivee guitars.  :thumb
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

I only keep the cheap ones on the walls. Cases for my good guitars.  Not only does the case mitigate aging from light and open air, it deters theft, keeps out side, protects against accidents like objects, leaky roof, AC breaking, etc.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

In the past I had guitars on the walls of almost every room in the house.  But I also had five hygrometers in all the areas as well.
   Now most are in cases,  but I have one Larrivee out all the time,  as well as a few other guitars.  But I  still monitor the humidity and I'm ready to break out the whole house humidifier  when it is needed.

I keep my Larry chained up in the shed and feed every once in a while. :winkin:

My Larrivee I keep in its case until needed.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Danny on October 10, 2016, 02:39:55 PM
In the past I had guitars on the walls of almost every room in the house.  But I also had five hygrometers in all the areas as well.
   Now most are in cases,  but I have one Larrivee out all the time,  as well as a few other guitars.  But I  still monitor the humidity and I'm ready to break out the whole house humidifier  when it is needed.

Danny, I kept the humidity at around 45% and temperature at around 20 degrees C and still had a guitar crack when hung on an outside wall. Of course, that was in NW Ontario where minus 30 is not unusual. I'd probably feel safer here in Wisconsin but I'd still avoid it. 

Quote from: unclrob on October 10, 2016, 03:54:53 PM
I keep my Larry chained up in the shed and feed every once in a while. :winkin:

My Larrivee I keep in its case until needed.

:roll

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 10, 2016, 05:06:38 PM
Danny, I kept the humidity at around 45% and temperature at around 20 degrees C and still had a guitar crack when hung on an outside wall. Of course, that was in NW Ontario where minus 30 is not unusual. I'd probably feel safer here in Wisconsin but I'd still avoid it.  
Here in central Texas it's rare to have low humidity.  Except of course in very cold weather,  but I case them up then, and keep the humidifier running.  Never had one crack yet from weather.
   I have cracked a few while working on them however.

On stands, where they're easy to pick up and play.

I try to watch humidity, do my best to avoid rapid changes in temperature, close the curtains when the afternoon sun comes around.

Touch wood - of various sorts - cases are for moving.

I keep mine on stands in a humidity controlled space and at least 3 feet from outside walls.  Where I live, in central Alberta, once the furnace is needed, I turn on my room humidifier.  This is usually around mid October. I am able to keep the humidity between 40% and 50% for the winter.  From about Easter to (Canadian) Thanksgiving, I turn off the humidifier and the guitars do just fine in my guitar room which is in the basement of my house.  I had to start my room humidifier a couple of days ago.

My guitars usually only go in cases when I'm taking them somewhere.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

So why does Larrivee actually recommend keeping the guitar outside of the case ?
Is keeping it outside just better if you don't have any humidity control and regulation in the case ?