Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: old Yamaha campfire guitar?  (Read 871 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:59:41 PM »

A friend handed this guitar to me this morning, it needs some work, cosmetically, but structurally it's solid and sounds very good.
He's had it for many years, says it's a 1969 and is BZ rosewood.
I'm not sure, this point if it's mine or his, he just handed it to me and said "here take this will ya".
 so I did.

anybody know anything about this guitars? FG300 Yamaha.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »

A friend handed this guitar to me this morning, it needs some work, cosmetically, but structurally it's solid and sounds very good.
He's had it for many years, says it's a 1969 and is BZ rosewood.
I'm not sure, this point if it's mine or his, he just handed it to me and said "here take this will ya".
 so I did.
anybody know anything about this guitars? FG300 Yamaha.

That was the guitar I wanted to buy when Yamaha first showed up in our local guitar store in Downers Grove Illinois when I was in high school. It was the best Yamaha they had. On one hand it was really fancy, on the other, it was less costly than a Gibson, which it resembled. Still cost a LOT more money than I had, so I got a simpler model, which still was the best acoustic I had till I got my first Martin. I "think" it was around 300 dollars. A D28 cost about 450 then.
It is a 100% laminate body if I recall. Old Japan production had red labels, the FG300 had a saddle full of screws and cool Gibson kinda pick guard. That's why I remember it. They are probably rare, as Yamaha did not sell lots of guitars early on in the US. 1969 may have been the first year.
You are lucky to get it, if your friend intended that.
Mike
L-05
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »

according to books on ole MIJ guitars I got in Japan, Yamaha among them,  the first two FGs were greenish/beige labels...the 150 and 180 in 1967 and my guess is they were domestic models.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »

Nice one! My old red tag Yamaha FG -180 is my favorite guitar whenever I play it. :)  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: