Anyone build a uke?

Started by StringPicker6, August 24, 2022, 02:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I saw an ad pop up on my computer from Stew Mac advertising some fun ukelele build kits. Has anyone here ever built a ukelele? It looks fun but I have zero tools or experience.  Is this too ambitious a goal for a complete novice?  Kits are around $90 and up, depending on size. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on August 24, 2022, 02:14:57 PM
I saw an ad pop up on my computer from Stew Mac advertising some fun ukelele build kits. Has anyone here ever built a ukelele? It looks fun but I have zero tools or experience.  Is this too ambitious a goal for a complete novice?  Kits are around $90 and up, depending on size. 
Never did anything like that, but I went and looked at the kits and downloaded the instructions and read them.
You will need a few tools and clamps, but the neck is already cut for the frets.
I do not think it is too ambitious, you can write "Zen and the art of Uke kit building" during the process.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

With "zero tools", it'll be a challenge.  Or, you'll spend at least as much (or twice as much) on some tools as you do on the kit.  Doing the frets will be a real challenge.

If you do it like they say in their instructions, you have a good chance of ending up with a nice uke.

Ed

Quote from: eded on August 24, 2022, 02:44:13 PM
With "zero tools", it'll be a challenge.  Or, you'll spend at least as much (or twice as much) on some tools as you do on the kit.  Doing the frets will be a real challenge.
If you do it like they say in their instructions, you have a good chance of ending up with a nice uke.
Ed
I guess maybe it depends on if you want a uke, have you played any?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on August 24, 2022, 09:09:34 PM
I guess maybe it depends on if you want a uke, have you played any?
Mike

I have 2 sopranos, one concert, a baritone, and a 1920's Banjolele and a cigar box one that I built.  My initiation to string instruments was my dad teaching me ukulele to play along with his piano when I was 8 or so.  That uke stuff brought me into the guitar world when I got a Harmony archtop tenor.

My point (if I have one) is...  if having a uke is the goal, buying one would be an easier option.  If building an instrument and pride in accomplishment is the goal, building one would be a great option.

Just an opinion.

Ed

Thanks for everyone's advice.  Just that fact that clamps and tools will double the price of the kit, I'm going to pass on this idea.  I had a ukulele once, and while it sounded cute, it wasn't something I was ready to spend a lot of time playing.  Plus, the grass skirt made my butt look big.    :roll
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09