Tuning the g octave string

Started by Walkerman, September 29, 2016, 10:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I seem to break a lot ot the g octave strings when tuning a 12er.  As a matter of fact, sometimes I get frustrated, and do not tune it an octave higher.  What do you all do.

Were is it breaking?What strings and gauge are you using?I use Elixer 10 to 47,the octive is a .009 which I change out to a .010.I try to get no more then 4 wraps on the post with the string winding going bottom to top.I bring it to a close point with my string winder then tune by hand.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 29, 2016, 10:48:38 PM
Were is it breaking?What strings and gauge are you using?I use Elixer 10 to 47,the octive is a .009 which I change out to a .010.I try to get no more then 4 wraps on the post with the string winding going bottom to top.I bring it to a close point with my string winder then tune by hand.

Rob .... I am not that technical.  I use d'adderio phbronze lights.  The g octave strings just snaps.  Do you think there is sharpness on the saddle?

Could be feel the saddle does it have any groove in it.Are you sure that the string is seated right under the bridge pin,sometimes the winding's catch on the bridge plate.If it helps buzz me tomorrow and we can go over it together.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Maybe that's why Kottke uses heavy ga. and tunes down 1-1/2 steps (c#). I'm still toying with the idea of getting a 12-string.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: Walkerman on September 29, 2016, 10:51:34 PM
Rob .... I am not that technical.  I use d'adderio phbronze lights.  The g octave strings just snaps.  Do you think there is sharpness on the saddle?

More likely the nut.  Take some cotton fibers (q-tip, cotton ball) and make sure there is no burr in the slot.  Some folks will rub a little graphite in the nut slot to add some lubricity as well.

Walkerman hasn't yet stated where the G strings are breaking.  That would be the first clue on how to fix it, no?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 03, 2016, 02:22:11 AMWalkerman hasn't yet stated where the G strings are breaking.  That would be the first clue on how to fix it, no?

:+1:

For a while I used to just double the g at the "low" octave - but that high octave is a big part of the twelve string sound. I did have problems with the high G breaking at the nut on one 12, but a little light filing fixed that.

Didn't know Kotke used heavier gauges and tuned down that much - thanks ffinke!

That octave G is the skinniest of all the strings on a 12er and the most prone to breaking.  I've broken more than one simply by turning the wrong tuning peg.   :blush:

I'm beginning to think I am being ignored by Steve (Walkerman) as I get the impression he didn't see my last post??

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 10, 2016, 09:57:54 PM
That octave G is the skinniest of all the strings on a 12er and the most prone to breaking.  I've broken more than one simply by turning the wrong tuning peg.   :blush:

I'm beginning to think I am being ignored by Steve (Walkerman) as I get the impression he didn't see my last post??

Well, I am not ignoring .... I have never noticed "where" they break.  I was going to pay attention next time I change strings.  Sorry.

I had this issue with my 12.  there was a burr that needed filing where the string attaches to the peg.  I have since had the Gs twinned as now they are both wound which I much prefer.
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Yeah, I just thought that would help in diagnosing the problem.
Cheers

Quote from: Walkerman on September 29, 2016, 10:34:32 PM
I seem to break a lot ot the g octave strings when tuning a 12er.  As a matter of fact, sometimes I get frustrated, and do not tune it an octave higher.  What do you all do.

I tune my 12 string a whole tone low and use a capo. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 14, 2016, 05:02:40 PM
I tune my 12 string a whole tone low and use a capo. 

Seems like a lot of folks do that ... but should you have to?

You need to look at where it breaks and that will indicate why it breaks and will let the forum suggest a fix. I had a 12 string for about 35 years and never broke any string.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

Quote from: Walkerman on October 30, 2016, 10:50:09 AM

I just have a cheap Washburn and it doesn't break strings at pitch but I tune it down anyway. I don't play up the neck much on a 12 string so it works for me to do that and use a capo. You should probably bring it in since you live in Oxnard and are friends of the family, have someone set it up better.     

Quote from: Walkerman on September 29, 2016, 10:34:32 PM

May I ask how many wraps on the post there are? The more wraps on the post, the less tension at the sharp bend where the string enters the post, is the theory. 
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Walkerman on October 30, 2016, 10:50:09 AM

you certainly shouldn't have to tune a modern 12 string down - they should be built to be played "at pitch", though some manufacturers will strongly advise only using light or extra-light strings

I have always tuned my 12 strings to pitch,Fender/Harmony dread 12,Martin D12-20,Guild JF30/12,L09Koa 12,OM03 12,Seagul D12.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on October 30, 2016, 08:05:06 PM
I have always tuned my 12 strings to pitch

me too - but I have also met a lot of "old" 12 strings that were unplayable at pitch.

Maybe they were never set up right, or were tunded high and neglected: a lot of people acquire 12 strings but don't wind up playing them much - maybe they all get put away at the time of year when humidity shifts increase tension and by the time they get hauled out of their cases again they need so much work it's just easier to tune them down?