Polishing out satin to semi gloss....

Started by fitness1, September 28, 2016, 08:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I did this back in the day when the "Orsino" method was in vogue and nobody realized Scratch-X had silicone in it - it worked great, of course, but we won't be doing that now!!
So, what is the "flavor of the month" for compounds to polish out after the 0000 steel wool?   I have Meguiars Deep Crystal polish #2 that I've been using to buff out scratches in gloss finish, but the bottle is getting low and wondering if there's something out there now that is preferred.   I have an L-03 Blackwood coming today that may get the treatment.....looks like there's some nice flame hiding under there :thumb

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Use automotive wet/dry sandpaper with the appropriate blocks. Far more efficient than any of the other methods and cuts a more even surface as well.  You can get it as glossy as you want. Finish with a polish. I found Meguiar's Plastic X to actually be the best for getting gloss on a Larrivee UV cured finish.
I know I've gone into detail about the process on here a few times so searching the forum should provide more details if you're interested.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I have been using Virtuoso cleaner and polish for the last couple of guitars. I prefer to polish to a soft gloss that enhances the grain and color rather than a high gloss. Just apply a couple of coats each with soft cloth and it's done. No silicone that I'm aware of, but it seems that there is always something hiding in the fine print.

Quote from: nctom on September 28, 2016, 12:07:57 PM
I have been using Virtuoso cleaner and polish for the last couple of guitars. I prefer to polish to a soft gloss that enhances the grain and color rather than a high gloss. Just apply a couple of coats each with soft cloth and it's done. No silicone that I'm aware of, but it seems that there is always something hiding in the fine print.
He's speaking of polishing a satin finish to a gloss,  not actual cleaning. When one cuts through the surface texture on a Larrivee 03 model,  they can have a deep, glossy shine.

Thanks for the tips - I found a lot more flame than I was expecting.  I actually just did a quick run over with 0000 wool to get some of the "swoosh" out and it looks like this already!  
Unfortunately this one has major issues with unseated frets and is going to have to go back (the store said their tech would fix it and send it back)  Not sure if I should trust their "tech" or not..... :?   I'd rather have my guy at Elderly do it!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

That back and (especially) side wood is gorgeous!  Absolute shame to have it hiding under stain fog.  There's nothing like a shiny, stripey side wood.
I hope the fret situation gets sorted out quick.

another run of 0000 and about 40 minutes of aerobic polishing this morning and there's quite a difference already.....just used what I had here for now.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

You got yourself a nice set of wood there. Congrats! Very beautiful.

I would second taking the guitar to a trusted luthier for the fret fix. You want that job done right.  :thumbsup

This one looks like a Keeper Todd! (when you get the frets fixed)  Looks almost like flamed koa...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on September 30, 2016, 09:44:40 AM
This one looks like a Keeper Todd!
LOL If Todd kept all the keepers that passed through his hands - I think he would need a stadium sized storage facility!  :smile: 
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 30, 2016, 10:03:37 AM
LOL If Todd kept all the keepers that passed through his hands - I think he would need a stadium sized storage facility!  :smile: 

The windds of GAS blow in mysterious ways.  :wink:

Quote from: strangeman on September 30, 2016, 10:12:01 AM
The windds of GAS blow in mysterious ways.  :wink:

Isn't that the truth - I dropped it at Elderly today - so it should be "right" soon. Also buffed out the sides some before I took it in.   
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: georbro3 on September 30, 2016, 09:44:40 AM
This one looks like a Keeper Todd! (when you get the frets fixed)  Looks almost like flamed koa...

:roll I give it 2 months... TOPS!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on September 30, 2016, 10:32:31 PM
:roll I give it 2 months... TOPS!

That long??? :ohmy:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

picked this up from Elderly today - did some polishing of the top and tweaked the action at the nut a bit.    Have a bone saddle coming and I'll probably "port" it this weekend.  Going to get this one good and "hopped up".   Sounds fantastic right now, but by the time I'm done it's going to be a Hot Rod!! :guitar
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Make us one of your recordings when you are done.  Maybe we can convince you it is a keeper...  I know if it was mine...  Just Sayin'...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on October 06, 2016, 06:57:20 PM
Make us one of your recordings when you are done.  Maybe we can convince you it is a keeper...  I know if it was mine...  Just Sayin'...

Will do - just got to get the setup tweaked with the new saddle (probably over the weekend.)
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Ported and a little more polishing - VERY happy with the results on this one.  I slowly widened the ports until I thought it was about as good as it could get.   As I've done more of these, I'm surprised by how small they can be and have a HUGE effect.   The upper bout port is about 5/8 and the lower bout is 1/2.  Louder, warmer, fatter trebles and more sustain.   I just spent about a half hour A/B ing it with the ports plugged and I just keep shaking my head!!

The back and sides are almost done with the polish - the top still has some to go - just did a couple treatments.   Next string change I'll finish the top and the headstock overlay, fit the bone saddle and get the setup dialed in (it's actually a bit low right now on the treble side and I'm getting some minor dampening)   and then I'll get to putting a song or two up with it.

The perma smile has returned......I love this one!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

:nice guitar: So here I was looking at my 1940s vintage carpenters work bench. I began thinking it was time to get back to repairing, rebuilding and refinishing some of the seven or so guitars I've got waiting in their cases  (or shipping boxes)  for more TLC.
     A lot has transpired this year causing the delay.  But then I check in on the forum,  and here is your beautiful pix of recent mods to a fine guitar.
     I've got to get things set up again,  since my move this summer,  but your post definitely is an inspiration.

I think we, and  others on the forum have a need to make guitars better.  It's like G.A.S. but from another slice of the guitar enthusiast embedded in our make up.

Quote from: Danny on October 08, 2016, 02:35:39 PM

I think we, and  others on the forum have a need to make guitars better.  It's like G.A.S. but from another slice of the guitar enthusiast embedded in our make up.

No doubt about it - I love trying to get as much as I can out of an instrument.  Even the ones that go "down the road" - it makes me feel great when the new owner gets it and gushes over it. :thumb

Now get your tools out and get going :roll :roll
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka