Artist You Got Tired Of For One Reason or Another

Started by ducktrapper, September 28, 2016, 08:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Walkerman on September 30, 2016, 10:04:51 PM
Ringo Starr .....  not a one word name.  That is what I was referring to.
[/quote
Well it's Bono Vox, and The Edge.  Both two word nicknames. Hey, it was a different generation, and if it worked in that generation why mess with success?  Not saying you have to like them, but you asked what was up with their names, both of which are actually two words and over time people got used to calling them a shorter one word version.  Has happened throughout pop music history. Name a decade and there are plenty you can conjure up by just one word or a word and a definite article. The King, Frank, Sammy, Aretha, Smokey, the Boss, etc.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I am very tired of hearing Hotel California on thr radio
as well as crazy on you by heart, among others
Dave

Back in the 80s or maybe 90 a radio station was taken over by rogues in St Pete/Clearwater area. They played led zeppelin 24/7 for weeks. I would tune in from time to time. Haven't listened to zeppelin since.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: DaveyO on October 02, 2016, 08:08:56 PM
I am very tired of hearing Hotel California on thr radio
as well as crazy on you by heart, among others
Dave
Ditto

add "Rocket Man" in as well...
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: rockstar_not on September 30, 2016, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: Walkerman on September 30, 2016, 10:04:51 PM
Ringo Starr .....  not a one word name.  That is what I was referring to.
[/quote
Well it's Bono Vox, and The Edge.  Both two word nicknames. Hey, it was a different generation, and if it worked in that generation why mess with success?  Not saying you have to like them, but you asked what was up with their names, both of which are actually two words and over time people got used to calling them a shorter one word version.  Has happened throughout pop music history. Name a decade and there are plenty you can conjure up by just one word or a word and a definite article. The King, Frank, Sammy, Aretha, Smokey, the Boss, etc.

Seriously, when have you ever heard of him referred to as bono vox?

Quote from: Walkerman on October 03, 2016, 06:21:14 PM
Seriously, when have you ever heard of him referred to as bono vox?

Yes, back in the 80's.  Was a fan before they became huge stars and like others in their teens devoured any bits of info I could find on them.  I'm not expecting you to like them, just pointing out single nicknames came long before them and continues to this day.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: Queequeg on September 30, 2016, 05:40:03 AM
Ever heard of that drummer guy, went by the name of "Ringo"?
:wink:

Sure, the exception that proves the rule. Ringo's cool and they're dicks.   :beer

Whatever anyone thinks of Bono, and I'm not necessarily a fan, his band has made some great music that has meant a lot to a great many people. Would be hard to argue that.

Quote from: Caleb on October 04, 2016, 12:54:55 PM
Whatever anyone thinks of Bono, and I'm not necessarily a fan, his band has made some great music that has meant a lot to a great many people. Would be hard to argue that.
I thought the Joshua Tree album was the best release for a long time. I still like most of the cuts.

Quote from: Danny on October 04, 2016, 05:51:19 PM
I thought the Joshua Tree album was the best release for a long time. I still like most of the cuts.

I now enjoy most of their albums, exception being the Zoo era stuff. Latest album a bit weak as well.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: Danny on October 04, 2016, 05:51:19 PM

I have to agree with that, Joshua Tree and the stuff before it was pretty good but Rattle and Hum, while containing some good tunes, turned me off to them personally and subsequent events have not changed my mind. 

I'll add Elvis Costello, someone whose music I really liked but grew to dislike due to his personality. Most of the artists that have fallen off my play list have managed it through becoming someone I sort of found hard to take anymore. I loved Steve Earle but after seeing him twice in concert grew to dislike the guy. I still like his music but I rarely put it on. Funny how that works. Mostly, I don't need famous rich people to tell me how to think, act, how to vote or what to believe in and then scorn me if I disagree.     

I feel the same about Neil Young.  Still pouting that all his political hippie dreams never came true.  I think he's even written a couple books about it too.  While guys like him and Earle get the faithful all fired up like preaching to the already converted, they manage to alienate a whole segment of would-be listeners.  But when you think your own opinion is that damn important, that's what you do.

Quote from: Caleb on October 05, 2016, 08:36:34 AM
I feel the same about Neil Young.  Still pouting that all his political hippie dreams never came true.  I think he's even written a couple books about it too.  While guys like him and Earle get the faithful all fired up like preaching to the already converted, they manage to alienate a whole segment of would-be listeners.  But when you think your own opinion is that damn important, that's what you do.
Landing on water was just awful. "And the wooden ships, were  just a hippie dream "

Beach Boys.

Funny though, I never seem to tire of Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, George Harrison and some others, especially the "Outlaw" progressive country artists from the 70's.  I take breaks from listening to these artists but always come back...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on October 08, 2016, 08:12:19 AM
Beach Boys.

Funny though, I never seem to tire of Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, George Harrison and some others, especially the "Outlaw" progressive country artists from the 70's.  I take breaks from listening to these artists but always come back...

I love Holland.

Quote from: georbro3 on October 08, 2016, 08:12:19 AM
Beach Boys.

Two that I take breaks from for a few weeks and then come back to are Jackson Browne and The Band.
The Moody Blues / Justin Hayward I need a longer break, but then I like to get into some of the albums I haven't listened to in a long time. Funny though, I enjoy playing Justin Hayward, Jackson Browne and The Band songs about every time I pick up a guitar.

Quote from: Walkerman on September 29, 2016, 08:41:51 AM
Once they copied the Beatles rooftop concert, I lost any interest I may have had in U2.  Besides, what is with this Bone or the Edge name crap.
I'm pretty sure The Beatles copied that rooftop thing from the Jefferson Airplane.  Great video of it on Youtube, complete with Balin being hauled off by police and Grace dancing a really cute little jig barefoot.

I got tired of Nickel Creek eventually, though I still like some of their solo stuff.  Anyone here listen to Mandolin Orange?  Absolutely love their version of Dylan's Boots Of Spanish Leather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHkyZ62jjQ