Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Artist You Got Tired Of For One Reason or Another  (Read 3871 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »

Are there artists that you used to love that you got tired of and don't listen to anymore? Not that they aren't good or stopped making decent music just artists that for some reason don't do it for you anymore and even the old stuff that you love doesn't work for you anymore. For me it's Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. It took me a while to realize it and I was still buying all their music up to Wrecking Ball and Psychedelic Pill but after a listen or two, I never listened to them again. Anyone in a similar boat?
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »

bigrin   Peter Paul and Mary. The Rolling Stones, after Sticky Fingers album.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »

Kottke,P.Lange and the Eagle's.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »

Steely Dan, Tom Petty, Doobie Bros., Fleetwood Mac and Rolling Stones.  Now, these are all fine bands (except for Steely Dan, of course), but the part of their catalogues they play is so small that I just hear the same songs too much.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:11:28 PM »

COLDPLAY,  Jethro Tull,  U-2, Van Halen, the Eagles, The Who, Led Zeppelin

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 11:43:43 PM »

COLDPLAY,  Jethro Tull,  U-2, Van Halen, the Eagles, The Who, Led Zeppelin

I see you have COLDPLAY in all caps. That's one band that I never got at all ... because they totally SUCK.      
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:19:10 AM »

I see you have COLDPLAY in all caps. That's one band that I never got at all ... because they totally SUCK.      

I must be lucky ... I have no idea who Coldplay is nor could I name a single tune of theirs.
nctom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 12:28:47 AM »

I figure ALL bands and performers have about a three album limit before they or we burn out. I think even the good ones have about a five year period where we love them, then sort of like them, then never want to hear them again. In five years or so it all starts over.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 03:59:42 AM »

Abba,  Bee Gees (once they went disco), Ventures, Alabama, Black Sabbath, Whitesake and most "heavy metal" bands.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 04:49:20 AM »

R.E.M. Was a band I did not dig, then liked for a couple albums, then got turned off when they added horns to one of their albums. Now and then I will revisit some of their older stuff. 

Coldplay's Parachutes album was fantastic in my opinion, tweaking some of the sounds I enjoyed in the days of my youth from the 80's. Then I tired of it because I played it too much. Some of the less popular songs on that album are very nice guitar oriented songs. I tired of them also with all of the Coldplay wannabes came along like Mat Kearney and a boatload of other nasally singers. 

As a multi instrumentalist I tend to catch on to bands long after their cool factor was established or has even faded. Only recently have I begun to like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, as one example after I began learning the ins and outs of playing Hammond organ in a rock type setting. 

I'm starting to dig the Smiths from now realizing how killer the bass lines are in many of the songs, after learning pedestrian bass capabilities on my own.

I went through a fusion phase in the 80s and I can't really stand a lot of my collection from that era any longer; Pat Matheny, Hiroshima, Yellowjackets, etc.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »

U2 would be another mostly because I started to despise Bono's rock star self importance. I loved early REM but they kind of petered out on me. They were terrific when I saw them in concert, however. Tom Petty & the HBers kind of futzed around for a long while but they've come back strong with their last couple albums. They used to say that Van Morrison could sing the phone book and be great and for his last several albums, he's been trying to prove it. 
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »

Once they copied the Beatles rooftop concert, I lost any interest I may have had in U2.  Besides, what is with this Bone or the Edge name crap.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »

Once they copied the Beatles rooftop concert, I lost any interest I may have had in U2.  Besides, what is with this Bone or the Edge name crap.

These guys were high school age buddies and these were their nicknames for each other back then. Bono is short for Bono Vox.

You can call Bono being self righteous, but there's plenty of evidence that he backs what he preaches with personal action. I'll take a thousand self righteous Bono's to every other self important rock stars who do nothing with their privileged access to movers and shakers other than to self promote.

Something about him actually able to do what we all would like to do for the world to make it a better place for all rubs people are he wrong way, which is kind of twisted.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 05:09:35 AM »

Other than Bono, The Edge and Sting I can think of no others who go by silly teenage nicknames. Do I need to apologize for beginning to think less of them for it? Hey Paul, Dave and Gord ... grow the **** up.
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »

Other than Bono, The Edge and Sting I can think of no others who go by silly teenage nicknames. Do I need to apologize for beginning to think less of them for it? Hey Paul, Dave and Gord ... grow the **** up.
Ever heard of that drummer guy, went by the name of "Ringo"?

Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 05:20:31 PM »

Three that readily come to mind from my youth are Seals and Crofts, America and the Doobie Brothers. Nowadays, I can tolerate but a few of their songs.   

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »

A bit of trivia.  I watched a documentary on George Martin and discovered he produced some of America's albums.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 11:22:21 PM »

Interesting thread...  there have been artists that have changed (or ironically, failed to change), that I've lost interest in (their newer stuff).  In general, I still like what I once liked.  Genesis is a good example.  I loved (and still love) the Peter Gabriel era stuff.  The first album without him was ok.  The next was meh (as the youngsters say these days), and then when Steve Hackett left, yuck. 

Maybe I'll start a thread for artists that people once disliked (or just dismissed) and started liking.

Ed
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:36:33 PM »

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 03:04:51 AM »

Ringo Starr .....  not a one word name.  That is what I was referring to.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: