Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New at Elderly - Farida Guitars?  (Read 2181 times)
Gregg E

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »

Huh!  These just showed up at Elderly:

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars.html?manufacturer=2856

And I found this write-up:
"Old Town Series Acoustic Guitars

Elderly Instruments is pleased to announce a new line of acoustic guitars which will add a new dimension of quality and value to the marketplace. The Farida Old Town Series guitars have been designed and produced in a collaborative effort between Elderly Instruments and Farida Guitars, a highly respected overseas maker of fine guitars. Brimming with vintage sensibility and combined with modern construction techniques, these guitars are a fantastic combination of Old World craftsmanship and tone, all at an affordable price.
     The Old Town guitars were conceived as a special series to be produced for Elderly Instruments. The series was designed by Stan Werbin and Joe Konkoly (Elderly Instruments head repairman and independent luthier) in conjunction with Farida. The two venerable companies have worked together for almost two years to produce this fine line. We are very happy to say that these are now available for sale here at Elderly Instruments. "

Never heard of them, and I probably won't make the trip over there any time soon.  Anyone ever laid hands on one?  Gotta figure it's decent quality or Elderly wouldn't touch it.

Thanks,

Gregg

"Music is too important to be left to professionals."
nctom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »

This is slightly different, but I ran into a new (to me) line this past weekend at a shop in Wilmington, NC, Merida Guitars. I haven't seen any mention of Merida, but the guitars seemed like pretty high quality Chinese-made classical and steel-string instruments. Interesting similarity of the two names.
rbpicker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:33:36 AM »

Interesting, I'll need to check them out.  BTW, Elderly is located in a revitalized section of Lansing, MI known as Old Town. Cool area.

RB
superdave

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »

Well I had some time to kill and decided to stop in at Elderly and check out the new Farida guitars. One of my buddy's who work there gave them a thumbs up! I tried the OT 25. Solid Spruce top solid Mahogany back and sides. Finish was even and clean. The burst is done nicely. The guitar is very Gibsonish. The neck felt great and was very playable. Tone was very clear with nice mids. I tried the rosewood model but quickly went back to the hog model. I played a few other import guitars afterwards but again went back to OT 25. Yes it has a stacked heel and might be poly finish ? But for the price it's not only pleasing to look at but fun to play.
Dave

Morgan OMM
Bart Reiter Tubaphone openback banjo
Scherl & Roth German Fiddle
Ramsey Fairbanks Electric Banjo
Eastman 503 Archtop
Gregg E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »

Thanks for the update.  Did you happen to play either of the two parlors?

Gregg

"Music is too important to be left to professionals."
superdave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:30:52 AM »

Gregg I did not. Wasn't too interested in that size but if I get another chance I will .
Dave

Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop
superdave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »

After playing these guitars it made me think on how our world is changing ! My Wife and I are building our retirement home and are struggling to fine necessary items such as lighting and plumbing fixtures among other things that are made in the U.S.A. As much as we would like to use home grown products they are becoming harder to come by no mater how much we try ! All though a lot of these brands that we recognize harken the old days of made in the USA their factories now reside somewhere else. I'm not advocating to either buy made in the USA or do without ! It's just that I believe most other countries probably dont look first to see where it's made vs what their money will buy them ?

Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »

It's just that I believe most other countries probably dont look first to see where it's made vs what their money will buy them ?
It's always my very 1st consideration with most everything I purchase, and consider myself fortunate to still have that liberty!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »

It's always my very 1st consideration with most everything I purchase, and consider myself fortunate to still have that liberty!

+1

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: