Larrivee OM 50 Traditional Series

Started by emptypockets, September 26, 2016, 11:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

First of all: sorry for my bad english. I am from Germany and don't write in this language very often.

After a "long journey" I finally got my Larrivee dream guitar. An OM 50 Traditonal Mahogany which I traded für a Lakewood A 32 custom some days ago. The Lakewood is a very, very fine guitar, but it did not work well enough with the traditional blues I play.
The Larrivee fits perfect. Can't stop playing.

On all my guitars I play and played D'Addario EXP 80/20 Bronze Strings with the exeption of the Lakewood which sound very poor with these strings. I tried many strings and finally I found Pyramid Round Core strings (Western Folk) which turned out to be ideal.

I put EXPs on my Larrivee and it sounds very, very well. But has anybody any suggestions if there are still better strings for this guitar.

Btw: I hate Elixirs.....
K.Yairi YW 1000
Johnson JM994
Regal RD 40
Johnson JM 998
Haar Relic '52 Tele

What ways would you like to change the sound? It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing your tastes.
That said, Newtones are my favorite on most of my Larrivees. They're much easier to find in EU than in the US.  The Masterclass series is complex and balanced sounding.  They also last a very long time.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

My Larrivees' love Martin M140 80/20 Bronze strings.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

"I put EXPs on my Larrivee and it sounds very, very well. But has anybody any suggestions if there are still better strings for this guitar.

Btw: I hate Elixirs....."

I got nothing for ya, since I've only used Elixars for years on all my guitars. . .  :rolleye:

Your english is better than 90% of the people I read on Reddit, so congratulations for that. The only thing I'd put a red pencil thru is that "sounds very, very well."  It would read better to natural english speakers to write "sounds very, very nice" or "sounds really great" or "sounds very beautiful". "Well" in this context suggests the sound is not sick . . .

Forgive my being picky, but I thought you might want some feedback. Welcome to the the forum! :nana_guitar

:donut2 :coffee :donut
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Thank you very much. Yes, I know how hard it is for english and american people to always use the correct words in german..... But important is, that one understands what is meant.

It is not so that I'm not content with the EXPs, but sometimes there are strings on guitars that sound "nicer" than others and I wondered if anyone maybe has any suggestions.

95 % of my musik is old style acoustic blues of the twenties and thirtees (Blind Blake, Skip James, Robert Johnson and so on). Quite unusual for a german you might say,  but I've been  loving the blues since I was a child. And this was a long, long time ago, about 50 years now.....
K.Yairi YW 1000
Johnson JM994
Regal RD 40
Johnson JM 998
Haar Relic '52 Tele

Ah, for your style, try Newtone Double-Wound. They have a warmer tone, well-suited toward old timey tunes. Similar to the Tomasik Infields but much less expensive. If you don't like Elixirs, that tells me that you generally don't like bright strings.  You may even enjoy Silk and Steel strings. They don't have the same articulation and richness as the Newtones but they are fairly cheap and have a darker tone, perfect for most 30's bless.

Quote from: B0WIE on September 26, 2016, 06:26:55 PM
Ah, for your style, try Newtone Double-Wound. They have a warmer tone, well-suited toward old timey tunes. Similar to the Tomasik Infields but much less expensive. If you don't like Elixirs, that tells me that you generally don't like bright strings.  You may even enjoy Silk and Steel strings. They don't have the same articulation and richness as the Newtones but they are fairly cheap and have a darker tone, perfect for most 30's bless.

Where are you getting your Newtones now?  I have lost all of my sources of supply online that I used to get them from...
George

I would love to try these Newtone Double Wounds. But I'm afraid they are much too expensive in Europe: up to 35 € in England (about 40 $!). A bit cheaper in Spain.
In Germany I didn't find any.
But I keep looking.

I think I'll try Pyramid Round Cores first, which did quite a good job on my Lakewood.
K.Yairi YW 1000
Johnson JM994
Regal RD 40
Johnson JM 998
Haar Relic '52 Tele

Quote from: georbro3 on September 26, 2016, 06:34:55 PM
Where are you getting your Newtones now?  I have lost all of my sources of supply online that I used to get them from...
SuperStrings, which is a UK shop that is happy to ship to the US. Depending on the dollar fluctuation and whether they are running any sales, I've gotten regular Masterclass for as low as $9ea.  Right now, double-wounds are $12.76ea (be sure to check the price without VAT) and you can get 5% off first time orders.
http://www.superstrings.com/newtone-master-class-double-wound-guitar-strings/

In the US, I believe Strings By Mail carries them.  Newtone is a small company and demand exceeds supply so, when they're available, snatch them up.

Quote from: B0WIE on September 28, 2016, 12:13:54 PM
SuperStrings, which is a UK shop that is happy to ship to the US. Depending on the dollar fluctuation and whether they are running any sales, I've gotten regular Masterclass for as low as $9ea.  Right now, double-wounds are $12.76ea (be sure to check the price without VAT) and you can get 5% off first time orders.
http://www.superstrings.com/newtone-master-class-double-wound-guitar-strings/

In the US, I believe Strings By Mail carries them.  Newtone is a small company and demand exceeds supply so, when they're available, snatch them up.

Thanks for the tips!  I will try these guys.  I like the Double-Wound, the Heritage and the MasterClass in both nickel and bronze.
George

A short improvised blues in E major with my OM 50. Filmed with a Samsung Galaxy S6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsEynitJ8QY
K.Yairi YW 1000
Johnson JM994
Regal RD 40
Johnson JM 998
Haar Relic '52 Tele

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

:nana_guitar
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Fantastic playing!  I would slap some Martin Monels on that beauty and I think you would really like the tone it would produce for  your style of playing.

:+1:
Quote from: mattwood on October 03, 2016, 11:40:03 AM
Fantastic playing!  I would slap some Martin Monels on that beauty and I think you would really like the tone it would produce for  your style of playing.
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Great song, I love the blues.  Nice studio.  You might like Newtones too...
George

Very nice indeed.  I really enjoyed that.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Wonderfully played on a beautiful guitar!
Treenewt

Quote from: mattwood on October 03, 2016, 11:40:03 AM

Agree on the playing and also on the Monel suggestion!  I really enjoy them on my OM40R.