Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Bob Thornton and the Boxmasters  (Read 1075 times)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »

Last Friday, my wife and I attended their current touring show.  The venue was a smallish theatre (Festival Place) which has great acoustics.  We had a table right in front of the stage.  It was a very enjoyable performance, of the type I like the best;  Just a straight up band of competent tight musicians, incorporating lead and rhythm guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, drums, and Billy Bob as the front man/singer.  Well-mixed sound, classic guitars and amps, great harmonies, and not excessively loud.  I would not classify Billy's singing as anything special, but certainly sincere and compelling.

If you are not familiar, their music has been dubbed as "modbilly".  I would describe it as "country rock", perhaps.  Some of the songs had an Eagles vibe to them.  Most of the songs were written by Billy Bob if I'm not mistaken.  Some (of the songs) are based on an event or experience from the past, and some have a political or social commentary message to them, but none of them are overly "preachy", just common sense to most of us. Being unfamiliar with the band, I was affected in a positive way by the messages in the songs.  Billy interacted with the audience on a personal level and introduced several of the songs with the story behind them.  The highlight for me was when he went into a bit of a dissertation about how the music business has changed in that it used to be the music was the 1st consideration, and now it's the fashion and flash that rules and so the actual quality of the music is secondary.  He stated that he and his band just wanted to make good music and share it.  He said he was aware that what they were doing was not going to make them stars or any money.  I was impressed with that.  Maybe I'm naïve, but I thought he was sincere.

So have any of you been to one of his shows, and what are your impressions?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »

Haven't seen them live but your post prompted me to watch a few videos. I think your comment on Billy Bob's vocals was accurate and very generous. I thought the band was solid, but it just seemed to me that BBT was up front only because of his name. I watched 4 utube videos, both live and produced, and felt the same about all of them. Just MHO

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:12:52 PM »

Seeing some of his interviews I will admit, its difficult for me to get past that!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »

Try Jeff Bridges and the Abiders.
Or, I have a new favorite song ... Check,out the video
Joe Bonamassa "Drive."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=euMNVyuqmwo
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »

Great Bonamassa tune.  thanks for sharing...

George
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »

Seeing some of his interviews I will admit, its difficult for me to get past that!

Yeah, apparently he sort of crapped on performing in Canada a few years ago in a CBC interview which I haven't seen.  It seems he went out of his way to compliment Canada in this latest performance.  He is obviously a pretty big movie star, or has been.  Is he arrogant?  Perhaps, but he didn't come across that way.  Does he need the money?  I doubt it.  Does he need the attention?  I wouldn't rule that out.  Yet he talked about how he and his band have been teaching mentally challenged children how to appreciate and actually play music under their guidance.

Haven't seen them live but your post prompted me to watch a few videos. I think your comment on Billy Bob's vocals was accurate and very generous. I thought the band was solid, but it just seemed to me that BBT was up front only because of his name. I watched 4 utube videos, both live and produced, and felt the same about all of them. Just MHO

Yes, perhaps I was a bit generous about his singing.  It was adequate and he can carry a tune.  His delivery had a "Blues Brothers" vibe to it.  Just up there and singing with a straight face and shades.  I enjoyed the lyrics and the harmonies and the band was very tight.  His entourage made him look good at least.  I guess he just likes being in a band and perhaps his name makes it easier to draw audiences.  I get just as much enjoyment from observing what instruments, amps, and equipment is being used and how well the sound is mixed as I do from the performance itself.  As soon as I saw there was a keyboard and a Leslie speaker, I was hooked.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »

I get just as much enjoyment from observing what instruments, amps, and equipment is being used and how well the sound is mixed as I do from the performance itself.  As soon as I saw there was a keyboard and a Leslie speaker, I was hooked.
You are not alone!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »

A few years ago I saw a piece in TV about BBT's music gig.  I still remember one of the songs he had written, mainly because it was so bad.  It was called "Smokin' In Bed" and was truly awful.  This was back in his Angelina Jolie phase though, and maybe his songwriting chops have picked up since.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 04:56:15 AM »

The  popular music business has always had an element of looks and flash to it. This is not a new thing by any means. At least in the rock 'n' roll era it has always been that way.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: