looking for leftys but found rightys

Started by olrac, September 20, 2016, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was creeping the net for some leftys and in that search found these for you rightys. getting harder and harder to find :crying:

http://www.area22guitars.com/larrivee-guitars-1/

Yeah, but did you notice that they were All out of stock?  I saw a lefty on notable guitars the other day, don't know if it is still there.
George

Any Larrivee can be converted to a lefty without damaging the guitar.....BUT....you can always order one at no extra charge.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 20, 2016, 09:45:05 PM
Any Larrivee can be converted to a lefty without damaging the guitar.....BUT....you can always order one at no extra charge.
Electrics  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

:arrow Sorry brain dead......................................................... :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: georbro3 on September 20, 2016, 07:56:12 PM
Yeah, but did you notice that they were All out of stock?  I saw a lefty on notable guitars the other day, don't know if it is still there.

I just checked and they still have two available. I only saw a righty on Notable

Quote from: unclrob on September 20, 2016, 09:45:05 PM

Would that be true for the Legacy series though, given the bracing pattern?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: olrac on September 29, 2016, 04:42:14 PM
I just checked and they still have two available. I only saw a righty on Notable

Click on Acoustics, Left Handed and at the bottom of the page there is a lefty RS2 with 2 P90's...
George

There is a nice Lefty RS4 on Reverb.com for sale.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on October 26, 2016, 09:01:43 AM
There is a nice Lefty RS4 on Reverb.com for sale.

Looked for this but couldn't find it - did search but Reverb said there isn't a lefty RS-4 that ships to USA - is it in Canada?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on September 29, 2016, 11:48:00 PM
Would that be true for the Legacy series though, given the bracing pattern?
It wouldn't damage the guitar, but it may change the tone. Any acoustic can be converted, if you don't care about the sound change.

Quote from: Danny on October 28, 2016, 10:06:08 PM
  It wouldn't damage the guitar, but it may change the tone. Any acoustic can be converted, if you don't care about the sound change.
Well yeah.  The sound change was my point, not the physical ability to switch it around.

I don't know what the 40 bracing looks like but I have turned righties to lefty's a few time's with no issue and even converted a righty that was made lefty and I made it righty again by replacing the bridge again with no issue's.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on October 29, 2016, 11:14:28 AM
I don't know what the 40 bracing looks like but I have turned righties to lefty's a few time's with no issue and even converted a righty that was made lefty and I made it righty again by replacing the bridge again with no issue's.
I don't think converting a 40 series would cause a dynamic shift in tone, but it could make a subtle change. I've converted standard X braced guitars by making a  new slot in the bridge and putting on new saddes and nut. I don't think there was a lot of change in tone.
     But my hearing is 64 years old now and I have ringing in my ears all the time. So someone else would be a better judge.

OK so the 40 is X braced,not the standard bracing.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on October 29, 2016, 12:55:25 PM
OK so the 40 is X braced,not the standard bracing.
My understanding is that it's a hybrid,  part standard Larrivee bracing and some scalloped X bracing. I also think they move the position of the braces.

Quote from: Danny on October 29, 2016, 02:06:35 PM
My understanding is that it's a hybrid,  part standard Larrivee bracing and some scalloped X bracing. I also think they move the position of the braces.

Yes, the 40 series bracing is similar to Martin's - the two long braces below the X brace are slanted instead of parallel to the sound hole.

I've heard some pretty knowledgable luthiers say that the tone change is minimal to none by converting a righty to lefty (or vice versa): after all, all the strings are causing the whole top to vibrate...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 29, 2016, 08:59:18 PM
Yes, the 40 series bracing is similar to Martin's - the two long braces below the X brace are slanted instead of parallel to the sound hole.

I've heard some pretty knowledgable luthiers say that the tone change is minimal to none by converting a righty to lefty (or vice versa): after all, all the strings are causing the whole top to vibrate...

That makes sense to me.  My point was that a standard Larrivee's bracing pattern is symmetrical and a 40 series (like Martin et al) is asymmetrical and so that would cause the change in tone and frequency reponse.  Maybe not enough to be noticeable though, as some of you have learned from experience.  Yet if that were true, why are most makers so careful about having the optimal bracing pattern in the first place?