Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just couldn't resist!  (Read 1462 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

I've been on the hunt for an RS4 with Lollar pups.
 Found one in Canada, so no shipping fees, no taxes, no duties, and a good price.
 Suffice to say it's dead mint,and with a Jan 2008 build date, it makes a very early one.
 Always hard to catch the tiger stripe maple, but it's stunning.

I did the barn board shot, then going in the house, I decided to set it on top on my wife's Nissan 380ZX.

enjoy, I sure am!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »

Geez, you sure have a knack for finding the Great Ones!  Congratulations.  Beautiful guitar...   nice guitar

George
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »

Lovely!

Resistance is futile 

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

Wow!! Now that's a top!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »

Beautiful guitar

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 jason lollar 2008
Fender cd100 ce lh
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »

Jealous here. Nice guitar.   
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »

Wow!! Now that's a top!

I think they were using veneer on the tops back then.   

Kevin, I surmise you have a preference for the Lollars over the Larrivee humbucking pickups?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

Kevin, I surmise you have a preference for the Lollars over the Larrivee humbucking pickups?

It's a maple cap.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »

Jeez, ya, know? it could be one of those photo engraved tops you see on all the lower priced guitars....ya never know with those Larrivee folks do ya  

I don't recall surmising any preference, other than curiosity, at one point I was entertaining putting a set of Lollars in my RS4 with the ML Gen 3's
 When I got the RS4 with the p90's, comparing it to the previously mentioned RS4 was not very difficult, P90's vs HB's (Both sets from Larrivee) is a pretty distinctly different sound palette for all the obvious reasons.

The RS4 with the Lollars brings a more subtle difference to the table that (for me) is somewhat refreshing.
Matt set out to re-invent the late 50's PAF pick-up, it was his interview with David Wren at the NAMM show in 2009 (?) that I found so incredibly intriguing that allowed me to just go buy an RS4 with his Gen 3 pups, sight unseen.
Matt did his homework and for that alone (never mind the absolute stunning woods, and second to none quality of EVERY single component of the guitar that has (in my mind) given him top honours for his part in the R & R of the Oxnard RS4. Still best electric guitar for under $5,000. And he CERTAINLY nailed the  vintage PAF.

Regarding the difference in sound with the Lollars, I use the word refreshing, because, well, it's different sound to my ears, coming from a different pick up builder.
 comparing the two in the same body design is a fairly accurate way to listen.

So far, what I can say is, the Lollars have a more "airy" top chine to them, almost a hint of single coil sparkle, with a more "open" sound.
 ya silly words to describe sound (sort of like a wine tasting..."with a hint of cherry in the finish"

HEY! there IS a hint of cherry in the finish of the latest guitar!!

anyways, Jim Lollar, clearly knows what he's doing or they wouldn't have put those pick ups in the first year of production.
the Imperial "Low wind" is a lovely match for the body design,

The ML Gen3's are exactly what they set out to be, with (o here we go with the wine language again) a rich, fat smooth sound with a bit of bite, and a perfect balance of harmonics, note for note, in every position, every fret across the spectrum. Certainly no bitter after tastes and an equally smooth finish like the Lollars.

OK, enough of this wine talk, I'm going to play guitar!

Like over 50?

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »

I would love to do the opposite of what Kevin has done and get an RS-4 with Matt's pups. I do love mine with Lollars, however. Like Kev says they chose them for a reason. My old LT-1 has one of the hottest pickups I have ever had the pleasure to play, designed and hand wound way back when JCL was winding them on the kitchen table and Matthew was taking notes.     
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 09:16:55 PM »

To my ear the difference between the Lollars and the ML Gen 3 was very subtle and not enough in itself to purchase a guitar for it. Both nail the PAF tone if that can be narrowed down to one ( a very general one) As with many things tho, YMMV

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »

To my ear the difference between the Lollars and the ML Gen 3 was very subtle and not enough in itself to purchase a guitar for it. Both nail the PAF tone if that can be narrowed down to one ( a very general one) As with many things tho, YMMV

slippery slope....... one might say the same when comparing EIR to BZ,
I believe you own both?

Judging from your statement then, you have been doing the same comparison.

Matters not, IMO pretty much ANY reason to grab such high quality instruments now unavailable just for the sheer joy of ownership to play and love, then pass on to others when we pass either as an investment or for use is a good reason to buy.

My first week of testing/comparing was using my minimal efx rig, no distortion, a bit of compression, delay and tremolo.
The Lollars edged out the ML's by a warm, sweet breath.

Changing things up and laying on some over drive, and bumping up the mids for edge,
 the reverse was true, this is where the gen3's really soar..

Regarding the PAF discussion,
 isn't that going to be a tad moot, simply for scale length argument alone?

we may have ventured into the apples and oranges territory there.....

Like over 50?

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »

I like it!! Congrats. It's a beauty. Altho', truthfully I've never seen an RS4 that didn't push the buttons, ya know.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »

IMO pretty much ANY reason to grab such high quality instruments now unavailable just for the sheer joy of ownership to play and love, then pass on to others when we pass either as an investment or for use is a good reason to buy.

+1 guess my statement was only an opinion or warning to anybody thinking there is a great difference between the Lollar & Larrivee RS-4's might be disappointed at just how narrow that spectrum is IMO.

If someone wants another top shelf electric and has one - yes by all means go get the other if your opportunity cost isn't so great - especially right now when these can be had for almost a 3rd of what I was buying them for.

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »

I would love to do the opposite of what Kevin has done and get an RS-4 with Matt's pups. I do love mine with Lollars, however. Like Kev says they chose them for a reason. My old LT-1 has one of the hottest pickups I have ever had the pleasure to play, designed and hand wound way back when JCL was winding them on the kitchen table and Matthew was taking notes.     

Just go get one to add to your already wonderful collection Thomas, you won't regret it...

George
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 08:03:40 PM »

Just go get one to add to your already wonderful collection Thomas, you won't regret it...

I'd love to but retirement has sure limited my disposable cash.  I work harder and make less. What kind of deal is this?   
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 05:47:29 AM »

I'd love to but retirement has sure limited my disposable cash.  I work harder and make less. What kind of deal is this?   

i guess moving back to the motherland isn't an option?
just askin'

Like over 50?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: