Graduation Curmudgeon Guitar

Started by Capn Rory, August 14, 2016, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So since I was about to turn 65 years of age, I thought it was best if a new guitar came into my life. I have played and revered my 1979 L-09 for 37 years now, and have kept two other acoustics, a Takamine EF-407 koa NY sized gem and a far east made McKenzie & Marr Ian Tyson model that is a Jumbo hog and Sitka guitar. I have played many nice dreadnoughts over the years but never owned one until July.
I found a Larrivee D-40, a Vancouver made special edition made for the Long & McQuade music store chain in 2010. These are satin finished sitka and rosewood guitars with open back Grover sta-tite tuners, a squared headstock and maple binding.
A local seller in my city had the guitar listed on our classified ad website, and after trying it out for an hour, ABing it against other Martin dreads he had, I realized it was a very good guitar. Now nothing stays original very long with me, and my favorite local music store had a Sunrise pickup used, in stock. I had seen these in Emmylou Harris, Michael Hedges and Lyle Lovett guitars, and thought it would be nice to try out in the new guitar. I bought some mini 3.5 mm mono male and female connectors, and the store had a good endpin jack in stock, so yesterday I spent 2 hours wiring it all up. Today I ran that rig through an Acoustic Image Clarus II head and my Raezer's Edge Stealth 10" ER cabinet, that's my archtop guitar amp of choice for jazz.... well good golly if that rig don't sound fabulous with an acoustic equipped with a magnetic pickup.  :bgrin: :bgrin:

I have, since turning 65, graduated from an apprenticing curmudgeon to a full blown curmudgeon.... :mad: :angry:
.... but I brought  :donut :donut :donut :donut2

Congrats!!  Share some pics if possible.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

This old curmudgeon likes magnetic pickups in acoustic guitars too...  My favorite is the Schertler AG6 Magnetico with wood inlay top, but I have a Sunrise as well...

P. S.  A D-40 is an excellent playing/sounding Larrivee guitar even without a pickup! 
George

From one 60 year old who has been called a curmudgeon since I was 18 CONGRATS,,,, :nice guitar:......nice pu too, :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Welcome from another Canadian member.  Nice introduction.  My magnetic pickup of choice for an acoustic is the Seymour Duncan "acoustic tube" which has been around since the early 1980's.  By your definition, I will become a curmudgeon myself in a couple of years.

Kurt in Edmonton Alberta.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I used to have the OM version of this model. Great guitar!

:welcome:  To the over the hill (65) club....    and enjoy your new guitar....     :guitar       :donut   :coffee

Remember THE ALTERNATIVES to old age are NOT GOOD, so keep on keepin' on !!

:nana_guitar
:thumb
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Quote from: unclrob on August 14, 2016, 10:47:38 PM
From one 60 year old who has been called a curmudgeon since I was 18 CONGRATS,,,, :nice guitar:......nice pu too, :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :wave

Oh oh only two more years to go for me! But looking forward to seniors discount at the local restaurant! Granted my gut feeling is they reduce the portions to offset the price reduction....  :ohmy:

Quote from: DJ in FL on September 05, 2016, 04:01:57 PM
Remember THE ALTERNATIVES to old age are NOT GOOD, so keep on keepin' on !!

:nana_guitar
:thumb

:+1:
George