Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: " THINLINE " or not to " THINLINE "  (Read 636 times)
DaveKubler

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:32:51 AM »

I currently own a 2011 DV-03 with a LR Baggs Lyric installed and absolutely love it.   That being said, I play mostly sitting down, plugged in.  The dread is not the most comfortable body to play for though, as my shoulder would appreciate something smaller.   I have sort of narrowed my choice down to the OMV body style (smaller lower bout by 3/4" and with a std. OM the thickness is also 3/4" thinner body.   I have come across a very nice custom OMV with spruce top but quilted maple back and sides, no binding...and no barn door electronics that I really love the look of, but it's a limited run 'thinline'....at only 3.25 thick, vs. 4.25 for the std. OM....and 5 for the Dread.    I am afraid that not only by going with a smaller lower bout in the OM, then going that much thinner will cause the guitar to be too wimpy when unplugged.  I also think the maple will cause it to be a bit 'brighter' then my spruce/hog dread.....  but I don't want it to get tinny sounding. 

Anyways, just throwing this out there to 'discuss'....  :)      thoughts ??
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:52 AM »

One of the best sounding acoustic electric guitars I ever owned was a thinline with maple back and sides and a very small body size.  I played it for over 12 years and then like an idiot let it go, something I will always regret.  Some of the smaller Larrivee's will blow you away...  If you can play it first or have someone record it that may sway you.  Since you play mostly electric you may not be able to put it down anyway...

Oh and that guitar is not quilted maple it is beautiful Flamed!!  I wonder if it has a narrow nut width?

Welcome to the forum Dave!

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »

A thinline OM in maple is almost certainly going to sound thinner than your dread.  You've got 3 factors there which are contributing toward a brighter tone than what you have.  I would look at a maple thin OM for if I were wanting really responsive and crisp guitar.  Probably for fingerstyle.  Granted, I haven't played that actual guitar, but I've played enough guitars to take an educated guess on this one.  I bet it sounds great, and I bet I'd like it, but be aware of what you're getting into.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
DaveKubler

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:53:46 AM »

One of the best sounding acoustic electric guitars I ever owned was a thinline with maple back and sides and a very small body size.  I played it for over 12 years and then like an idiot let it go, something I will always regret.  Some of the smaller Larrivee's will blow you away...  If you can play it first or have someone record it that may sway you.  Since you play mostly electric you may not be able to put it down anyway...

Oh and that guitar is not quilted maple it is beautiful Flamed!!  I wonder if it has a narrow nut width?

Welcome to the forum Dave!

Thank you Sir.  I appreciate the welcome and your comments..
DaveKubler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:57:39 AM »

A thinline OM in maple is almost certainly going to sound thinner than your dread.  You've got 3 factors there which are contributing toward a brighter tone than what you have.  I would look at a maple thin OM for if I were wanting really responsive and crisp guitar.  Probably for fingerstyle.  Granted, I haven't played that actual guitar, but I've played enough guitars to take an educated guess on this one.  I bet it sounds great, and I bet I'd like it, but be aware of what you're getting into.

Yup....and yup.  I do alot of fingerstyle as my rhythm, but then like to flat pick sometimes when doing lead over the top.  I do mostly solo loop station performances, so this is why it would be plugged in most of the time.  anytime it would be unplugged, would be me just sitting on the couch and picking it up to noodle around on. 

thanks for the advice....   
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:59 AM »

Probably sacrelige (or maybe I'm missing the question), but...

If I were seriously in the market for a thinline acoustic electric, I'd go straight to Godin.  I'd probably even think hard about one with the Roland guitar synth pickup built-in.

Ed
DaveKubler

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 03:13:32 AM »

Probably sacrelige (or maybe I'm missing the question), but...

If I were seriously in the market for a thinline acoustic electric, I'd go straight to Godin.  I'd probably even think hard about one with the Roland guitar synth pickup built-in.

Ed

I'm not looking for a thinline.  This one came up as it has everything else I was looking for....OMV body, something different then my spruce/hog dread wood combo, a bit more 'exotic' looking, and the maple does that...    what is holding me back is the fact that it IS thinline...   amd I just don't want to be taking myself into the land of 'this guitar sounds weak'...when played unplugged.    I had that for YEARS with my Ovation...

On a side note, funny you should say the Roland midi pickup thing...  I just returned the GR-55 and the GK-3 midi pickup. I had the pickup installed on my DV-03 and it worked perfectly, but I really didn't like the idea of keeping it on that guitar and most likely damaging the finish after it staying on for awhile...    Also, that GR-55 is sort of  crazy overkill , and not the most user friendly IMO.   I sent it back.   I picked up a few EHX pedals..the B9, MEL9 , and the KEY9... with a Carbon Copy delay, and a hall of reverb.   that gives me what i need on my acoustic loop station rig :) 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: