Whoa! John Hiatt Plays An L-09

Started by Fergy07, February 22, 2005, 06:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just saw a great concert on Friday, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett, Guy Clark, and Joe Ely. This was a great show, it was just the four of them on stage, just jamming, and occassionally backing each other up. They rocked (or would 'they folked' be more correct?). I believe John Hiatt was playing an L-09, or maybe an LS-09. Either way, he was awesome. I couldn't tell what Joe Ely was playing, but from where I was sitting, it appeared to have a shiny border on the headstock, so hey, he could've been playing one as well. His would have been a sunburst D-09 maple? More likely it was another guitar manufacturer though.

I think their still touring together, and if you want a really good acoustic evening you should check them out.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Thanks for the warning. I caught Hiatt and Sonny Landreth last year in concert. It was great.
Did you know that John Prine is on the road with Leon Redbone? Another good road show...
--Fred

Non of these act EVER make it to Tallahassee.I'd love to see Hiatt,Prine and Redbone I'm a BIG fan of all three.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

i wish i was there.....
John Hiatt is one of my favs!!
He never seems to pop by Vancouver, but makes it to the Edmonton Folk Festival quite a bit......

i guess that means i have to fly to Edmonchuck in the summer.......
hope i get to see him soon!
1993 - Larrivee D-60 Rosewood w/ Bband A1 / ust
a good way to start my Larrivee collection!

Celebrate we will Because life is short but sweet for certain

I forgot to add that I saw Prine during a trip back to Wyoming and he had Todd Snyder opening for him. You might want to check out Snyder if you haven't.
Fred

Unclrob,

I just sent you a mail. Actually you luck dog, they are in Talahassee this Friday at the University. Check you r mail for a link to tour info.

FYI,
Albert

Sounds like a great show. They came to town recently but was spending some quality time with the Mrs. Skunk. Seen John Hiatt a few times(opened up for Hootie and the Blowfish) including once at a smaller theatre in Detroit. Incredible songwriter "Have a Little Faith In Me, Lipstick sunset, Perfectly Good Guitar, Slow Turning" and so many more. Great balads as well as uptempo numbers. Saw Lyle Lovett once, what a great show, talk about a tight backupband. Just starting to get into Guy Clark through Jimmy Buffett(Boats To Build)  
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

QuoteSounds like a great show. They came to town recently but was spending some quality time with the Mrs. Skunk.
Ahhh man, That stinks!  :ph34r:  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I tried to go but they were sold out. :(  :angry:  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

QuoteI just saw a great concert on Friday, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett, Guy Clark, and Joe Ely. This was a great show, it was just the four of them on stage, just jamming, and occassionally backing each other up. They rocked (or would 'they folked' be more correct?). I believe John Hiatt was playing an L-09, or maybe an LS-09. Either way, he was awesome. I couldn't tell what Joe Ely was playing, but from where I was sitting, it appeared to have a shiny border on the headstock, so hey, he could've been playing one as well. His would have been a sunburst D-09 maple? More likely it was another guitar manufacturer though.

I think their still touring together, and if you want a really good acoustic evening you should check them out.

Andy
QuoteI just saw a great concert on Friday, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett, Guy Clark, and Joe Ely.

By the date on your message, it looks like you were at the Friday show in Princeton. I was at the Thursday show and it was also very good.

Jim

Hiatt usually plays Gibsons, and is on record as saying he likes the shorter scale and chunky sound.  But he has been photographed with a number of different brands, including a Yamaha acoustic.

E. Shoaf

Jim,

We saw the show in Morristown, had we known he had two dates in Princeton we would have gone there. The Mercarta theatre is much a better venue (read that as more leg room). I guess you're in Jersey also? Where abouts? I'm down in Somerset.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Hmm, Hiatt's playing a J-200 (or is it 185 with fancy pickguard) here.  Hard to say about the others.

that's a different one than he played that night, but hey, If I can own 5 guitars, I'm sure he can also. Hadn't thought to bring my camera.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Okay, did some searching on the web, maybe he was playing an OM-10, here is a link to him playing one... http://www.thejohnhiattarchives.com/pictur...20030823/05.jpg

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

QuoteJim,

We saw the show in Morristown, had we known he had two dates in Princeton we would have gone there. The Mercarta theatre is much a better venue (read that as more leg room). I guess you're in Jersey also? Where abouts? I'm down in Somerset.

Andy
Andy,

They were in Princeton on the Thursday and Friday nights. Friday sold out before I heard about the show, so my wife and I ended up going on Thursday.

I live over in Bucks County, Pa., so the drive to the mcCarter at Princeton is about 20 minutes for us. It's a really nice theater. It was the first time we'd ever been there.

Jim

Jim,

It looks like he is touring with his band, they are scheduled to play Ellis Island in June. Maybe he'll make it to the Tin Angel or one of the other clubs in Philly.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

QuoteJim,

It looks like he is touring with his band, they are scheduled to play Ellis Island in June. Maybe he'll make it to the Tin Angel or one of the other clubs in Philly.

Andy
I am going to keep my eyes open. Not sure how big a tour Hiatt will have. he just had back surgery.

Jim