Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mediums hurting my tone ????  (Read 2479 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 02:32:59 AM »

I would make sure the string slots are cut properly. But that's the first thing I do with every guitar I've had.

Yeah.  A complete well done setup is important.  Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that nut slots cut for mediums will accommodate lights (or some "hybrid" sets (like "bluegrass")) better than slots (specifically) cut for lights will accommodate mediums.  Depending on the maker, relief may need a tweak when changing string weight, but most necks these days seem to be pretty stable.  Larrivee's are particularly stable in my experience.

Ed
Rdodger300

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »

It definitely could be the nut slots, I've noticed the mediums are sitting pretty high on the nut. I'll have to bring it to a luthier cuz i don't wanna mess it up.ive tackled this job on many electrics and a couple acoustic guitars but dont wanna half -CENSORED- job on Larry.

2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2007 Gibson les Paul Custom
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »

Sometime's a guitar wants what it wants?
Yep! Each guitar different and you search for the right strings to match the way the guitar is going to transfer that energy. Thicker doesn't always mean better tone.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:23 PM »

Side note : if you guys haven't tried the aluminium bronze you really should , they perform exactly as they say on the pack. Louder projection and extremely clear notes

I second that.  I would put a set of Aluminum Bronze lights on a guitar before any other set of bronze strings.  They really are louder and clearer...  (I also highly recommend nickel bronze)

George
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 01:58:29 AM »

Larrivee dreads are already lean in the low end so mediums are a really good choice, IMO

I think I know what you mean about bottom end on Larry dreads - but I have an SD-03 that has loads of bottom end, even with lights. Still, I use a bluegrass set on it, because it seems to make it less work for my thumb when finger-picking.

Flat picking is a whole other story. Easy to manage Ma Carter style bass-note/strum stuff but hard to keep the 4th and 3rd from singing out too loud when you're playing straight rhythm. Perhaps partly due to the neck radius?

I just recommend changing brands first.

+1
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

This is the point where I generally say, strings? Six new ones. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: