Mediums hurting my tone ????

Started by Rdodger300, September 04, 2016, 07:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys , i strung my d02 with medium/lights (bluegrass) today and i dont know if its just me but they just dont seem to sound as good as the light guage i had on earlier .both sets of strings are d'addario and both are bronze .To me the mediums sound less lively or dull compared to the light guage. Is this normal or does my guitar prefer light guage. Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2007 Gibson les Paul Custom
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Mediums hurt my fingers.  You have to press down harder than you do with lights.

Quote from: Rdodger300 on September 04, 2016, 07:24:39 PM
Hey guys , i strung my d02 with medium/lights (bluegrass) today and i dont know if its just me but they just dont seem to sound as good as the light guage i had on earlier .both sets of strings are d'addario and both are bronze .To me the mediums sound less lively or dull compared to the light guage. Is this normal or does my guitar prefer light guage. Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated

How low is the action?  I have seen guitars with low action that prevent heavier gauge strings from resonating properly, or something could have shifted when you changed the set (some nuances can cause this) or you may just have a dud set of strings...

I like the volume of mediums, but they hurt my fingers too so I use custom light gauge...
George

This is the second set of mediums ive tried , the first set i thought might have been just a dead set but this set was purchased elsewhere and from a different manufacturer. The action is low but not crazy low there is absolutely no buzzing anywhere . And , shouldnt i be able to have lower action with the mediums since they dont move as much as the lights because of the increased string tension ? I dont have an issue playing the heavier guage just an issue with the tone change .its kinda driving me nuts because i always thought mediums drive the top more hence better sound/tone
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Going to a next higher gauge will raise the action, just like you suggested.  But the difference is usually slight to negligible.  I realize that's not your issue.  I suggest that if you don't get the expected change or benefit from the change of strings, then just go with what you like better ( in this case, the strings you had on before the change).  That said, no harm in experimenting.  There are so many variables involved, though.  Various gauges, brands, formulations would have to be tried.  Go with what feels and sounds the best to you and take what a certain string is "supposed" to accomplish with a grain of salt.

Just my 2 cents.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Agreed, i tend to get caught up in "whats supposed to sound good " instead of trusting my own ears and experience. Thanx
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

Quote from: Rdodger300 on September 04, 2016, 09:28:01 PM
Agreed, i tend to get caught up in "whats supposed to sound good " instead of trusting my own ears and experience. Thanx

That's a trap many of us fall into.  Good luck.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Sometime's a guitar wants what it wants?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I say this so often, I'm sure some folks are tired of hearing it, but...

Every time I get a guitar, I go to Webstrings.com, and buy an assortment of strings...  light, med, and bluegrass in PB and 80/20.  Their strings sound ok, but don't last long.  They are cheap...  about $3 a set, so I don't mind putting them on and scrapping them after a few days.  It lets me know what is going to work best on a given guitar.  Considering the $$ I've put into gadgets and gear over the years, it's a relatively cheap ($20 or so) experiment.  I usually try again a year later to see if anything has changed, but usually what works on a given guitar is what's going to work.

Best of luck.

Ed

This is exactly what ive been doing since i picked up the d02 qnd so far i think its a toss up between d'addario 80/20 bronze and ernie balls aluminum bronze light guage . Just about to change out the day old mediums and headed back to light guage
Side note : if you guys haven't tried the aluminium bronze you really should , they perform exactly as they say on the pack. Louder projection and extremely clear notes
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

I think that Mediums suck the tone out of any guitar unless you play with a fairly heavy flatpick.

I play with bare fingers, maybe a thumb pick, and mediums have deadened the response, killed the sustain, and deadened the overtones of every guitar I have put them on.

Change brands first. Lights have a weaker bass response so they sound brighter, but they don't tune as well (note pitch drops with the sustain). Larrivee dreads are already lean in the low end so mediums are a really good choice, IMO. But, ultimately it's up to your tastes.   I just recommend changing brands first.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I noticed the low end drop off as soon as i switched back to lights so maybe i ll take yoyr advice and try a different brand , i have some martin mediums kicking around somewhere
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

You can also try mixing gauge's.Use the Low E,A,D from a medium set and use the lite's on the G,B and high E.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on September 06, 2016, 10:15:17 AM
You can also try mixing gauge's.Use the Low E,A,D from a medium set and use the lite's on the G,B and high E.

That's a "bluegrass" set. 

Ed

I did not know that.....thanks :thumb
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Tried the d'addario bluegrass and wasn't a fan but gonna try different manufacturers as suggested before
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

I was thinking about my issue at work today and thought maybe its my style of play thats messing me up when the mediums are on .im a pretty light touch with a pick and just recently started flatpicking some bluegrass so maybe i just need to work on technique and digging in a bit more to get the sound from the mediums.
Just a thought
2014 Larrivee D-02
2013 Takamine EG523SC
1978 El Degas MT 7
2010 LTD EC 1000 deluxe

I would make sure the string slots are cut properly. But that's the first thing I do with every guitar I've had.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Rdodger300 on September 06, 2016, 07:31:37 PM
I was thinking about my issue at work today and thought maybe its my style of play thats messing me up when the mediums are on .im a pretty light touch with a pick and just recently started flatpicking some bluegrass so maybe i just need to work on technique and digging in a bit more to get the sound from the mediums.
Just a thought
Are you using thick picks?  Try thinner pics with more pointed tips for a brighter tone.  Fender thin is a good starting point.  Won't help with bluegrass leads but they're nice for strumming.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.