Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out with the fancy, in with the Nanci.....  (Read 1349 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »

Most of you probably saw my latest Charis up for sale in the classifieds - things are continuing to deteriorate with my Dad and I don't know what the future will bring, so I sold it off getting ready for some financial draining.   It just didn't make sense to have 3 world class steel strings here.

Within a few hours of sealing the deal on the Charis, I stumbled upon something I've wanted for a long time at a very reasonable price.   I saw Nanci Griffith the first time in about '83 doing a couple solo acoustic shows here in MI at very small venues.   I had her first two albums already and knew what to expect, but found myself quite smitten.  I got to meet her the second show and had been a big fan since.    When Taylor released the 512-NG in '96 for a limited run of 100, I thought how cool it would be to have one, but the timing was never right.

My main gigging guitar for about a decade was an '89 Taylor 512C florentine with a 1 7/8 nut - loved that thing and it probably did 1000 shows for me, until I played a Larrivee OM-05 in 2002 and it just had a little more sparkle/life, and I let the Taylor go......I think maybe I'd worn it out like James Taylor talks about.   The Nanci model is the same body, cutaway and woods - just a sunburst top and 1 3/4 nut (which I can usually still get around on OK)

So, when I found the Nanci the other day at a great price, it just made sense.....and the timing was finally right.   It went through the Taylor "Renew" program a few years back and had some repairs done to some finish cracks that happened when Elderly shipped it to a guy in California in the depths of our Michigan winter.   But, other than that it appears to be very nice and clean for a 20 year old piece.  Also comes with a brand new Taylor GC case.

I should have it by Tuesday or so - coming from an  accomplished player in Piedmont SD.    Hoping it's good enough after 20 years of opening up to keep up somewhat with my good ones!   Might have to cut some holes in the side of it though ohmy

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »

First,sorry about the turns of life hitting you now,as always you have friends there and here standing with you.

Though I'm not a fan of Taylors I do love a good burst.Let us know how she is when you get her.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »

Oh Gawd what a beautiful guitar!  I know you will enjoy it Todd.  You are also a brave soul for making personal sacrifices to take care of your parents, that is a very tough venue, from my own personal experience.  It will all work out, life has its way of taking care of things.  This cannot be a bad decision...

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:59:38 PM »

Thanks guys - Dad actually took another turn for the worse today - trying to decide what the plan of action is as I type.
Interestingly enough, I've not been a fan of bursts, but I think this one may be tolerable.  I know most mid 90's Taylors are!

Here's another teaser...

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

old folky

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »

Sorry about your Dad Todd.  I have an old VCR movie of Nanci playing a live performance called "One Fair Summer Evening" and just love it.  Nice looking guitar.

Best wishes
Allan

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »

Sorry about your Dad Todd.  I have an old VCR movie of Nanci playing a live performance called "One Fair Summer Evening" and just love it.  Nice looking guitar.

Best wishes
Allan

Thanks Allan - tough times ahead for sure.    That performance was Nanci at the peak of her career - I saw her live the first time probably 12 years previous and had followed her up to that point.  Capable guitarist and great songwriter.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:42:26 PM »

Nanci has a natural attraction.  I somehow get the feeling that Alison Krauss may have developed a similar style that makes you wonder if she followed her...

Currently available you tube of Nanci  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBeP8dzYdg   while she was still going strong...

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »

Nanci has a natural attraction.  I somehow get the feeling that Alison Krauss may have developed a similar style that makes you wonder if she followed her...

Current you tube of Nanci  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBeP8dzYdg   still going strong...

That's actually from 2002 - this was the most recent thing I could find of her (2012)   I'm pretty sure she  had a bout with breast cancer (and possibly other complications) that has set her back.  Not 100% sure she's still touring.  I know she put out a record a couple years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEttRtvX12Q

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »

She is a good old home town Austin, Texas girl...  I really love this particular one she did in Austin live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GK462XnRjQ

Very remarkable lady, I have a couple of her albums...

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »

She is a good old home town Austin, Texas girl...  I really love this particular one she did in Austin live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GK462XnRjQ

Very remarkable lady, I have a couple of her albums...

If you don't have Poet In My Window or Light Beyond These Woods (first two) get them - desert island collection for me.    The next four or so after were still pretty good too (Once in a Very Blue Moon, Last of The True Believers, Lone Star State of Mind, Little Love Affairs)

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 06:23:48 PM »

Here's one I stumbled across a couple years back - Nanci and Lyle from about '78.   Both so young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY0AAVKIMPI

Lyle had a cameo on the cover of Nanci's "Last of the True Believers" album - he was one of the dancers, before anyone knew who he was.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »

If you don't have Poet In My Window or Light Beyond These Woods (first two) get them - desert island collection for me.    The next four or so after were still pretty good too (Once in a Very Blue Moon, Last of The True Believers, Lone Star State of Mind, Little Love Affairs)

I did not have Poet in My Window so I downloaded that one.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »

Nanci made it today - spent about 3-4 hours pulling the Baggs I-beam active, buffing the body, tweaking the setup and intonation, etc.   I must say I'm quite smitten with it - a lot more powerful than I expected and I know it will wake up some more from it's shipping.   I can certainly get by the bumps/bruises/finish checks and enjoy the sound and playability of this one.   Something special about most of the mid-nineties Taylors.  I've got a K&K coming and a set of original Grovers to replace the newer style Taylor tuners someone installed (that left holes from the screws on the old ones showing - can't have that!!)    There may be some holes in the side ala the ones I put in the Cordoba a couple months back.   I feel like there's lots of sound in there that's not getting out!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »

She's a beaut!  And I know you will make her better...

George
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »

I've been listening to Nancie Griffen forever and have all her stuff.Question didn't tour with Robert Plant?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 09:38:39 AM »

I've been listening to Nancie Griffen forever and have all her stuff.Question didn't tour with Robert Plant?

Not that I''m aware of - might be thinking of Alison Krauss

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: